Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 293

Thread: Your opinion on Emerson knives?

  1. #61

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I'm not an Emerson fan. I have 2 and don't carry them. The fit and finish is kind of poor. If you're looking for a hard use knife with G10 I would get a Benchmade or Al Mar sere. I'm very impressed with Al Mar mini sere. The fit and finish is excellent and Benchmade had many models to choose from. I have a mini Barrage from their custom build a knife page with G10 handles and the quality is excellent. Of coarse there is Emerson customs which look beautiful. I've never handled one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by bodog View Post
    Just think they haven't kept up with the times in terms of quality to price. I get some people are nostalgic and don't hold that against anyone. Emerson was once what ZT is now. 25 years from now people will like whatever ZT produces regardless of what else is on the market at that time. We all like what we like. People are sharing what they like and others sharing what they don't like and it's all good. The original poster asked for all opinions, not just ones favorable to the brand.
    Great & accurate quote right here...

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    24
    Well the guy who started this thread sure got a pissing match started, and he doesn't even owned a damn Emerson! Way to go.... again the argument is either they love them or they bitch about cost vs build quality. It'll never change with the Emerson brand because nothing will ever be good enough for the guy spending $ on a high end knife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #64
    How about you make your point without foul language in the family friendly portion of the forum? I too use adult language, but where appropriate.

    And your "nothing will ever be good enough" line is pure garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by SigKershaw View Post
    Well the guy who started this thread sure got a pissing match started, and he doesn't even owned a damn Emerson! Way to go.... again the argument is either they love them or they bitch about cost vs build quality. It'll never change with the Emerson brand because nothing will ever be good enough for the guy spending $ on a high end knife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    in the swamps in dixie
    Posts
    3,581
    Quote Originally Posted by SigKershaw View Post
    Well the guy who started this thread sure got a pissing match started, and he doesn't even owned a damn Emerson! Way to go.... again the argument is either they love them or they bitch about cost vs build quality. It'll never change with the Emerson brand because nothing will ever be good enough for the guy spending $ on a high end knife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    naw, no nastiness going on....just differing perceptions, demands for the price point and opinions. maybe im reading everyones posts wrongly but all i read was debating,....... not egos out of control or rudeness etc.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by SigKershaw View Post
    Well the guy who started this thread sure got a pissing match started, and he doesn't even owned a damn Emerson! Way to go.... again the argument is either they love them or they bitch about cost vs build quality. It'll never change with the Emerson brand because nothing will ever be good enough for the guy spending $ on a high end knife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it's probably time to close Tapatalk for a couple hours, none of this is personal. Most hobby products have people that both love them and hate them this hobby product is no different.
    Don't scab for the bosses Don't listen to their lies Poor folks ain't got a chance Unless they organize --Florence Reese

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by SigKershaw View Post
    Well the guy who started this thread sure got a pissing match started, and he doesn't even owned a damn Emerson! Way to go.... again the argument is either they love them or they bitch about cost vs build quality. It'll never change with the Emerson brand because nothing will ever be good enough for the guy spending $ on a high end knife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I respectfully disagree about nothing being good enough. Some people have higher standards for what a certain price point can offer.

    If I only had $30 to buy a knife my standards are such that I'd want an Ontario Rat. And if there was a jarbenza knife sitting right next to it selling for the same price I'd go with the Rat because I can clearly see that for $30 I can get something as good as a Rat and I don't need to settle for the jarbenza. If someone really liked the jarbenza and would rather spend $30 on one of those then no one can say it's bad because it's not their money. The question becomes, what if the jarbenza has a really good design and they outsourced/collaboration with other companies who CAN make good knives and they can do it for the same price as the original jarbenza? Well, then it'd be possible I'd buy the design from the company who has proven to make solid knives if the design spoke to me. And that's just as fine. It's my money, I worked for it, and if I say something does or doesn't meet my own personal standards that's my choice to make, just as your choice is yours to make, even if you choose the original jarbenza.

    You definitely shouldn't get mad when people who've held the Rat and the jarbenza try to tell people who haven't held both some points about both and whether the jarbenza is actually worth what's being asked. It's not like anyone is saying YOU can't buy a jarbenza, just that maybe others shouldn't. Especially when opinions are asked for.
    Last edited by bodog; 03-12-2017 at 06:02 PM.

  8. #68
    I have been into knives for years and they come and go and my top two production folders are still Emerson and Spyderco. Both brands have never let me down.
    rolf

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jerzee, ya devilz
    Posts
    84,906
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    I have been into knives for years and they come and go and my top two production folders are still Emerson and Spyderco. Both brands have never let me down.
    rolf


    None of my knives have let me down, all of them were worth what I paid or I'd have left them for someone else to buy, and however cheap, at least I know how to use them.

    Moaning and groaning? Sell them off or donate them to your local Scout troop.

    My only complaint about Spyderco is how much space they take up around here !!! No complaint about Emersons, I still got room for more.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Esav Benyamin View Post


    None of my knives have let me down, all of them were worth what I paid or I'd have left them for someone else to buy, and however cheap, at least I know how to use them.

    Moaning and groaning? Sell them off or donate them to your local Scout troop.

    My only complaint about Spyderco is how much space they take up around here !!! No complaint about Emersons, I still got room for more.
    [Drops the mike]

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    24
    I apologize to everyone for a misplaced word on my last post. I'm assuming it's fine to trash talk a company all you like, but if you use the B word, it's all over but the crying. It is getting nasty in here, and our opinions are getting heated. I'm learning that the knife community can either be tight knit or trash talk very quickly when $ is involved. With all that said, I'll no longer post on this thread. And again, I apologize for the language.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by SigKershaw View Post
    I apologize to everyone for a misplaced word on my last post. I'm assuming it's fine to trash talk a company all you like, but if you use the B word, it's all over but the crying. It is getting nasty in here, and our opinions are getting heated. I'm learning that the knife community can either be tight knit or trash talk very quickly when $ is involved. With all that said, I'll no longer post on this thread. And again, I apologize for the language.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Step away from the booze. You're too personally invested in emerson's company. Unless you're an emerson employee! Hmmm
    Last edited by bodog; 03-12-2017 at 08:06 PM.

  13. #73
    Getting heated in here this guy would have an aneurysm in some of the strider, qtrmstr, ganzo threads that have gone down.


    I'll say this about Emerson, he has an eye for design. Quite a few of his folders catch my eye and look like they'd fit my hand like a glove. If Emersons came with a tri-ad lock... damn. Count me in for one of every model.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    in the swamps in dixie
    Posts
    3,581
    Quote Originally Posted by shinyedges View Post
    Getting heated in here this guy would have an aneurysm in some of the strider, qtrmstr, ganzo threads that have gone down.


    I'll say this about Emerson, he has an eye for design. Quite a few of his folders catch my eye and look like they'd fit my hand like a glove. If Emersons came with a tri-ad lock... damn. Count me in for one of every model.
    yep and yep. wish we'd see an emerson with a tri-ad as well. put it on the old wish list.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    516
    I love Ernie and everything he's done and stands for. I really like his designs, and the Commander is iconic. Every Emerson I've owned has been solid as a rock and problem free. They're also super easy to take apart and maintain. My one and only issue is blade grinds/bevels. If I were more fond of chisel grind (or V grind/chisel bevel) or if reprofiling didn't void the warranty, I would own dozens of Emersons.

    The Gentleman Jim is one of my favorite knife designs ever, and I really like the Persian and Bandito as well. If I ever stumble across a Kwaiken, I'll probably pick it up. I love all their pointy stuff.

