Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larger or Smaller Scale Spyderco models?

Question Larger or Smaller Scale Spyderco models?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I can't tell you all how many times I've heard someone comment on a certain Spyderco model and have them say> " If it were smaller I would buy one" or some even say if that model were bigger and larger scale I would buy one.

For many years I've thought that a larger scale Spyderco Dodo model would be a beast of a utility knife. I've also thought that one of my all time favorite Spyderco models the C-60 Ayoob would make a great folder even smaller in size and scale.

It could be a bigger handle along with a wider/longer blade might be your ticket>> or it could be because of super strict knife laws in certain parts of the country would make you want a popular model in a smaller/shorter scale version.

For instance the Rookie model is actually a smaller scale of the super popular POLICE model. So which models would you all like to see in larger and/or smaller scale? Specify handle, blade ect.

I like the Dragonfly 2 but at 2.25" it gets lost in my hand.
    Love to see a Dragonfly 3.25 with the same handle options and steel as the 2, works for me.
    See, I already named it, half the job is already done.
    Spydernation Member 818
    2 Hogue X5's for sale, cheap!!!
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-Hogue-X5-s-fs

I find, at least for me, that the height of most spyderco blades makes the knives take up much more pocket space than they should.

I enjoy the smaller ones. So light and a pleasure to use. I love my Leafstorm and Techno. I just heard they are making the Techno 2 AKA The Mouse from Marcin Slysz!

Big Knife

I bought a Manix 2 XL which is BIG. I didn't have room in my pocket for both the knife with it's clip, and my hand. At the suggestion of a forum member I removed the clip and it just sits in my pocket like everything else. It works GREAT. I don't even know it is there and I am not a big person. The size and weight are a non issue.

I am getting away from the clips more and more. I don't tear up my pants and I don't advertise I am carrying a knife. The latter is no problem here in GA, but it somehow just doesn't look right ion the hospital where I work.

I wish they made a bigger Paramilitary 2. Wait, that's the Military. Already have one.
    I wish they made a smaller Paramilitary 2. Come to think of it, that's the Para 3, and have that one too.
    I wish they came in different steels and handles. Hmm, that's weird, they do.

Never mind. All good here

Bigger & Smaller both could improve some models

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned either larger scale renditions of some of Spyderco's smaller specialty blades like the SPOT model or the TOAD model. I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned smaller scale versions of some of Spyderco's great full sized folders and fixed blades like the Sprint Run SPYKER or even the BATTLESTATION for that matter. I would also love to see a smaller scale version of the SOUTHFORK model and to see that model in Spyderedge as well.

Come on folks!! put your imaginations to work because you all know that there are models that you've thought that about. Just remember the TEMP 2 model was pretty much a larger scale version of the TEMP 1 with a few modifications.

But most of all I truly want to see a bigger scale version of the DODO more than anything at this point. Oh one last suggestion>> how about a larger scale version of the C-17 Catcherman model

The Paramilitary 2 is the PERFECT size everything. Blade is just right, handle is just right, weight could be a smidgen heavier but I love it so much

Who Dares Wins

My Manix XL is a favorite work folder of mine. I would love to see an XXL, same width but get the blade length out to 4".

Thumbs up Temperance 1: Perfect from the start

One that I would like to see go back to the beginning of it's debut is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. Being the TEMPERANCE 2 model was merely a larger scale version of the TEMP 1 for the most part. Myself I truly believe that they had it perfect the first go-around. The TEMP 1 was one of the very few fixed blades that they offered in Spyderedge and it was a great performer in Spyderedge.

With the TEMP 1 model and as much as I have dearly loved it over the years I will deviate from the main topic of this thread and declare that was one model that they had perfect from it's inception. But overall there are a lot of Spyderco models that would benefit from being offered in smaller and larger scale renditions.

I like the one Brother's idea of a supersized Manix That truly does have possiblities. I would like to see a larger scale version of the SPYKER which was one of Spyderco's first high quality recurve units. I can only imagine how majestic it would be in a large fixed blade rendition.

This was already mentioned in another thread but a mini-manix wouldn't be awful for those of us that deal with the 3" knife laws. It would directly compete with the mini-grip that I currently rotate with a sage 3, but the sage gets saved for "fancy pants" days since it has such a nice look. Mini-manix would add the hard use look back into. Technically, if the sage didn't look so good and I didn't want to worry about adding a bunch of wear marks on it, it would be great as the bolt-action is a bit smoother than the cbb lock but the sbb lock screams toughness.

I'd go for a 3 inch Roadie, basically a spyderco sodbuster. Looking forward to the h1 sheepsfoot manbug, I'm hoping that works well for a paddling knife for me, where the other ones are a bit big.

How about a larger K2! 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    I like the Dragonfly 2 but at 2.25" it gets lost in my hand.
    Love to see a Dragonfly 3.25 with the same handle options and steel as the 2, works for me.
    See, I already named it, half the job is already done.
    I was gonna say the same thing! Great minds, huh?
    "We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
    - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by BrandoSpoke View Post
    The Paramilitary 2 is the PERFECT size everything. Blade is just right, handle is just right, weight could be a smidgen heavier but I love it so much
    Yeah there are a few models that are perfect from the get-go. Like I said in my previous post regarding the TEMPERANCE 1 model>> to me it was letter-perfect from the day it was released. But there are models that I do believe would benefit greatly from either being a larger or smaller scale version IMO.

I've talked to a lot of people that agree with me that a larger scale DODO model would truly be an EDC dream come true>> especially in Spyderedge.

For guys who live in areas that have really draconian knife laws I just know in my gut that a smaller scale Ayoob model would be a great option.

I think if the Tatanka was just 2" longer, with .1mm thicker stock, it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by RLDubbya View Post
    I think if the Tatanka was just 2" longer, with .1mm thicker stock, it would be perfect.
    That's really interesting "RLDubbya" because the "TATANKA" model is already a big beast by folder standards as it is. I would say why not just make a fixed blade version of it?>> and of course offer it in PE & SE both.

I also think that there are a lot of fixed blades that could benefit by having a smaller version of them done>> just look at the success of the STREETBEAT model for instance>> it's actually done far better in sales than it's big Brother models have.

I don't know that I've had models I wish were bigger or smaller, but there were some that I kinda wished were fixed blades. Like the Manix XL. I'd loved to have a fixed version of that knife.

Smaller Pattada, smaller 3" or 2.95" manix
    Want to buy: Small Sebenza or Mnandi in Bloodwood, Honduran Rosewood (grail knife), or a bleach blonde/yellow-ish tinted mammoth

Yojumbo. 3.75"-4" blade. Please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information