Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Probably a Dumb Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    434

    Probably a Dumb Question


    Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Okay, so what, exactly, defines an "equal end" knife? I was thinking it was just a knife where both ends were the same size and shape, as opposed to a swell end or sleeveboard, but now I'm confused. Please enlighten me. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma, in the humidity
    Posts
    655
    Basically it means each end of the knife is the same shape.
    -Paul T.

    Looking for GEC 81 stockmans and a two blade 73 trapper user

    A few knives for trade, link below
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...tions-to-trade

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    434

    Probably a Dumb Question

    Ok, I just noticed on the GEC site that they call the 53 a "Cigar" pattern, but they call the 54 an "Equal End Cigar." Wouldn't they both be EE?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois
    Posts
    3,335
    Good question. Would a Canoe for example, be considered an equal end knife?
    Rick T.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia and Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout Hound View Post
    Okay, so what, exactly, defines an "equal end" knife? I was thinking it was just a knife where both ends were the same size and shape, as opposed to a swell end or sleeveboard, but now I'm confused. Please enlighten me. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good question given some examples that seem like they would be equal but not called that, at least in modern marketing. I too would like to know if there is an answer?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. - Steven Wright

    ~ Alan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by AShearer View Post
    Good question given some examples that seem like they would be equal but not called that, at least in modern marketing. I too would like to know if there is an answer?
    Equal end is the generic term for the handle pattern, there are more specific sub-types which are also equal end. For example, a tuxedo is a type of swell center equal end (an equal end that has a thicker mid section).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia and Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,231
    That makes sense. Thanks Bartleby!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. - Steven Wright

    ~ Alan

  8. #8
    Not a dumb question, thanks for bringing it up. I love this kinda stuff
    My YouTube Channel

    Please join me and the crew over at the Jimbo's Knife Fam FB Group!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by AShearer View Post
    That makes sense. Thanks Bartleby!
    You are most welcome!

  10. #10
    At first I thought the answer was simply the obvious "if both ends are the same it is an equal end." But as per usual, the discussion convinced me that this is strangely not as simple as it seemed.

    That is part of the fun of traditional knives, if you ask me. They are like standard measuremnts. Inches, feet, miles, ounces, pounds, quarts, gallons, etc. The only way to understand them is by using them all the time, because they don't make a lot of sense on their own. Traditional patterns, and what their names mean is the same kind of confusing mish-mash based in customary usage.
    UO and OSU, so I'm a Platypus

    http://centergnome.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    O'Fallon, Missouri
    Posts
    10,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
    Equal end is the generic term for the handle pattern, there are more specific sub-types which are also equal end. For example, a tuxedo is a type of swell center equal end (an equal end that has a thicker mid section).
    This is perfectly correct, and explains why a canoe isn't called an equal end, even though it might be. Canoe is more specific and descriptive, so wins out.

    The GEC #53 and #54 patterns are exactly the same shape and size, so both are cigar patterns or equal end patterns. The difference is that #53s have cam tangs, and #54s have half stops with square tangs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,255
    Yay! I learned something today.
    Bryce
    T.L.E. Sharpening

    [email protected]

    *** WTB: Yellow Delrin A.G. Russels ***

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia and Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    This is perfectly correct, and explains why a canoe isn't called an equal end, even though it might be. Canoe is more specific and descriptive, so wins out.

    The GEC #53 and #54 patterns are exactly the same shape and size, so both are cigar patterns or equal end patterns. The difference is that #53s have cam tangs, and #54s have half stops with square tangs.
    My head aches🤙
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. - Steven Wright

    ~ Alan

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by AShearer View Post
    My head aches🤙
    Nothing complicated about it, really. All handle patterns that are the same on both ends are equal end patterns. Particular shapes that are often used in the industry often get another name as well, especially if they resemble a common object like a cigar, a canoe, or a tuxedo etc.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Red Stick, Louisiana
    Posts
    5,426
    I typically think of equal end as the cigar pattern and both names are used interchangeably. Other patterns may exhibit ends that are symmetriclly equal, but those knives are generally called something else.
    Always keep an edge on yr knife, son
    Always keep an edge on yr knife
    Cuz a good sharp edge
    Is a man's best hedge
    Against the vague uncertainties of life.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow F Call View Post
    I typically think of equal end as the cigar pattern and both names are used interchangeably. Other patterns may exhibit ends that are symmetriclly equal, but those knives are generally called something else.
    Exactly.

  17. #17
    Knife terminology can be arbitrary and confusing at times.

    Here's a continuation question for this thread: What's The Best Equal End knife? Pictures should be most welcome....

    Thanks, Will

    Here's one of my favourites, the Stainless White Owl in Tan Bone. But, I know there are many other decent EEs for us to look at and comment on

    Last edited by Will Power; 03-21-2017 at 02:30 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    O'Fallon, Missouri
    Posts
    10,129
    That is a beauty, Will, the best White Owl ever, in my opinion. My favorite is of course, the bark ram's horn #53, but they've made many nice ones among the Cuban stockmen. The four stagbones would be my second faves: green mountain, carved pumpkin, river blue, and brimstone.




  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois
    Posts
    3,335
    You've got some really nice 53's there, Jeff!

    Beautiful White Owl too, Will!
    Rick T.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    O'Fallon, Missouri
    Posts
    10,129
    Thanks, Rick, always appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •