Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's the last knife the wowed you?

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by swatsniper View Post
    I've read all that today. I know plenty of guys who were no more active in combat than supply clerks that embellish their roles in the first Gulf War. But it was a whole team effort that got the job done, I don't begrudge them because they weren't behind a rifle and wish that they were. Many would have gladly dropped their assigned MOS to get into the shit right beside the the of us. It takes all types, everyone doing their part. Every man and woman who served was a hero.
    I was once even assigned to Department Of State for part of my service. I signed a security agreement longer than the closing papers on my home that hasn't expired yet!
    I don't know that anyone who doesn't know me personally could verify anything about that time, but I have the pics, the guys who were there with me and the letters to my wife of 25 years to back it up.
    That said, I'm not satisfied that it's anything more than a witch hunt by begrudged individuals.
    In the end, it's like when I buy and sell antiques, I'm not buying the story, I'm buying the item.
    I'm not buying his life story, I'm buying his knives, and his knives are VERY well made. They're a lot better than most and they come with a bulletproof lifetime guarantee.
    Me personally, I'm satisfied

As a veteran myself I can't stand people that feel the need to lie about their service record. I have exposed many myself in my time, most of which who fit the profile of our little friend Mickey Burger. They came in and got an ELS for whatever reason (injury, AWOL or other bad behavior, quitting) but then feel the need to tell everyone about their war hero status for years afterwards.

He could make the equivalent of a 500 dollar knife for a hundred bucks and I wouldn't touch it. I don't support frauds or stealing valor.

On topic, the knife that has wowed me the most is ZT0452. Old news by now, I know but I've been away for a bit and just found it. Just a perfect knife from aesthetics to function to value.
    Last edited by falar; 03-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falar View Post
    On topic, the knife that has wowed me the most is ZT0452. Old news by now, I know but I've been away for a bit and just found it. Just a perfect knife from aesthetics to function to value.
    I'm in full agreement with you on that one, I carry my 0454 regularly. That design just feels so great in hand. I wish the blade were thinner behind the edge, but I love the knife too much to let its too-thick wedge-ey blade geometry keep me from carrying it. It's amazing how a knife with that huge, comfy handle and gigantic blade carries so well. I have much smaller knives that feel a lot bigger in the pocket (e.g. a Spyderco Sage series knife feels much larger in my pocket than the giant-by-comparison 0454).

Quote Originally Posted by evilgreg View Post
    I'm in full agreement with you on that one, I carry my 0454 regularly. That design just feels so great in hand. I wish the blade were thinner behind the edge, but I love the knife too much to let its too-thick wedge-ey blade geometry keep me from carrying it. It's amazing how a knife with that huge, comfy handle and gigantic blade carries so well. I have much smaller knives that feel a lot bigger in the pocket (e.g. a Spyderco Sage series knife feels much larger in my pocket than the giant-by-comparison 0454).
    I have seen people make comments that it is "too big to carry" and my response is "Have you tried it?". It is so light it carries very comfortably and I prefer a 4" blade for EDC and this feels smaller in pocket than my 0562CF.

I haven't found the geometry lacking but I REALLY like zero edge/grinds. Josh at RE just did a badass job on a Super CQC-8 for me and I bought an "extra" 0452CF and 452G10 in M390 and am thinking about checking with him on how good of a candidate they would be for one.

Most recent knife that wowed me is the

Lionsteel TM1 carbonfibre lockback integral on bearings. The action, the engineering, the materials, the blade profile... I miss it if I don't have it on me.

2nd would be rubin's titanium & tools finger guillotine.
    Others runner ups...
    Reate horizon D w/ carbonfibre​
    Custom knife factory sohkoi 2.0
    ZT 0804cf

I would have to say the last knife that wowed me was the Sage 5 I got last year. First Sage I've owned, as well as first Spyderco made in Taiwan. That thing came with thee best grinds I've ever seen on a knife. Edge was as even as even gets. Absolutely nothing even remotely wrong. F&F was incredible. I've read how good knives come out of their plant and everything I've read was true. Beautiful example of a knife manufacturing company really trying to put out the best products they can.

Quote Originally Posted by falar View Post
    As a veteran myself I can't stand people that feel the need to lie about the service record. I have exposed many myself in my time, most of which who fit the profile of our little friend Mickey Burger. They came in and got an ELS for whatever reason (injury, AWOL or other bad behavior, quitting) but then feel the need to tell everyone about their war hero status for years afterwards.

He could make the equivalent of a 500 dollar knife for a hundred bucks and I wouldn't touch it. I don't support frauds or stealing valor.

Strider knives certainly wow a lot of people. But I am kind of with you on the lies. I won't support him. I feel the same way about people who enhance their resumes in general with false information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo2 View Post
    Most recent knife that wowed me is the

Lionsteel TM1 carbonfibre lockback integral on bearings. The action, the engineering, the materials, the blade profile... I miss it if I don't have it on me.

2nd would be rubin's titanium & tools finger guillotine.
    Others runner ups...
    Reate horizon D w/ carbonfibre​
    Custom knife factory sohkoi 2.0
    ZT 0804cf
    If the Lionsteel is what I think it is, I want one. Can you please post some pictures? Next to a ruler would be great.

Thanks.

The very last one is the ZT 0909, amazing knife . Beastly, exceptionally sturdy and manly as it might looks, itís a super good and effective slicer! Iím impressed .

Sunt rupes virtutis iter

Going to have to go with the 0450cf, lightweight, dead sexy and smooth as butter.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre cat View Post
    If the Lionsteel is what I think it is, I want one. Can you please post some pictures? Next to a ruler would be great.

Thanks.
    No ruler shots ATM. Not carrying it today...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPtnA12hdFi/

Quote Originally Posted by evilgreg View Post
    For a knife so small and stubby to have a spine so uncomfortably sharp (where I invariably ended up pressing my thumb when cutting hard with it) is just a mystifying choice to me. It makes the knife unpleasant to use. Also, I found the handle much too thick for my taste, it ends up making the knife much bulkier than it needs to be. If it were thinner I'd be more likely to wear it as a necker or throw it sheathed into a pocket, I think.
    Different strokes. But I guess I'm looking at what it was designed for. It's great for food processing in camp. The spine was designed to be sharp since it came with a fire steel, that's how it throws sparks so well. It excels at making tinder. The fat handle feels great for extended use with zero hot spots, for me at least.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information