Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Sebenza off center

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhyde View Post
    At what price range are flaws acceptable at?
    Here is a clue, they exist in every price range.
    I expect quality control to be on point when knives are over 150$...
    Current Collection : Benchmade 940, Spyderco Para Military 2 & Fox 479 Karambit
    Past Knives : Benchmade Axis Flipper 300-1

WHen somebody finds something in this world that is produced perfectly everytime somebody please let me know as I want to invest in that...
    Looking for Small Sebenza "Stars and Stripes" & "Freedom". Also any CRK dated December 27, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Payette View Post
    I expect quality control to be on point when knives are over 150$...
    I think you're in for a lot of disappointment.
    WTB Large Left-Handed "Riddled" Sebenza
    It's alright to be a redneck. It's alright to drive around in a dirty ol' truck. Catch a bunch of fish and shoot a bunch of duck.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrdbycotn View Post
    I think you're in for a lot of disappointment.
    This

One of my worst F&F knives I have ever received, ZT 0450. One of the best F&F knives I ever received, ZT 0450 that replaced the first one I swapped out on Amazon's return policy. Neither box was open or inspected.
    Looking for Small Sebenza "Stars and Stripes" & "Freedom". Also any CRK dated December 27, 2012

The birthdate on this was July 2016, for what it's worth.

This is unfortunate...sad really...never seen so many negative threads about qc at CRK since discovering this subforum...
    Saw an example myself of a new inkosi with uneven grinds...
    Having purchased over a dozen new CRKs over the last three years, I have never had uneven grinds or off center blades...never expected that from them.
    Hope they take notice and address these issues.
    416isToronto on Instagram

https://instagram.com/416isToronto/

I sent in a large 21 recently for a spa, and it came back off center. It wasn't off when I mailed it in. I need to send it back, but I am tired paying the fee and waiting two months. Got a small 21 recently and it came with the edge not completely sharpened. One side looked finished and the other was all rough and dull. I had plans to purchase one more large 21, but I may not. I'm tired of having to worry about flaws. I have been enjoying my delica and g10 cryo more lately. I don't feel conflicted when I notice that something is a little off or poorly done with those. Anyone else in this boat?
    BTW, the Cryo is nearly flawless and functions better than my zt0566.

Quote Originally Posted by bhyde View Post
    At what price range are flaws acceptable at?
    Here is a clue, they exist in every price range.
    Absolutey,and besides that blade centering looks spot on to me.
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I definitely think there is a reasonable expectation that a $400 pocket knife is going to have more attention to detail than that of say a $100-$200 pocket knife. There are brands of production knives that I have purchased that have always been perfect out the box. And you expect that consistency from great brands of all products. Sure there are going to be one offs, but those should not be the norm. So when you buy a $400 knife and have to cross your fingers that you get a "good one", thats a problem that needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickj79 View Post
    I definitely think there is a reasonable expectation that a $400 pocket knife is going to have more attention to detail than that of say a $100-$200 pocket knife. There are brands of production knives that I have purchased that have always been perfect out the box. And you expect that consistency from great brands of all products. Sure there are going to be one offs, but those should not be the norm. So when you buy a $400 knife and have to cross your fingers that you get a "good one", thats a problem that needs to be addressed.
    You can't be serious. So, due to a few threads, it's now a crapshoot as to whether a CRK shows up in the condition it should be in?

Sent from my iPhone using magic
    It's alright to be a redneck. It's alright to drive around in a dirty ol' truck. Catch a bunch of fish and shoot a bunch of duck.

Three years ago when I bought my 25 it came horribly off center. I contacted the dealer (very popular) and they offered to exchange it with another. They inspected the replacement, and I sent the first one back. The second one came perfectly centered but with a slight uneven edge grind towards the tip. It's not what I would consider bad, so I put it into service and it's served me well ever since.

