Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Getting rid of lanyard pin rattle on a small 21.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    O-hi-ya
    Posts
    495

    Getting rid of lanyard pin rattle on a small 21.


    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Hey all, I have a small micarta insingo 21. I love the look of the lanyard pin but I don't like a lanyard on a knife with a clip. I quickly discovered that without the lanyard the pin rattles, much to my annoyance. So, has anyone got a quick fix for the shakes?

  2. #2
    I have never done it but have tried a ticker paracord maybe 550 not sure if it will go tru but maybe remove the inner strands? And burn the tips so it doesnt come out. Heard that fixes it but unsure.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not rich enough to buy cheap stuff.

    WTB: Shirogorov Hati CF M390

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    off the reservation
    Posts
    1,767
    Just thinking on this myself..the is a company that makes a pin for the large to eliminate the lanyard..but not the small..Ibwould love to keep the CRK pin and remove the lanyard..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    60
    Might try a very small dab of Elmer's glue to secure the pin to one of the handles. The glue should break free easily if you want it too, but should hold strong enough to stop the rattle. Haven't tried this myself so you may want to research various glues that may work better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    362
    Take the pin of.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    State of Insanity
    Posts
    10,982
    A single drop of superglue applied to the inside of ONE slab where the pin passes through should hold it still.
    Want to buy CRK Mnandis from 2011 and 2012

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    On a river in Michigan
    Posts
    3,063
    I put a small piece of string through the pin hole. The string stuck a little bit on both ends. I had to force the pin in the lanyard

    hole. The pin has been in the hole for about 2 years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Port Pirie South Australia
    Posts
    35
    Try plumbers/thread tape. I have used it instead of loctite on pivot screws. Would be a fiddly lil job but should work around the ends of the pin that meet the scales.

    Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    938
    NO NO NO! Don't do anything that drastic. Just put a very short length of paracord through the pin just long enough to stick a tiny bit out of both sides of the pin. Then burn the ends of that little paracord length and squish them to mushroom them against the pin. Now your pin won't rattle as if it had the lanyard in, but you don't have to have the lanyard.

    I think Chris Reeve should be supplying lanyard pins that don't fall out by now, like cooooommeeee oooonnn.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,641

    Getting rid of lanyard pin rattle on a small 21.

    Just use a bit of clear tubing such as found in aquarium stores for air pumps etc. cut it the exact length to fit snug between the scales and slide it over the pin.

    Assemble the knife and you're done. No rattle and the clear tubing does not detract from the aesthetics.

    This can be done on the large as well to prevent the lanyard pin falling out.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    60
    Earplugs should silence the rattle. Don't glue them in though!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Mabuse View Post
    Hey all, I have a small micarta insingo 21. I love the look of the lanyard pin but I don't like a lanyard on a knife with a clip. I quickly discovered that without the lanyard the pin rattles, much to my annoyance. So, has anyone got a quick fix for the shakes?
    Don't shake the knife and it won't rattle .

    I've had mine for several years and didn't like the rattle at first, but it never rattles w/o being shaked.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by brownshoe View Post
    Don't shake the knife and it won't rattle .

    I've had mine for several years and didn't like the rattle at first, but it never rattles w/o being shaked.
    That's priceless!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    203
    Heat shrink tubing does a good job. Cover enough the areas exposed and shrink wrap it. The pin wont rattle when installed. Furthermore these tubes comes in various colours too.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lapedog View Post
    NO NO NO! Don't do anything that drastic. Just put a very short length of paracord through the pin just long enough to stick a tiny bit out of both sides of the pin. Then burn the ends of that little paracord length and squish them to mushroom them against the pin. Now your pin won't rattle as if it had the lanyard in, but you don't have to have the lanyard.

    I think Chris Reeve should be supplying lanyard pins that don't fall out by now, like cooooommeeee oooonnn.
    Just a quick note that the pins on the small 21s don't fall out like the large 21s. The trick mentioned above won't work on a small. The pin will still rattle back and forth.

    Having said that I've come to like the slight rattle my small has when I handle it. I know I've got a CRK in hand. 😁

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by kgajewsky View Post
    Just a quick note that the pins on the small 21s don't fall out like the large 21s. The trick mentioned above won't work on a small. The pin will still rattle back and forth.

    Having said that I've come to like the slight rattle my small has when I handle it. I know I've got a CRK in hand. 😁
    I personally think it cheapens the feel of the knife, but to each their own. I always associate rattling with low quality/bad fit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •