Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Custom Fixed Blade - Fiddleback Nessmuk

First Custom Fixed Blade - Fiddleback Nessmuk

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I have been on a bit of a fixed blade shopping spree in the last week as I'm preparing for a good year for the backcountry. About 5 years ago I had the chance to visit Andy when he was still making knives from his basement (I live about 10 minutes from him). After purchasing a couple of Bark River Knives I wanted my first custom fixed blade to be a Fiddleback. His generosity in showing me around his business and answering some questions made a big impact. I purchased a couple of his knives this week and wanted to show one of them off today. I'm taking this one on the Appalachian Trail tomorrow...should be able to get some more good pics.

The lines on this Nessmuk are just so sexy and the colors on that handle. Great job Andy!

Fiddleback Nessmuk by Tom Watson, on Flickr

Very nice Tom. The Nessmuk in several of its varieties is one of my favorite models. That is a nice example that you have.

I would think it would be a great companion on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nbrackett View Post
    I would think it would be a great companion on the AT.
    Thanks! I'm pairing it with the Bark River Bushcrafter. Not that I need both but what the heck!?

Quote Originally Posted by FeralGentleman View Post
    Very nice Tom. The Nessmuk in several of its varieties is one of my favorite models. That is a nice example that you have.
    Thanks! I really like how this feels in the hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Nessmuk is an awesome pattern

congrats & good luck

we expect pics when you can
    Phillip
    General Manager Fiddleback Forge & Collector
    Come visit our subforum

Congratulations!! Andy's Nessmuk design is the sexiest I've seen and yours is a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Watson View Post
    I have been on a bit of a fixed blade shopping spree in the last week as I'm preparing for a good year for the backcountry. About 5 years ago I had the chance to visit Andy when he was still making knives from his basement (I live about 10 minutes from him). After purchasing a couple of Bark River Knives I wanted my first custom fixed blade to be a Fiddleback. His generosity in showing me around his business and answering some questions made a big impact. I purchased a couple of his knives this week and wanted to show one of them off today. I'm taking this one on the Appalachian Trail tomorrow...should be able to get some more good pics.

The lines on this Nessmuk are just so sexy and the colors on that handle. Great job Andy!

Tom, Not only is the Nessmuk one of my favorites, and not only is yours a exceptionally fine example, I have to add to what everyone else has said,..That's an absolutely "great capture" as they say...!
    #blackwoksmatter

Awesome! Every time I write off the Nessmuck someone comes along and posts one that makes me rethink things.

Quote Originally Posted by varga49 View Post
    Tom, Not only is the Nessmuk one of my favorites, and not only is yours a exceptionally fine example, I have to add to what everyone else has said,..That's an absolutely "great capture" as they say...!
    Appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Odaon View Post
    Awesome! Every time I write off the Nessmuck someone comes along and posts one that makes me rethink things.
    I think you should :-) That big belly of a cutting surface seems very useful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotcha View Post
    Congratulations!! Andy's Nessmuk design is the sexiest I've seen and yours is a prime example.
    I think Andy pulls this design off better than most.

That is a stellar choice for your first Fiddleback!

Besides being a visually dynamic and attractive design, Andy's Nessmuk interpretation is a super workhorse that does almost everything really well. Lots of other Fiddleback models get discussed with more frequency, but imho there is not another Fiddleback design that is as versatile. Oh yeah; that Tsunami Burlap is just way too cool!

Congrats on getting such a winner for your first Fiddleback. I am very sure you will be happy with your choice.

Now, quit being secretive and post some pics of the other Fiddlebacks you purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    That is a stellar choice for your first Fiddleback!

Besides being a visually dynamic and attractive design, Andy's Nessmuk interpretation is a super workhorse that does almost everything really well. Lots of other Fiddleback models get discussed with more frequency, but imho there is not another Fiddleback design that is as versatile. Oh yeah; that Tsunami Burlap is just way too cool!

Congrats on getting such a winner for your first Fiddleback. I am very sure you will be happy with your choice.

Now, quit being secretive and post some pics of the other Fiddlebacks you purchased.
    I will! Just didn't have time to set it up properly for a picture. Will have to wait until next week. For now, just excited to take the and my BRKT Bushcrafter on the trail.

I will! Just didn't have time to set it up properly for a picture. Will have to wait until next week. For now, just excited to take the and my BRKT Bushcrafter on the trail.

little more excitement on the Fiddleback

hahaha
    Phillip
    Come visit our subforum

Quote Originally Posted by VANCE View Post
    little more excitement on the Fiddleback

hahaha
    Maybe so! Although until this week the nicest fixed blade I've owned is the Fallkniven F1 so this is all a big step up for me.

Maybe so! Although until this week the nicest fixed blade I've owned is the Fallkniven F1 so this is all a big step up for me.

I don't want to be a jerk to Fallkniven or to you. My first nice fixed blade was a Fallkniven. It worked well and I liked it.

That being said... The step up you just took is not "big," it is absolutely HUGE!

I hope you have a fun and safe time on the Appalachian Trail tomorrow!!

Great looking knife. I like the nessmuk patten as well!

I took the same route as you. I can understand.
    At one time i hād about 20 Bark Rivers.
    Ih5ave 2 now.
    Phillip
    Come visit our subforum

Just got back from the AT. Some good times with my new Nessmuk.

The Nessmuk is one pattern I go back and forth on. I want one, then I don't, then I do, etc.. Your pictures have me wanting one again.

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by heat_treat View Post
    The Nessmuk is one pattern I go back and forth on. I want one, then I don't, then I do, etc.. Your pictures have me wanting one again.

Very nice.
    I would say it is good for its intended purpose as stated by Andy. It is a good companion knife paired with other tools. He mentions the design originally matched up with an axe and pocket knife. I could see it working itself out really well in that scenario. Over the weekend it was working really well with my food prep, doing some digging on the back side of the blade, and some other general chores around the camp. The carving was ok but the belly kept wanting to slice instead of cut deep (if that makes sense?). This might just be me getting used to it but I'm not sure yet. It was very comfortable to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by heat_treat View Post

Very nice.
    This describes my feeling towards the Nessmuck as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information