Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New type of Damascus? Spring steel damascus?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    52

    New type of Damascus? Spring steel damascus?


    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Has anyone ever wrapped a core of tool steel with an actual spring?

    Some snippets of something I have been working on:










    Still working on it, but I am curious if anyone has ever done it before. The key is to reduce the amount of surface grinding so you can see the pattern more.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NY state
    Posts
    14,070
    The term "spring steel" is a bit nebulous as many steels have been used as springs.
    For any Damascus it's better to have two steels that have similar HT proceedures but different etching properties . A very popular mix that will work is 1080/15N20. Finding a stainless mix is more complex and etching more difficult.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    197
    Interesting concept, looking forward to see what you turn out.


    Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey
    Overkill is underrated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mete View Post
    The term "spring steel" is a bit nebulous as many steels have been used as springs.
    For any Damascus it's better to have two steels that have similar HT proceedures but different etching properties . A very popular mix that will work is 1080/15N20. Finding a stainless mix is more complex and etching more difficult.
    True, but that is also an actual spring.. so I get to use the term spring steel with impunity

    I am just curious if this is something someone has already done. Hard to break new ground considering men have been hammering steel for millennia

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fifty7 View Post
    Interesting concept, looking forward to see what you turn out.


    Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey
    Thanks! you and me both!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    76
    Interesting 63 layers long.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,720
    I dunno about providence but I can't wait to see.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    34,463
    Back in the 19th Century, some dishonest gun makers would wrap a plain iron tube with wire and forge weld it together and past off as a more expensive stub twist or damascus barrel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm61 View Post
    Back in the 19th Century, some dishonest gun makers would wrap a plain iron tube with wire and forge weld it together and past off as a more expensive stub twist or damascus barrel.
    I didn't realize Century had been around that long.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Norfolk,Va.
    Posts
    24,982
    I have seen heaver springs annealed, flattened on a bar of 1095, and forged into a faux-twist damascus. It was OK looking, but nothing to get excited over.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

  11. #11
    30 years ago, I have seen a billet made that way yielding a basic ladder pattern in the end. Nothing new under the sun...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    34,463
    Stacy, did it look like an old stub twist barrel? Those obviously did not have the patterns of the later 'true' damascus barrels, but they had some interesting surface textures, probably from being made from a witches brew of very high grade horseshoe nail iron and buggy spring steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith View Post
    I have seen heaver springs annealed, flattened on a bar of 1095, and forged into a faux-twist damascus. It was OK looking, but nothing to get excited over.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Norfolk,Va.
    Posts
    24,982
    No, it was just parallel lines like a tight twist pattern. Stubb I have seen had a variance of pattern.


    I did a demo a few years back of a four layer billet with 4 alternating layers of 1075 and O-1 Each was 1/4" by 1". Once welded up and squared, the surfaces were ground clean. It was then forged round, cleaned up again, and twisted as tight as possible. When forged flat it had a bold twist look that made me think of Vikings ... so I made a dagger from it.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    34,463
    I have wondered if you could created a faux twist or even faux damascus barrel by twisting a really long and fat damascus bar and drilling it out? I particularly wonder about doing it with a really thick round of crush W's and grinding down expose the "firestorm" pattern?
    This thread has me thinking about how you might make a faux twist barrel by using say a big garage/overhead door spring with a core of some other steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith View Post
    No, it was just parallel lines like a tight twist pattern. Stubb I have seen had a variance of pattern.


    I did a demo a few years back of a four layer billet with 4 alternating layers of 1075 and O-1 Each was 1/4" by 1". Once welded up and squared, the surfaces were ground clean. It was then forged round, cleaned up again, and twisted as tight as possible. When forged flat it had a bold twist look that made me think of Vikings ... so I made a dagger from it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    52
    Shape is cutout with the new nickle wrapped core:


    Should have more pictures soon...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •