Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen Putman scales

Allen Putman scales

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I got some blue ones in for my Manix XL and did another little Saturday project!

The Manix XL stepped side of the pivot is on the presentation side this time

All disassembled

Blue lok tite on all of the screws makes disassembly a breeze!

All out together with blue lok tite and Tuf Glide. As always, perfect fit and finish!

And an outside shot to see the real color of the scales!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

I got my Para 3 in and decided I would customize it a little bit! It's a bit on the smaller side and I tend to gravitate towards larger folders, so we'll see after a few days of carrying, if I'm going to keep it or not. Regardless, it's a sweet blade and Spyderco's CQI never ceases to amaze me! This one is a perfect example of a folder!

Allen Putman makes some really nice scales

Right hand clip side is the stepped side of the pivot. Very crucial when you go to adjust pivot tension, as the stepped side is different on different models.

All assembled with perfect fit and finish!

Looks excellent Bravo!!
    I put Allen's scales on a bunch of my Spydies!! You're right, perfect fit!
    Joe

Custom pool cues......high end air rifles......and now sharp pointy things.......yup, I'm broke!!
    Anybody wanna play some 9 ball??????

Quote Originally Posted by palonej View Post
    Looks excellent Bravo!!
    I put Allen's scales on a bunch of my Spydies!! You're right, perfect fit!
    Joe

Oh those look great! I don't think I have ever seen them on a Millie or Yo!

Thanks bro!! Allen's scales make these feel so much better in hand!
    Custom pool cues......high end air rifles......and now sharp pointy things.......yup, I'm broke!!

Yes they do! Allen and Steve (bommer52) are my go to for aftermarket Spydie scales. That red looks good with the Cruwear!

Those are definitely some handsome scales!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Those orange scales looks great on the Para 3! Thanks for sharing the build pics.

I've got some Putman orange grooved scales on my PM2 and love them. I got them slightly used for a song and a dance, and I can't do either of those things well. Fitment was perfect and they feel very comfy in hand.
    Chris

Willoughby...Next stop, Willoughby.
    SpyderNation #6765

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_edge View Post
    I've got some Putman orange grooved scales on my PM2 and love them. I got them slightly used for a song and a dance, and I can't do either of those things well. Fitment was perfect and they feel very comfy in hand.
    I was gonna get the Manix XL scales from Boomer52 but he didn't have a file for them. I think those orange grooved ones used to belong to me and I sold the whole knife to another member, who sold the scales off!

I'm pretty "meh" on my PM2 but I love the Putman scales that I installed on it. I probably won't install any on my Manix 2s because they feel perfect to me but I threw them on some ZT 0566s.
    I bought a set for my Karahawk but those had an issue so I stuck with the factory scales.

Those look great. I have an older Manix 2 that needs a face lift. Ill hve to check out what is available.

Quote Originally Posted by 91bravo View Post
    I was gonna get the Manix XL scales from Boomer52 but he didn't have a file for them. I think those orange grooved ones used to belong to me and I sold the whole knife to another member, who sold the scales off!
    If so, then I owe you a "thank you". With a few options for aftermarket scales by providers here on the forum, the Putman scales were not really on my radar. But because the orange ones became available at a good price, I gave them a shot. I'm very happy with them.
    Chris

Willoughby...Next stop, Willoughby.
    SpyderNation #6765

Your Manix 2 XL looks great with that mod. This is the first time I've ever seen a good picture of the Putnam honeycomb scales up close. I really like them.

Did they change the weight/balance of the knife?
    "Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty."
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Kels73 View Post
    Your Manix 2 XL looks great with that mod. This is the first time I've ever seen a good picture of the Putnam honeycomb scales up close. I really like them.

Did they change the weight/balance of the knife?
    They are thicker in hand than the factory scales. Not very much, but enough to notice the slight increase in girth. They make the knife slightly heavier, but not exactly sure. They beefen up the knife pretty good though. Allen has a 15% off sale right now with free shipping.

I've also found Allen's are a tiny bit thicker than stock. Personally, I prefer the way they feel.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by 91bravo View Post
    They are thicker in hand than the factory scales. Not very much, but enough to notice the slight increase in girth. They make the knife slightly heavier, but not exactly sure. They beefen up the knife pretty good though. Allen has a 15% off sale right now with free shipping.
    Good to know. Thanks.
    "Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty."
    Ronald Reagan

Yes, Allen's scales are slightly thicker giving the knife a more robust feel to them!

91bravo. Looks like you used Benchmade torx bits. i just had a bad experience with a newly purchased Para 2. Used my BM torx bits and the screws stripped. I blamed it on the screws - they seemed "soft." But I was ripped by some other board members for using BM torx and not Wiha. Thoughts? Any problems with your BM torx?

I've never used WiHa bits before and have NEVER stripped a screw. Not that WiHa is bad or anything, but I think most of it is technique. If you're having to use a whole bunch of torque on a T6 screw, then something is wrong and it looks like you'll have to break the red lok tite loose first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information