Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good are these Taiwanese CRKT knives?

How good are these Taiwanese CRKT knives?

ADVERTISEMENT

I have heard from friends that CRKT has a factory of sorts in Taiwan where certain models are made.

Are these made-in-Taiwan CRKT knives on par with their American CRKT cousins?

How's the quality control with regard to CRKT knives from Taiwan?

The difference in prices is quite obvious to a lot of people but what I am really curious about is the quality when one compares CRKT knives made from two sides of the ocean.

CRKT knives have a big following. I welcome true experiences from those who own Taiwan knives made from Taiwan and America.

------------------
    Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

All CRKT knives that I've seen are made in Taiwan, except for the Classic KISS made in Japan. They are of very good quality and their custom collaborations are great. Their quality control is also good.

[This message has been edited by el cid (edited 04-11-2001).]

I sure am happy with my M-16-04. As far as I'm concerned, it's a work of art. Jeff/1911.

In my opinion CRKT has been instrumental in changing the way people think about knives made in Taiwan. Not too long ago, knives made in Taiwan did not have a reputation for quality. Now companies like CRKT, Outdoor Edge, Timberline and Gerber are having good quality knives made for them in Taiwan. I read that even Buck is having some knives made in Taiwan now.

The 3 (well, 2 now, thanks to a trade) are all Tiawanese and all excellent:

Mirage
    Point Guard
    Commander

I have a taiwan made CRKT S2 that's BETTER IMO, than a good number of "american" made knives.

Remember though that no matter where it is made, you might end up with a "bad" one.

DaveH

In January of this year I was looking at a display of Gerber knives in a store and noticed that one of them called ''Harsey Air Ranger" had Taiwan on the blade and was also marked "First Production Run". A few days later I bought one of these after I found out that the blade was AUS8A. I was pleasantly surprised at the edge that could be put on this knife and how well it will hold an edge. As far as I am concerned this is a very reasonably priced knife in most places for the quality.

[This message has been edited by Walt2 (edited 04-11-2001).]

Walt2, Gerber has their "International" line made in Taiwan. I've seen the AR 3.00 and the Gerber Walker, and I understand they have a collaboration with Fred Carter, also made in Taiwan, But, I haven't seen one yet. They are all very well made.

As far as I know, thay are all made in Taiwan.

For the price, the quality is remarkable. Many knife users may not even have the need for anything more.

Dick

I own 7 CRKT knives: PECK, Neck PECK, KISS, CF M-16, KFF, Pointguard, and Mirage. I am really impressed with their products and am currently saving up for an S-2. Cool knives as far as I'm concerned. I especially like the PECK and the Point Guard. BTW, the CF M-16 is one of the lightest knives I have ever owned. Don't let the "made is Taiwan" trick you, they are good knives.
    Matt

Dangerously close to the Spyderco factory
    One more thumbs-up on CRKT. The price/quality ratio is great. I don't care for the bead blast finish, but it's hard to complain about on a $35 knife. I happen to like AUS steels; they're easy to sharpen.

One more vote for CRKT! I own three or four and the value for the price is outstanding. A great way to start collecting, and learning.

Holger
    www.cockroachfarm.com

So far, I like all of CRKT's knives. All are very well made and not overpriced. By the way, why isn't there a CRKT Forum yet?

They come up with very interesting design features in an affordable, quality product.

The CRKT KISS is a neat pocket knife. Some people don't like 6A steel, but I haven't had any trouble with keeping it sharp. It sharpens very easily. I've also had a Point Guard, and it was very well made. If you don't like the bead blast, you can remove the blade from the handle (and they don't void the warranty for disassembly, unlike Benchmade and MT) and rub it up and down rapidly on a Scotch Brite pad to create a quasi-satin finish. Just make sure you're always going the same direction. It can take a while sometimes, and you'll need to resharpen it afterwards.

------------------

Chang and the Rebels of the East
    (Southern Taiwan Shall Rise Again!)

The CRK&T knives I've sold in in my shop have been well received. Customers like the price and quality. I ask for feedback from my customers (pro or neg.) and so far the feedback has all been positive. I closely inspect and play with all the new models and I haven't had to send one back yet.

------------------
    Ray Carr

CRKT has made Taiwan as a location, a reasonable place to get a knife made. I wish however they would leave the country of manufacture of the blade however. On the box is ok. My freinds still sneer when they read Taiwan on the blade, to them is is almost as bad as Pakistan...

One interesting story I was told the other day. One of the top dudes in CRKT actually goes to Tiawan an monitors the production of the blades in person. He then ships the blades to the States and individualy inspects each and every knife in the US. Now this sounds a bit far fetched if you ask me... But it sure goes some way to explain how EVERY CRKT blade I have bought ans seen was PERFECT. No BM QC issues here.

Only things wrong with CRKT in my opinion is the use of the bead finish and the 6M steel in so many products. I know it keeps the cost down, but I would like to se 8a and a satin finsh as the minimum standard. It is a pity they cannot move over to VG-10 and the like for the more expensive models. Instead they are looking at strange steels like Acutco 440 and the like Pity.

For the cash, you get a lot of knife.

------------------
    Wayne.
    "To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
    Tennyson
    Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
    http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
    Certified steel snob!

A lot of knife for the money.

Greg

------------------
    Always do right....this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain

Hey Golok

If you wanna get a first-hand look at some of these CRKTs, come on over to the next local meet with Sam & Eric. I've got a Mirage, Point Guard (my fav) and Urban Shark. All very good quality with well-fitted locks, slick action and sharp right out of the box. Great buy for the price. If you are looking for bargains, check out Outdoor Edge's Magna folder which is comparable in price and quality.

------------------
    "Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

I can only speak for the Mirage & The LUS.

The Mirage I've only used off & on for light duty chores so other than my initial good impression I don't have much to offer.

The LUS, on the other hand, I have some info to share. This info comes from my wife's uncle. We gave him a LUS as a Xmas present this past Xmas. I just saw him at a party on Saturday night and he was so excited to see me so that he could give me a review on his knife. He told me that he has carried this knife everday since Xmas for both work & for dress. He is a maintenance man for a large industrial complex and he assured me that this knife is used regulary everyday. He said that if nothing else he uses it for cutting up cardboard. Now we all know how tough that is on a blade.
    I examined the blade and found it to still be pretty sharp (he hasn't sharpened it yet). And there was no wiggle or play and the blade locked up solid as new.
    So, as you have probably guessed by now, I like the LUS alot. Especially when you consider the price.

--The Raptor--

I have a Gray Ghost,Apache,Apache2,Navajo,KFF and most recently a Ryan7. All have excellent lock up. The liners on the LUS,KFF and Ryan7 are thicker than the other models and the feel of the lock up reflects this fact. They all sharpen easily with the ATS34 holding the edge best.
    Made in Taiwan doesn't necessarily mean cheap. A couple of people I know might have laughed or sneared when they saw the Made in Taiwan on the blade. But I just grin back, because I use the knife/knives all the time, jokes on them. These are high quality build with med. steel to keep prices low. Great for the average guy.

------------------
    -mike
    Life is too short to stay on idle, don't be afraid to use that throttle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information