Thread: just starting out

just starting out

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    im just starting out and was wondering just what i should get? and if it is at all possible for others to help me gather the things i need. im wanting to make knifes and such doing blacksmithing so i know a good bit of what i need i just need to know things like what metal i should use and scales.

Start by filling out your profile with location, age, and your occupation and hobbies. By doing that you may be able to connect with a local maker that will help you.

Next, read the stickys. They have the answers to most new maker questions. The one titled, "How to instructions for making a knife" is a good starter guide.

Attend a hammer-in or custom knife show and meet some makers. They will offer good advice and often help with some free materials. I give new makers handle material and sometimes blade blanks every year at Harrisonburg.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

That's a pretty broad request and while the people here are very helpful and generous, you're asking for advice that's been given numerous times and has been extensively covered in the stickies. Read though those then come back with some more specific questions. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here if you do a little search.

Thread Information