Thread: Arizona knife laws

Arizona knife laws

ADVERTISEMENT

I'm new to BladeForums and this is my first post, so, hello to all. I'm trying to find out the knife laws for Arizona if anyone can tell me. I know this state is pretty generous in the firearms-carry law department. But what about edged weapons? What's legal? What's illegal? Your help is greatly appreciated.

------------------

Kevan "Raven" Taylor-Perry

Hi Raven.
    Welcome to Arizona.
    Sorry I'm so late in replying, but I just came across your post.

While no one can explain ALL of the laws, especially considering the constant state of flux and the many "interpretations" of them by those directly concerned with them, there ARE a few basic things you should know. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a lawyer, but HAVE had some encounters with the law in AZ from both sides. I've also made it a point to learn as much as I can, not onbly about the laws themselves, but of the average LEO's viewpoint on them, since many of my friends are LEOs. Hopefully they'll be of some help to you.

First of all, knives are generally not distinguished from other tools that CAN be used as weapons, except in their capability in that role. Accordingly, automatic knives, for example, are legal except that they may not be carried "concealed" absent a CCW permit.

The legal definitions of "carrying" and "concealed" are quite broad in AZ, and have in most cases been subjected to rulings that have rendered them to the advantage of the average lawful citizen. For example, an object determined to be a weapon, like a firearm, for example, is NOT considered being "carried" for legal purposes, if it is in "luggage". A "briefcase" has passed the legal test of being considered "luggage". Ironically, a woman's purse has failed that definition.

Guess where I carry my .45 ACP? Yup, in a soft leather top opening (by zipper) multi-compartment briefcase. It sits on the floor behind my seat in my car. My Carbon 15 with the new short (8") buttstock lays on my Dobie's blanket on the back seat. When I leave the car, I just flip the blanket over it so it's not thief bait. When I'm in the vehicle, it's uncovered, so being carried, even loaded, and within easy reach, it's legal. Do be advised to double check about Flagstaff though. If I as a Phoenix resident was stopped for some reason and an LEO noted that I was in violation of a local ordinance about my weapons, I would probably get off with advice and a warning. You, as a local, would have a harder time.

Also, a weapon being carried openly in a carrying enclosure that is common for that item is NOT legally considered being carried "concealed". So I carry my HALO III in the Microtech black Cordura Velcro flapped belt pouch, horizontally of course, on my black gunbelt, which is all I ever wear. It's unnoticeable, but legal, while still being available instantly, if and when I need it.

There IS a state pre-emption law that prevents localities from passing laws that conflict with state law regarding "weapons". However, some localities refuse to comply simply by defiance, and still pass laws in contravention of state law. While illegal, and not defensible in court, these laws CAN make things tricky for you. I'm not sure how Flagstaff and/or Coconino County stand on carrying, so your best bet, to avoid being dismissed with a wrong or oversimplified answer, is to become friendly with both the Flagstaff and Coconino County police. See if they have any "ride-along" programs. See which of your neighbors is an LEO that's known by the other neighbors to be a nice guy, and get to know him. Stop at the local library, and look up the State laws (ARS, or Arizona Revised Statutes) and local and County Ordinances and "regulations".

One thing to beware of. The Fish and Game folks are serious as a heart attck on game laws. You can NOT be in "the field", that is, away from a campsite or off a "roadway" (wich I believe legally extends 12' on both sides), in a legally defined hunting area, during a game "season" with a firearm OF ANY KIND (yes, even a .22 target pistol). Any violations are dealt with harshly, and can result in loss of your firearm AND even the vehicle that brought you there, along with a healthy fine, if you are convicted. So until you learn the laws, and the hunting areas and laws, do NOT leave the roadway in a known hunting area during an official hunting season. Right now, it's Elk season, and my hunting/shooting buddy is just Northeast of Flagstaff, with a permit/tag of course. If you have a valid general hunting license, you can still hunt other game IN SOME AREAS. Check with the local Fish and Game people about their position on these things.

I also strongly urge you to buy A copy of the excellent book on Arizona Gun Laws, written as I recall by Alan Korwin. I can't find my copy right now, must have loaned it to someone. Many of the items in it include and/or refer to knives too. You should be able to buy it at any local gun store.

I Hope I've helped you a little. If you have any questions, or if I can help in any way, E-mail me, and I'll try my best to help you.
    Enjoy Arizona. I think you're going to love it here. I do.
    Take care.

------------------
    George
    StarPD

[This message has been edited by StarPD (edited 10-09-2000).]

Thanks for taking the time, George, that was helpful.

And I agree with you and love this place too. The more people who think it's a barren desert, the more peaceful that desert stays...

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I moved here from Hawaii where gun control is so strict, it's a real hassle to own or buy one (or transport one.) Yet, carrying a knife there is quite open and liberal. Now, I was told that there is no limit to blade length (read:cane knives/machetes) over there. Bow and arrows; you can get on the Honolulu city bus with those--no problem. So far as I know, there are little , if any, knife laws in Hawaii. On another note, I do love Flagstaff. The only drawback is the hippies that drift in who don't bathe ;-( Did you hear about the police officer who was murdered here by that POS "kid" that they're trying to exonerate?

------------------

No, I didn't hear about that. Then again, I rarely watch the "news", and damn sure won't read the papers. As you're learning, Flagstaff is a fairly liberal town, at least for Arizona, mostly because of the college. Tucson is THE liberal haven in AZ though, because of the college and the democrat controlled Hispanic population.

The scumbag just may get away with his crime, if the Aspen-Taos-Vail-Santa Fe type liberals get their way. Almost ALL of them are "carpetbaggers", and want to make these great places mini-Kalifornias. Then again, in Arizona, LEOs don't much care for cop-killers, and they may either influence the politicians to make sure he's not pitied, and gets convicted, or help him to an accident or suicide in jail (I hope).

Take care.

------------------
    George
    StarPD

Here's the story: rich white kid who thinks he's a bad-ass "gangsta"( you've seen these POSs --baggy-pants, hats backwards, attitude. So he's blasting that sh*t they call music late one night in a residential area. Officer come and asks him to turn the music down. Officer walk away, punk shoots cop in the back. "Oh the poor child was on meth; he's got mental deficiency..." So? Why should that excuse anything? Well, since parents don't want to teach discipline to their kids, I say---BRING BACK THE DRAFT!!!! That kid should be fried--no excuses.

------------------

I agree.

I hadn't heard about this incident, but am one of those guys who tells the morons to turn their bass blasters OFF. Now I'll be extra careful and watch my back with these wannabe "gangstas".

Obviously, it scrambles what brains they have. That may be what happened to the goof who shot the officer. When they turn on the juice to this scumbag POS, instead of giving him one BIG jolt, they should just start low, and turn it up one volt at a time. Let it take, say, maybe 48 hours before it's fatal. That oughtta give him some noise.

Take care.

------------------
    George
    StarPD

I haven't heard the latest on the lttle bas*&rd, so I don't know what's going on. I fail to see how a cop-killer will ever make a productive citizen. They kill dogs for less than that, and this turd isn't as good as the worst dog. It burns me to have to pay for these POS to sit in jail when I know that a plain-wrap brand 7.62mm bullet is only 10 cents (or less on sale.)

------------------

hi, I saw this thread and just had a little question. I looked over some stuff regarding CCW permits and was wondering if i need a permit for my knife. It's a CRKT M16 special forces folder with a 4" tanto style blade. in the pages i was reading it said 'generally, misconduct does not apply to... a pocketknife (usually a folding knife with a blade less than 4".' now if it has to me less than 4" to legally cary w/o a permit, then things get hairy. technicaly, the actual edge is about 4.9" but who is really going to get that precise.

as for HOW it's carried, I usually clip it inside my front pocket where only the psuedo hilt and pivot point is visible. I have worn similar, but smaller knives to the mall before without question but at the current time, I feel vulnerable to a lack of knowledge regarding the legal length of the knife.

I also sometimes clip it to my belt or belt loops, but in those cases, the knife is often invisible since my shirt hangs over it.

http://crkt.com/carsdsrt.html <<M16-14ZSF

also, are there any knife length laws in arizona at all? and what about minors?

Thread Information