Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    816

    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I like him too..

    He is a member here hopefully he'll chime in
    The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. -- Linus Torvalds

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redmond, Wa
    Posts
    2,055
    He's just another data point when investigating knife options.
    The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

  3. #23
    Nick is a good guy. He seems intelligent and thoughtful. I often don't agree with a lot of his opinions, and I think he is much more of a collector/commentator of knives rather than a user of them. I don't think this is just him, though. So many reviews on Youtube seem to be focused on the "action" of a knife, how smooth it is, etc. and no real attempt is made to demonstrate the knife's capability in cutting tasks other than paper. A smooth action is a good thing, but inordinate amounts of time and hype are spent talking about it.

    I don't mean that to denigrate him, as he makes clear in his videos, everyone who buys and uses knives has different needs and values. It's just my personal preference to hear longer-term reviews of knives in more diverse settings than just to and from the office every day for a week. I do greatly appreciate that he actually cares about knives having appropriate grinds for cutting tasks, though. This is an area that differentiates him from many others who just googoo and gaga over the latest framelock flipper with mokuti inlay and blade that's ground about as well as a shovel. I also appreciate his mockery of the "high speed low drag" crowd.

    I actually prefer watching his videos on pens and other non-knife gear.
    WTB: CRKs with birthdate 8/4/15

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    1,097
    He offers some very valuable opinions
    Last edited by 115Italian; 03-18-2017 at 09:00 AM.

  5. #25
    He is f'ing hilarious. Watch the Microtech Sigil review where he craps all over Anthony Marfione. Good stuff!

    Ugly Starts at 12:00

    https://youtu.be/IOoU79CDrf0

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,643
    I liked it when he took the Medford apart and keeps asking Greg not to kill him in the russian voice.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    5,692
    I remember he posted in this sub in regards to Gareth Bull. He needed some parts for his knife.
    Seemed like a regular guy. Nothing like the sanctimonious apostle dip stick.
    Custom pool cues......high end air rifles......and now sharp pointy things.......yup, I'm broke!!
    Anybody wanna play some 9 ball??????

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida panhandle
    Posts
    1,807
    I ve only seen a couple of his reviews, but I like him.

  9. #29
    I think my favorite/most memorable reviews from him were the Shirogorov knives - he had a spot-on Russian accent and at first I had to double check that I was indeed on the right channel (he introduced himself as Nikolai, got me confused).

    I don't agree with him 100% of the time (freaking adore my ZT0456 which he ultimately didn't care for) but he's entertaining and does a good run-through of the knives he puts on his channel.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fribourg, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,590
    I like him. I don't always agree with him, but he's one of the good one's, IMO.
    Kind regards,
    Armadew

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    in the swamps in dixie
    Posts
    3,598
    Quote Originally Posted by VermontEdge View Post
    Crap I'm really sorry I think you're right. I figured this was the right area but I might be wrong. Apologies if this is the wrong place for this.

    I just feel like the guy is a solid resource and I wanted to give some positive feedback to his channel.
    naw, it's likely the right place. it guess it falls under "good." didn't think of it that way, my mistake. sorry i typed my original post so bluntly...one of my flaws....i'm a poor communicator...least that's what my wife always says.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    chester county, pa
    Posts
    19
    i like him too... i would not guessed that he is from Michigan, though.

  13. #33
    the 2 "reviewers" i'm most familiar with are NICK SHABAZZ and JIM SKELTON. between the 2 of them, i FAR PREFER NICK SHABAZZ. he doesn't take himself so seriously, and isn't anywhere near as close to as FULL OF HIMSELF as JIM SKELTON seems to be. SKELTON seems to like himself talk about knives on YOUTUBE...i think it's very UNBECOMING. he seems to think his opinions are sacrosanct. i strongly disagree. NICK seems to have a sense of humor about himself, has a nice way with words, makes alot of good points, and has a "wink" in what he says and how he says it. SKELTON to me, comes across as a supercilious BLOW-HARD, in love with the sound of his own voice, and has a tone of dramatic disrespect. personally, i don't think there's much comparison...i FAR PREFER NICK!!!...just me...jzs

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Nottingham Maryland
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by calemerson View Post
    I liked it when he took the Medford apart and keeps asking Greg not to kill him in the russian voice.
    I remember that....the "knife shaped prybar"

    Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Southern Germany
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer178 View Post
    i like him too... i would not guessed that he is from Michigan, though.
    Why? He's from Ypsilanti one of the few places he could be from with his accent.
    The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. -- Linus Torvalds

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ITS PURPLE DC.
    Posts
    7,683
    Quote Originally Posted by jzs View Post
    the 2 "reviewers" i'm most familiar with are NICK SHABAZZ and JIM SKELTON. between the 2 of them, i FAR PREFER NICK SHABAZZ. he doesn't take himself so seriously, and isn't anywhere near as close to as FULL OF HIMSELF as JIM SKELTON seems to be. SKELTON seems to like himself talk about knives on YOUTUBE...i think it's very UNBECOMING. he seems to think his opinions are sacrosanct. i strongly disagree. NICK seems to have a sense of humor about himself, has a nice way with words, makes alot of good points, and has a "wink" in what he says and how he says it. SKELTON to me, comes across as a supercilious BLOW-HARD, in love with the sound of his own voice, and has a tone of dramatic disrespect. personally, i don't think there's much comparison...i FAR PREFER NICK!!!...just me...jzs

    I agree. And after jim made a video asking if he should open what is basically a kickstarter account on patreon whilst driving a $70,000 car and bragging about how much money he spends I cant even watch another video of his. Dude quits his job to become a knifemaker asking what most guild members don't even charge. Makes no sacrifices himself and asks for a handout so he can continue his lavish lifestyle uninhibited. Yes, nick definitely wins in all departments. Jim on the other hand seems destined for the hall of shame. Not that anyone who has dipped a toe in watch collecting would be surprised. Dudes been scummy for years.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    5,692
    How true Purp!!
    I remember reading some of the scummy moves he made on members of a cigar forum.
    Major scum. If I recall correctly, he was moaning about being broke and had no where for his family to live. A member gave him a great deal on a rental property. Lived in it and never paid a bill......to this day.
    Wish I saved that link, it made for very interesting reading.
    Joe
    Custom pool cues......high end air rifles......and now sharp pointy things.......yup, I'm broke!!
    Anybody wanna play some 9 ball??????

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by PURPLEDC View Post
    I agree. And after jim made a video asking if he should open what is basically a kickstarter account on patreon whilst driving a $70,000 car and bragging about how much money he spends I cant even watch another video of his. Dude quits his job to become a knifemaker asking what most guild members don't even charge. Makes no sacrifices himself and asks for a handout so he can continue his lavish lifestyle uninhibited. Yes, nick definitely wins in all departments. Jim on the other hand seems destined for the hall of shame. Not that anyone who has dipped a toe in watch collecting would be surprised. Dudes been scummy for years.
    Wasn't he fired from his job? I don't really like him either and I stopped watching his videos a while back. Him asking for money is now more of a reason not to watch any of his vids ever. He has very expensive knives, watches and the car and is asking for money?!
    - Pablo

    God bless!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    67
    I like Nick a whole lot. He's a natural presenter, has charm and personality and is a bit self-deprecating, which is helpful when you're dealing with opinions and criticism. For instance, he states his thoughts and adds, "But what do I know?". It's refreshing since most YT's try so hard to convince you they are THE expert.

    It also helps that his biases align with mine. He focuses on aspects I'm interested in, like action, smoothness, and all that. I couldn't care less how many sledgehammer blows it took to break a lock or what-have-you. What? He's biased? Sure, I sub FOR his bias, he offers an opinion, and an opinion is merely 'the facts' filtered through an individual's perspective. There is literally no such thing as an 'un-biased' opinion, but I share the things he values so it works for me.

    And I like his voice, it's unique.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ITS PURPLE DC.
    Posts
    7,683
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Blade View Post
    Wasn't he fired from his job? I don't really like him either and I stopped watching his videos a while back. Him asking for money is now more of a reason not to watch any of his vids ever. He has very expensive knives, watches and the car and is asking for money?!
    Yes his excuse is he quit his job and no longer has the income to support his lifestyle. To which i say a lifestyle change may be in order before asking for a handout. Or maybe wait till you do have a new source of income before giving up the current one. Im sure a lot of us would like to wuit our jobs and beg..... wait. No we dont. Either way no one should be asking for money while filming a video driving a car that cost over seventy grand on a new go pro camera he received that day. And yes he used to hock watches on shopnbc and made some seriously crass nazi jokes on air to the jewish cohost. The broadcast was shutdown and he made an on air apology and was relieved of his responsibilities. But if we continue this talk it should probably be in a thread focusing on him. I dont want anyone to think nick has anything to do with his shenanigans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. PANDAFUR318

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •