Thread: AMK-77 2X72 Grinder

Question AMK-77 2X72 Grinder

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Ok, I've been on this for a long time and this is the best deal I've found: http://amktactical.com/epages/3c926a...288.sf/en_US/?

Comes with both 10 or 12 inch wheel (your choice) and the flat platen for $1,348.99 *includes shipping.

Check out the switching @ about 3:07, that's awesome.

One question though. How can you use the smaller wheels, like say a 1 incher?

Does anyone know?

It's a neat design and there are features about it I like. But being able to switch quickly from a flat platen to a wheel isn't something I need to do regularly, so losing the tool arm style to speed up the swapping doesn't do anything for me.

I spend most of my time on the flat platen and then switch betweeh 6" wheel, 10", 12", rotary platen, slack platen, small wheel attachment. Rarely back and forth between two of them.

I'm with Kuraki an this one. Pretty neat, but useless for how I work most of the time switching between flat, small and 8" and once I make/buy some more tooling add those to the list.
    Everybody's got one killer story. It doesn't take talent to tell that story, it just takes experience.

Marc

oxx:{}:::::::>

Quote Originally Posted by kuraki View Post
    It's a neat design and there are features about it I like. But being able to switch quickly from a flat platen to a wheel isn't something I need to do regularly, so losing the tool arm style to speed up the swapping doesn't do anything for me.

I spend most of my time on the flat platen and then switch betweeh 6" wheel, 10", 12", rotary platen, slack platen, small wheel attachment. Rarely back and forth between two of them.
    I'm new to this and find myself swapping more than I probably should. I just wonder if this is capable of using the smaller wheels.

And for the price for what you get it seems like a good deal!

I use a .5", .75", 1.5", 4", 2" and 10" wheels.

So they really need to figure out how to allow for more wheel sizes.

I'd rather have a toolbar and a rigid steel frame

I guess I will contact them. Just thought someone here would know. I will post my findings if anyone is interested.

Well, to answer your question, there doesn't appear to be any reason you couldn't replace the wheel or platen with a small wheel attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    I'd rather have a toolbar and a rigid steel frame
    That's me too. I want the mass of steel to keep vibration down.

As with a lot of the different grinder designs out there today, there are a few things I like and appreciate about the AMK, and a few I'm not wild about. Personally, I prefer a tool arm set up, and I'm not sure that the advantages of a "self storing, quick change platen/wheel" configuration really outweigh the advantages you get with an interchangeable tool arm system. If you're the only company that does something, as they claim in the video, there may be a reason.

At any rate, it looks like a fine machine, and I certainly wouldn't mind having one as a secondary machine for general roughing, deburring etc..., but I'm not sure it would quite fit my needs as a primary machine. If they could figure out a way to implement a small wheel holder without necessarily losing a platen or contact wheel, they they'd have quite a contender. That said, I also think this would fit really well for a mobile work truck setup (or sharpening station, or whatever) as it appears to be relatively compact and light weight, but with plenty of power and capacity.
    -Andrew (Drew) Riley

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
    Check it out and Subscribe!
    You can also follow me on Instagram: arcustomknives
    or Facebook: AR Custom Knives

I wouldn't mind it if I had 2 of them. I'd have one set up with a 12" wheel and flat platen and I bet, without a big wheel and platen I could fit a 6" wheel, small wheel and rotary platen on the other grinder. Then I'd never have to change an arm again. Or trip over them because I haven't made a rack for them yet. Ooh I just had an idea that on the 6"/rotary/small wheel machine you could probably rotate it in a way that would let you run the belt under the 6" wheel and over the small wheel to get into really tight radii. That would be cool.

I was an early buyer of AMK, and mine has been a good performer for me. Being made of primarily Aluminum has not been a detractor in any way--they sell a small wheel adapter, you simply undo two hex head cap screws and pull the flat platen and place the small wheel attachment on there--I change mine out in about 1 minute- the one they sell works well, the owner Alan will tell you that one needs to run the small wheels slower since their bearings are smaller--so I do--been using mine for about 18 months and no issues with my small wheels at all. The contact wheel they sell the unit with works very well, and mine has shown no wear at all in the time I've had it. All in all I like my AMK--my second grinder was/is a Northridge and it is a better grinder to me, but it was quite a bit more $ for sure.

I don't think you will have any issues with an AMK if you go that way.
    WTB single blade sheepfoot barlow

I've been running my small wheels on my single speed grinder for over 6 months now. I really only use the 3/4". 3,160 sfpm the whole time. She's been whistling away at 16,100 rpm without a hitch. I know it's going to burn up faster than a bigger bearing, but I haven't done anything about it because I'm going to find out just how much faster

I got a reply back: We have a small wheel fixture that adapts to the AMK-77 .
    You can use wheels from 1/2" to 2".

So I guess its one more thing to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by kuraki View Post
    I've been running my small wheels on my single speed grinder for over 6 months now. I really only use the 3/4". 3,160 sfpm the whole time. She's been whistling away at 16,100 rpm without a hitch. I know it's going to burn up faster than a bigger bearing, but I haven't done anything about it because I'm going to find out just how much faster
    I do the same. Epoxied a piece of automotive heater hose on my 3/4 to try and soften the wheel a bit. It worked somewhat, but now the wheel is 1". Never had a heat issue. I would lightly spritz but really never needed it. Just bought a new 1/2" wheel and that sucker was roasting. Gotta pay attention now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an AKM-77 single speed . It has been pretty good. I have had the chance to grind on a burr king and a bader variable. Did not notice a huge difference. I do wish that the AKM had variable speed on it, but cash was tight.

It is quiet and will hawg them out pretty good. I dished the platen out pretty quick. If you don't opt for the hardened platen, put glass over it as soon as you can or harden the platen yourself.

Good times.

Thread Information