Thread: Water under scales

Water under scales

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I cut up a slab of ribs last night using my 632 Mesa with Micarta scales. After use I washed the knife in water, dried it and set it aside. This morning I got to thinking about water seeping under the scales. I removed the scales to find a seemingly abundance of water. I wiped it off and sprayed a bit of WD40 and put the scales back on.
    I realize the blade material is stainless and the Micarta is nearly indestructible but water left in a non ventilated place has to cause problems at some point and I refuse to remove the scales every time I wash the knife.

Hello 100 series.

You could glue them to keep the water out
    Buy membership.

Sure an easy fix. DM

Maybe a rubber gasket sheet cut to fit.
    Buy membership.

West of the Mississippi, South of the Missouri and North of the Meramec
    Just curious, what kind of glue would you recommend?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
    - Bertrand Russell

2 part epoxy. DM

You could apply a thin layer of clear silicone or even a coat of petroleum jelly and reattach the scales.
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

That would work as well. DM

Maybe an air compressor?. Wouldn't take much to dry it out. I don't know of a full tang knife with removable scales wouldn't get water under in them.
    Buy membership.

I agree. I think I would try a good coat of Vaseline/petroleum jelly on the tang and put the scales back on. This should work. But, if it is not satisfactory, I would try silicone. I would do these before permanently gluing down the scales.

The scales seem to be tight, no gaps and holding it up to light I can't see any space between scales and tang. I'm thinking perhaps the water is getting in around the screws. If this knife is to be used for general purposes I need to get the leak fixed or put it in a drawer and use the 119. I will try some of the things suggested and see what happens

DDDWho, don't know if you have seen this thread. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...32-Mesa-Knife/

The Mesa seems to be designed as an outdoor knife, not a kitchen knife. If used in food prep then washing and drying it after every use should be expected. If a knife with removable scales is used for food prep, spraying with WD 40 doesn't seem like a good idea...JMHO.

Yes, the 119 would be much better in 'general purpose' use. It wasn't designed as a kitchen knife either but would be easier to clean. Preston

Thread Information