Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand new Sebenza off center

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Payette View Post
    Flaws are not acceptable at this price range...
    I had to look at my 20 year olf sebenza.. noticed its not dead center either... figured as Chris is the knife master the this offset is set for right handed people in my right handed sebie. a lefty would surly kill themselves my knife due to the incompatible offset...

Quote Originally Posted by bhyde View Post
    No big deal..if making perfect knives was easy, everybody would be doing it.
    This forum needs a Like button.

Quote Originally Posted by straitr View Post
    This forum needs a Like button.
    There is a software change for the forum that is coming up soon. I have had the opportunity to check out...annnnd that is part of it.

There is a software change for the forum that is coming up soon. I have had the opportunity to check out...annnnd that is part of it.

I'm looking forward to that. VBulletin is getting pretty long-in-the -tooth.
    Cody

Living on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcongo View Post
    I'm looking forward to that. VBulletin is getting pretty long-in-the -tooth.
    No lie, Xenforo has had it and many more options for years now. Anytime I join a forum and it runs vbulletin it makes me want to pound my head into my desk at times.
    Looking for Small Sebenza "Stars and Stripes" & "Freedom". Also any CRK dated December 27, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Amoo View Post
    No lie, Xenforo has had it and many more options for years now. Anytime I join a forum and it runs vbulletin it makes me want to pound my head into my desk at times.
    Well said! I couldn't agree more 🙂👍
    Cody

Living on the edge.

Being off center would bother me too. Especially on such an expensive blade. But, as long as they replaced or fixed the issue I would be happy. I would definitely return the blade to the dealer for a swap out. I'm up to five sebenzas now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. The only one of my five that have an issue is the insingo blade. The top grind on the blade is a little off but not noticeable unless you are hardcore looking for something. The rest of the knife is perfect. Centering on all of them is spot on and the large insingo is smooth as glass. All my knives are users though and are destined to get beat up at one point or another so an ever so slightly off grind doesn't bother me.

I think the 21 pivot is supposed to just get tightened and centering is based on tolerances. I don't think it depends on the thickness of the bushings, though, I suppose, a bushing that exceeds allowed thickness would impact centering. It is strange that a lack of adjustment capability is called a strength under the guise of precision. If I pay a premium price, I demand a premium product. If the product is lesser, I expect a deep discount. If substandard products pass quality control inspections, I have to conclude satisfaction for the consumer is hit and miss, and nobody is watching the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy84 View Post
    My apologies. I didn't mean for this thread to turn into something it wasn't meant to be. I was simply curious to see if other CRK collectors were as obsessive about centering as I am.

For what it's worth, I've purchased 11 brand new CRKs from dealers in the last 4 years. None of them had a single flaw. The Sebenza pictured in my original post is the first one I've ever received with any sort of issue.

All of these were born in 2014 / 2015 / 2016, and they were perfect in every imaginable way upon arrival. I don't think imperfections, especially so few and far between, are an indication that quality is suffering at all.

Again, my apologies for the thread getting out of hand a little.
    Certainly no need for apology on your part, A84. Your OP was an entirely reasonable "what would you do?" query and you're not responsible for the wayward meanders of a thread. It's good to see you back in the neighborhood, my friend, and hope you don't feel the need to head off again if some would rather take or offer offense than answer your question.

The 8 CRKs that I've purchased all came off the Exchange, but had I bought a brand new 21 like yours from a dealer I'd likely seek to return it as well. 21's are basically not adjustable without disassembly and tinkering, which would preclude a return. As the dealer was not able to supply you with a centered replacement, the offer of a mutually satisfactory accommodation demonstrates good faith and is one I'd probably accept as well. Did you end up sending the knife in for warranty work or fool with it yourself?

I left your pics in the quote as it's always nice to look at some sweet CRKs.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away from him and he won't have his shoes.
    On the Exchange: nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    ...It is strange that a lack of adjustment capability is called a strength under the guise of precision...
    You don't understand. It is adjustable and is adjusted at the factory. This is so that when fools like me take it apart, we can put it back together w/o having to adjust it or locktite it in place. It's one of the features that makes it a classic product.

It's also one of the reasons for buying the 21 over the Inkosi for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
    You don't understand. It is adjustable and is adjusted at the factory. This is so that when fools like me take it apart, we can put it back together w/o having to adjust it or locktite it in place. It's one of the features that makes it a classic product.

It's also one of the reasons for buying the 21 over the Inkosi for some people.
    I understand the objective in designing the knife this way, but it requires the production tolerances to be maintained and quality control to ensure standards are maintained. Without the management commitment to enforce standards requirements, customers are left with a product that is out of adjustment and with no option but to return it and wait again. I point out that it is shortsighted to produce a knife that requires higher precision than is achieved and there is no way to fix or adjust it.

My '13 large WC bought used came off center. I took it apart and assembled it back and it popped back into center. No other issues. A small WC came to me used perfect.

I just got a '16 Mnandi new from the dealer, perfect. It's a knife, you cut things with it. If it's a hair off center I don't see that as a big deal. But I don't give CRK any higher credit than any of my favorite cheapo case knives or Spyderco. They all go in the edc rotation happily. There's some dudes out there that get a scratch on their knife and they immediately gotta go out and buy another to be a safe queen. Anyhow. I'm glad it worked out, CRK like Spyderco, Boker, Benchmade all have great service. It would have been made right one way or the other!

: )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
    Last edited by cchu518; 03-20-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information