Point is, none of this is "new", and everyone makes mistakes. If you buy a knife, any knife, and it's not to your liking, contact the dealer and send it back for return/exchange and move on. FWIW, nothing I've seen from CRK gives me any reason to be concerned, in fact, I've spent all morning searching for a large unique before I pull the trigger on a large insingo micarta. My four year old daughter has been helping me shop, and we've had a great time doing it together. I may end up letting her choose. Life is short dudes, try to enjoy yourselves and your high end knives.

Does it still function? Does it still cut? If yes to both those questions then whats the problem? When did tools become something to look at instead of something to use?

I'm really happy with my Sebenza and Chris Reeve has more quality awards than any knife company bar none. That said,I'd be really disappointed if I bought a knife like the OP posted. Anyone can make mistakes but unless the QC team has been replaced recently I think most would not exspect this to have gone out the door ?
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

The birth card on the last Sebenza I purchased had a date of February 22, 2017. The "0" in 2017 was not perfectly round, the "b" and "r" in February were actually touching . These two examples of sloppy penmanship on a birth card of knife at this price point is unacceptable. Not only unacceptable but very off-putting.
    Rob - (Goofy Doofus)
    "Oil the Joints"

Quote Originally Posted by pwrdbycotn View Post
    You can't be serious. So, due to a few threads, it's now a crapshoot as to whether a CRK shows up in the condition it should be in?

Sent from my iPhone using magic
    I'm a CRK fan. My go to EDC is my new CF Inkosi. And it was purchased with the intent of being a user. Functionality is hands down #1 for me and CRK makes a beautiful blade. That being said I frequent an authorized dealer and have turned on friends of mine to CRK. Customer service from both CR, dealer, and online dealers have been fantastic. Buuut I have seen some CR's with issues that I wouldn't expect from them based on what I've heard and read.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhorse View Post
    I'm really happy with my Sebenza and Chris Reeve has more quality awards than any knife company bar none. That said,I'd be really disappointed if I bought a knife like the OP posted. Anyone can make mistakes but unless the QC team has been replaced recently I think most would not exspect this to have gone out the door ?
    Indeed.
    I have high expectations for purchased items. Certainly, there would be some disappointment but it's not the end of the world.
    If the manufacturer stands behind their product and is willing to make it right, regardless of who or what it is, then I will give them a fair shake.
    If not, then I vote with my wallet as I suspect that most people would do.

I'm a CRK fan. My go to EDC is my new CF Inkosi. And it was purchased with the intent of being a user. Functionality is hands down #1 for me and CRK makes a beautiful blade. That being said I frequent an authorized dealer and have turned on friends of mine to CRK. Customer service from both CR, dealer, and online dealers have been fantastic. Buuut I have seen some CR's with issues that I wouldn't expect from them based on what I've heard and read.
    Everyone will make their own decisions based upon the information that they have at hand. If the information at hand is a focused place of discussion like what we have here, then the numbers can and will be skewed as I stated earlier. Purchases based on expectations are great when expectations are met, so there is little reason for the masses to report on products that are received as expected..of course, if there is a problem.........

You win. I give up. Have a nice Saturday.

My apologies. I didn't mean for this thread to turn into something it wasn't meant to be. I was simply curious to see if other CRK collectors were as obsessive about centering as I am.

For what it's worth, I've purchased 11 brand new CRKs from dealers in the last 4 years. None of them had a single flaw. The Sebenza pictured in my original post is the first one I've ever received with any sort of issue.

All of these were born in 2014 / 2015 / 2016, and they were perfect in every imaginable way upon arrival. I don't think imperfections, especially so few and far between, are an indication that quality is suffering at all.

Again, my apologies for the thread getting out of hand a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy84 View Post
    Again, my apologies for the thread getting out of hand a little.
    Hey man, you can only control what you write and have absolutely no control over what other write. You provided a picture and asked a very basic question. Some chose to follow the OP and answer, others went off on their own tangent. Such is life.

Also you're Chiefs need more love, dirty those suckers up :P

No big deal..if making perfect knives was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information