Thread: Epoxy question

Epoxy question

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    When using a slow-curing 24 hour epoxy, do you actually have to wait a full 24 hours to do any work on the piece, or can I start grinding the scales down sooner like 8 or 12 hours? I picked up some of this stuff...
    http://usaknifemaker.com/epoxy-2-par...slow-cure.html

I just check with a fingernail. If I can't make an imprint with my fingernail, it's ready to be worked on even if it's not cured to full strength. That's using T-88 epoxy, which is a 72 hour cure. I pretty much always am working on a knife after 12 hours.

A bit of warming will speed up the curing process. Nothing extreme, but I typically leave a knife in the sun (Tucson, truck dashboard in winter) or on top of an electrical appliance which makes a small amount of heat, just to speed the cure. Doesn't take much heat to kick it off, just don't get too carried away with heating epoxy or it will fail in the bonding process.

A 24 hour cure epoxy has 30 minutes to 1 hour work time, and 1 to 3 hours set time. The full set is 6 hours, and the full cure time is 24 hours. T-88 is about the same, with the full cure time even longer because it is a structural epoxy resin.

After 6-10 hours most 24 hour epoxies could be worked on, but you are far better to wait until the next day. Nothing good comes from rushing things.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Thread Information