Thread: What would or have you chosen??

What would or have you chosen??

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Ok, gang. I picked up my first edc last week. I'm moving on to something I can use outdoors for both survival and bushcrafting tasks, including battoning.. I imagine a 4-5" blade would suit me well. Which of the Fiddleback Forge designs do you think best suits my needs? Secondly, does Fiddleback Forge make knives in 3V? I visited their website, but most of the custom knives have "varies by build" under blade material.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Production camp knife is 3v you can find "custom shop" versions with custom scales from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check under field knives at the Outpost

https://fiddlebackoutpost.com

I put some thought into this myself and decided on the OS Ladyfinger in 3/32 and the Bushfinger in 1/8. The Lady is a really awesome "do it all" knife, but I get a little hesitant battoning with 3/32, though I've done some light work with it and it did fine. I typically pair it with a small axe. The Bushfinger in 1/8 is going to be my "do everything Knife". I plan on running it with a folding saw.

I chose those two models because I do a lot of hunting and I felt the blade shapes would also do well for game processing and all around camp tasks. Other models you may want to consider are the Kephart, Recluse, Terrasaur, and KE Bushie.

I would also recommend taking a look at the production line. They have the Bushfinger and Kephart in S35VN, as well as the Duke, a larger model. The only 3V Fiddleback I know of is the production Camp Knife.

Hope that's helpful. There are some other great threads on similar topics. I'll see if I can find and link them for more reading material for you.

EDIT: oh! I forgot the Bush Hermit! It's a newer model that would also do great in those roles. Another couple models I forgot are the Maverick and Renegade. They both come in drop points that would be great for those tasks.

Production Duke and be done IMHO. Even better if you can come across a custom shop version, but the stock scales will be better suited for a survival type knife.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys.

@Odaon, this is why I asked. There seem to be so many in Fiddleback's lineup that are designed to be good at a variety of outdoor tasks, given the appropriate size and thickness of the blade. I'm having a hard time deciding. Also, once I hone in on a specific knife or two, the Fiddleback Friday sales seem to be pretty random. I might be waiting around quite a while for the one I want, no? What an ingenious way to create a demand for your brand.

Take a look at the Production Kepheart. It's a lot of knife.
    Purveyor of strikers, strops and other manly goods.
    www.suffolkmetalworks.com

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...leback-Nessmuk

For me the nessmuck fits the bill. It was good enough for George Washington sears its good enough for me.
    It's a awesome working knife and super sexy with the sinuous lines.
    Here's a recent thread by a new fiddleback member
    Stay sharp 😉

What would or have you chosen??

Quote Originally Posted by swonut View Post
    Take a look at the Production Kepheart. It's a lot of knife.
    I recently picked up a Kephart from a forum member. And you're not joking it's a lot of knife without being overly big. It seems stout enough to take on a variety of tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #blackwoksmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Mish_Mike View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys.

@Odaon, this is why I asked. There seem to be so many in Fiddleback's lineup that are designed to be good at a variety of outdoor tasks, given the appropriate size and thickness of the blade. I'm having a hard time deciding. Also, once I hone in on a specific knife or two, the Fiddleback Friday sales seem to be pretty random. I might be waiting around quite a while for the one I want, no? What an ingenious way to create a demand for your brand.
    Definitely lots of options for lots of different preferences. As far as the waiting thing goes, it depends on the knife you want. Typically most of them can be found at one dealer or another right away, assuming you aren't picky.

Which models have stood out to you?

1. Production Duke
    2. Handyman

Not much to be done that the pair cannot handle well.

Bill
    "I am not running for office and I do not need your affirmation. It is my opinion, I expressed it and you are free to ignore it." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by FeralGentleman View Post
    Production Duke and be done IMHO. Even better if you can come across a custom shop version, but the stock scales will be better suited for a survival type knife.
    What he said. The Production Camp knife is bigger, but has 3v steel.

"Outdoor, survival and bushcrafting" means a lot of different things to people. To me, the Duke (or Woodsman) fill that role perfectly, but others prefer a smaller blade. The cool thing is that Andy makes a variety of knives that will accommodate many different styles of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Odaon View Post
    Definitely lots of options for lots of different preferences. As far as the waiting thing goes, it depends on the knife you want. Typically most of them can be found at one dealer or another right away, assuming you aren't picky.

Which models have stood out to you?
    In the 4-5" range? Oh, I don't know... the Bushcrafter, Bushfinger, Hunter, KE Bushie, Kephart, Ladyfinger, and Recluse. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    What he said. The Production Camp knife is bigger, but has 3v steel.

"Outdoor, survival and bushcrafting" means a lot of different things to people. To me, the Duke (or Woodsman) fill that role perfectly, but others prefer a smaller blade. The cool thing is that Andy makes a variety of knives that will accommodate many different styles of use.
    Absolutely! To me, outdoor survival implies being able to perform bushcrafting tasts. To another, it might take on a more tactical meaning. The more I think about it, I don't think I can actually get along with just one knife. I don't have all that much experience. I'll most likely need two, maybe three. Like a newbie would, I guess I got caught up into seeking out a superknife that might not really exist.

Thank you for all the suggestions above though. I might end up buying several knives in every size range in order to figure out which one(s) best suit me. One thing I have heard is that as your skill in the outdoors increases, the less knife you need, size-wise I guess?

Absolutely! To me, outdoor survival implies being able to perform bushcrafting tasts. To another, it might take on a more tactical meaning. The more I think about it, I don't think I can actually get along with just one knife. I don't have all that much experience. I'll most likely need two, maybe three. Like a newbie would, I guess I got caught up into seeking out a superknife that might not really exist.

Thank you for all the suggestions above though. I might end up buying several knives in every size range in order to figure out which one(s) best suit me. One thing I have heard is that as your skill in the outdoors increases, the less knife you need, size-wise I guess?
    It definitely depends on your intended uses and other tools you include. I think I could do pretty much anything I need in the woods with a Bushfinger and a folding saw, others may prefer a smaller knife and an axe; occasionally I do! If you don't like or don't want to bring a saw/axe you may be better of with one of the larger models like a Duke or Camp Knife. I think having multiple different knives for different jobs is fun!

Good luck finding out which one you want to start with!

Mike,
    Something that finally worked for me was to create use groups, like food groups. I have 3 use groups, if a knife does not define the purpose of that use group, I move it along. When I choose to kit up, I chose one item from each use group, depending on vegetation and weather.

Bill
    "I am not running for office and I do not need your affirmation. It is my opinion, I expressed it and you are free to ignore it." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by lmalterna View Post
    Mike,
    Something that finally worked for me was to create use groups, like food groups. I have 3 use groups, if a knife does not define the purpose of that use group, I move it along. When I choose to kit up, I chose one item from each use group, depending on vegetation and weather.

Bill
    This sounds like a good idea. It also sounds very dangerous.....for my wallet.

So thinking about what "group usage" (thx lmalterna) I wanted my first FF knife to satisfy, I really want it to be able to handle hunting tasks (whitetail), along with various tasks when roaming the bush. I've settled on the Recluse. I'll be scouring the "for sale" ads for one.

Or if anyone thinks a different FF knife would be better at handling skinning, field dressing, quartering, etc., please chime in.

So thinking about what "group usage" (thx lmalterna) I wanted my first FF knife to satisfy, I really want it to be able to handle hunting tasks (whitetail), along with various tasks when roaming the bush. I've settled on the Recluse. I'll be scouring the "for sale" ads for one.

Or if anyone thinks a different FF knife would be better at handling skinning, field dressing, quartering, etc., please chime in.
    I think the Recluse would make a great knife for those uses!

There happens to be a beauty that just went up at BladeCo.

http://www.bladecousa.com/fiddleback...-andy-roy.html

There also several available at DLT.

http://www.dlttrading.com/fiddleback-forge-knives

Good luck choosing one!

Thread Information