    I would recommend everyone try an Emerson and judge for themselves. If you don't like it, they're pretty easy to sell and they hold value well if not beaten up. You can also find a used one just to dip your toe in the Emerson pool for less.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    128
    Emerson's are great at being knives that get used. Emerson's are terrible at being knives that sit in an a safe.
    They are 100% made in America which brings a higher price than something made in China.
    If someone wants to put a $100 clip on their knife then more power to them. The chisel grind is great for cutting and only having to sharpen one side? Too easy.
    The wave feature is probably one of the top design features to come out in the past 50 years. When used correctly, a waved knife is the fastest deploying folder available.
    Lots of people don't like Emersons. To each their own. Lots of people don't like 1911s, Coke, Fords, Baseball, or Blonds either.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by armytxn View Post
    Emerson's are great at being knives that get used. Emerson's are terrible at being knives that sit in an a safe.
    They are 100% made in America which brings a higher price than something made in China.
    If someone wants to put a $100 clip on their knife then more power to them. The chisel grind is great for cutting and only having to sharpen one side? Too easy.
    The wave feature is probably one of the top design features to come out in the past 50 years. When used correctly, a waved knife is the fastest deploying folder available.
    Lots of people don't like Emersons. To each their own. Lots of people don't like 1911s, Coke, Fords, Baseball, or Blonds either.
    That's a load of bunk. I don't even know where to start. Almost everything in that post is bunk.

    Emerson's are great at being knives that get used.

    So is every knife that gets used. That's a lot, from $5 pieces of crap to thousands of dollars of worth of knife.



    Emerson's are terrible at being knives that sit in an a safe.

    They can sit in a safe like any other knife.

    They are 100% made in America which brings a higher price than something made in China.

    Plenty of knives made in America cost in the same price range if not less and function great. Ever handled a Kershaw Blur?



    If someone wants to put a $100 clip on their knife then more power to them.

    Yep.


    The chisel grind is great for cutting and only having to sharpen one side? Too easy.

    Not really. Not in any respect unless you're talking about thin kitchen knives. They're actually not any better or worse cutters than a lot of other grinds for their intended use. Chisel grinds are pretty bad when left thick and are much harder to sharpen compared to other grinds considering how much steel needs to be removed. And all of that black coating on all those blades? Gone. That is, if you use it enough to need to sharpen it. Chisel grinds are great for chisels. I'll grant you that. You want a folding chisel? I don't, I want a folding knife.

    The wave feature is probably one of the top design features to come out in the past 50 years.

    Maybe not one of the best, but it is definitely a feature to come out in the last 50 years. I tend to think locks, pocket clips, one handed opening, CNC machining, washer pivots, good stainless steel, and multitools in general are pretty up there as far as cutting tools are concerned.


    When used correctly, a waved knife is the fastest deploying folder available.

    Possible. Depends on the person and what they're used to and what they're wearing.


    Lots of people don't like Emersons.

    A lot.

    To each their own.

    True.

    Lots of people don't like 1911s, Coke, Fords, Baseball, or Blonds either.

    Yeah, but emerson knives aren't on the same level as any of those things at all. Some people don't like emersons, therefore they hate sex and having millions of dollars and private islands and Sweden. Ridiculous comparison dude.
    Last edited by bodog; 03-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    128
    The easy thing would be to start at the beginning. Why do you think it is bunk.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    128
    My point for the knife being used versus the safe: they are good at being used but not for those people that buy knives to keep as safe queens because they believe the knife would be a good investment for the future.

    The made in America comment: The difference between Emerson and Kershaw, company wise is pretty big. Logistically speaking, Emerson does the same thing as Kershaw with a quarter of the personnel. So yes, prices will be higher.

    The cutting comment:this was my own personal experience talking. I have owned 8 different knives from Emerson and they all cut pretty good to my tastes. I noticed no difference between my other knives. Always found them easy to sharpen. Again this is my experience. If you are to the contrary then we are at an impasse.
    I do agree with you about the black coating. It does come of pretty easy, that is why I prefer the plain baldes.

    The wave feature: has been used by other knife companies so I guess that means it is decent.

    My last comment about the 1911, etc was more about how these posts always fire up a good debate. You will always be a good discussion about the topic with valid points from both sides. Sometimes though, they can be pretty heated.

    If I struck a nerve, that was not my intent. I just wanted to add my thoughts on the matter

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    10
    Well I'm the person to start this thread. I've decided to go ahead and purchase a Emerson. If I don't like it it Blade HQ has a 30 day return period. Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I got much more emotional responses than I thought!
    Keep on cutting!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •