Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives on Greyhound Bus

Knives on Greyhound Bus

ADVERTISEMENT
    Returning from a trip to Boston I was waiting to board a Greyhound bus to New York Cith carrying my Simonich Mini Cetan around my neck. Two Pinkerton security guards appeared, checking bags and scanning passengers with a handheld metal detector. What to do? I wasn't sure if carrying a concealed fixed blade knife is legal in Massachussets. And they certainly were going to find the knife on me with the wand. Not a good situation.

I decided to inconspiciously take off the knife and stash it in one of my bags. They asked for knives or scissors and I denied that I had either. They checked my smaller bag but not the larger one that the knife was in. I got into the bus without further hassle.

Lesson one: Don't travel with knives on buses.
    Lesson two: We are being deprived of the ability to carry tools. Sad times.

protodoc

That is, indeed, sad

DD

I refuse to travel on air lines AND bus lines now.

Blog Entries
    Of course, the same ignorant liberals who want to strip us naked on public transportation also expect us to take public transportation instead of private vehicles to save the country energy.

That just sucks. I am going via Greyhound to visit my girlfriend in Peoria Ill this Christmas. I may have to reconsider now my means of transportation now
    Thanks for the info though, maybe I'll just ship my knife to her....
    Matt

Normally I don't advocate causing trouble and in this case if the knife might not have been legal you did the right thing but I really wonder how legal some of this stuff is.......I suppose that Greyhound could keep you from boarding their bus but I don't think they could confiscate anything.

As far as riding buses go, if everyone who does travel continously makes an issue of invasive security, public pressure will cause a policy change. The only problem with this is that their may be more sheeple than people on the buses.......

Don't just tell US about it ...

Thought you guys might want these ...

Greyhound Lines, Inc.
    P.O. Box 660362
    Dallas, TX 75266-0362

custserv@greyhound.com

That really really sucks! Mnblade, thanks, I'm sending them a a note telling them that that pracitce does not insure my/our safety. That a "terrorist" can be just as effective carrying an undetectable brick in a fannypack, and that as collectors these items we carry are often high dollar collectibles. If I cant carry my locally and perhaps nationally "legal" items with me, I won't ride their bus. That sucks because I too don't want too fly much theses days. I see my truck is gonna add on miles from now on.

I couldn't help it, I am impulsive. I beg your apologies if you think I'm wrong for it, but I just sent greyhound this note:

This is part of the text of a message posted on a collectors forum I am a member of:

"Returning from a trip to Boston I was waiting to board a Greyhound bus to New York City
    carrying my Simonich Mini Cetan around my neck. Two Pinkerton security guards appeared,
    checking bags and scanning passengers with a handheld metal detector. What to do?... they certainly were
    going to find the knife on me with the wand. Not a good situation.

They asked for knives or scissors ...

Lesson one: Don't travel with knives on buses.
    Lesson two: We are being deprived of the ability to carry tools. Sad times."

Greyhound, that practice does not insure my/our safety. Is it you are concerned about terrorism? A "terrorist" can be just as effective carrying an undetectable brick in a fannypack. I am a knife collector. I travel to shows and to sell and trade. I carry some with me because I use them as tools. I spend hundreds and close to thousands of dollars on single pieces.

You cannot insure our safety by these symbolic acts. I saw on CNN the other day a lady telling about how at a Chicago airport she was delayed and detained, resources used up on her unnecessarily, because her bra (a voluptous woman using an underwire support bra) set off the metal detectors and the security personnel wanted to look like they were on the case. My often high dollar collectible pocket knives are not what you should worry about . Heck, since you canít do anything about our safety against a highjacking untill itís way too late and on the news, the passengers deserve at least a minimal fighting chance of their own. A bigger concerns should be explosives in the checked luggage! How about skilled, courteous and alert drivers? Or perhaps timely arrivals and departures.

If I cant carry my locally and perhaps nationally "legal" items with me, I won't ride your bus, I know of others that feel the same way. Unfortunate, because I too don't want too fly much these days. I see my car is going to add on miles from now on.

Quite Priest:

Please let us know if you get a response from Greyhound, it should prove interesting in the fight to maintain our rights. This entire situation, planes, buses, schools...etc, banning a tool as simple as the knife is very distressing. I use mine constantly for daily, mundain chores that we here are all aware of. That short insight is what has lead the very same people to open boxes with keys, pens or whatever, and then ask if someone has a knife. Try to spread cream cheese on the baggle during your next in-flight breakfast with that damn plastic untensil and you've an excercise in futility.

You are lucky you didnt end up in jail...being a know terrorist and all!!!!!!

Quiet Priest:

Thanks for sending the message to Greyhound. I don't mind at all, in fact I think it is a great idea to give them some feedback.

As far as anti-terrorist meassures are concerned, here is what really cracks me up. The new Greyhound policy is that the first row of seats on both sides of the bus are reserved and only released by disgression of the driver. Can anyone tell me how that is going to prevent a crazy person in the second row from putting a gun to the bus drivers head? Why not post a sign instead: "Terrorists, remember it is against federal regulation to step across the white line while the coach is in motion!"

Tom: You found me out, but guess what: Since you are making a custom TnT for me that I will carry on me 24/7 we will be going down together.

protodoc

(edited for content)
    Last edited by protodoc; 11-28-2001 at 05:03 PM.

The same thing will soon be happening with trains. Very sad but very true.

Its a very sad situation when they stoop to the level of stripping you of your rights by taking your tools.
    BTW protodoc-lol about the soap thing, at least we can still have a sense of humor.

Is it Titanium blades that do not show up on metal detectors....

It is GOING to get worse

THINK it is BAD NOW? Just wait until all the Rookie FAM's get out of ROOKIE SCHOOL and our system of Public transportation becomes almost 100% "Federalized". Our wonderful Government has NEVER been able to PROTECT us because the system is a REACTIONARY one. An incident happens, and the world 'reacts". YEAH, sure we will be a little better at becoming "Proactive" BUT until someone gets hold of the "CRYSTAL BALL" no one is ever really SAFE
    Safe is a feeling. The tree-huggers want us all be be safe from ourselves. So the answer is very broad and sweeping NEW Law, more Agents of the government and very tight restrictions. WHO TF is GOING TO OBEY? JOE CITIZEN, that is who!!!!! If you thing some gang-banging, drug induced maggot gives a flying crap about ANY new Laws and restrictions you are SLEEPING!!!!.
    All this does is make us, the good folks, feel terrible carrying a knife or a gun. I USED to be able to go anywhere, ANYWHERE!!! with a loaded and concealed firearm. No more, well no more "legally". since 09-11, I have had the pleasure to be confronted three times now for just having a slight bulge on my hip. I carry very very discreetly. I do NOT want anyone to know. I have done this for a long time, 9/11 did not change my carry style. but now, I walk thru a mall with my family and within two hours, I have met some very serious uniformed people and very matter of fact"not in uniform types". No longer is there a chance to converse first, show ID, shoot the sh.it and say good-bye. Now it is "HANDS IN PLAIN VIEW, DO NOT MOVE" and complete and utter in front of the world!!! this is wrong. if some person with pure-evil in his heart and mind and a purely EVIL MINDSET appeared loaded for bear at THAT Mall, the only one that MIGHT be able to help would be ME! The presence of the "law' two hours later, or when someone could dial 9-1-1 would be two-hours TOO LATE.
    WE MUST stop from all becoming SHEEPLE. We have a COSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to be PROTECTED, and an obligation to protect OTHERS, ALL OF US GOOD AMERICANS!!!! It is high time the Government spend their time going after the scumbags who care not less about the Law of Man, Nation or of the land, and allow US to assist in their EXTERMINATION!!!!!!wolf

Maybe a few well placed harassment lawsuits.........Now they've got me being reactionary.

Amtrak train isnt really takeing any measures here in cali except
    to show ID when buying a ticket and if they want to,check your bags.
    But I havent seen it yet.Ive noticed some of the people who work on the train carrying knives.

Titanium knives will not show up on walk- through metal detectors, which are technically magniometers. However, they will show up on hand held wands. In a scenario where you walk thru and your watch, belt buckle,keys or other item sets the unit off, they are going to check you with the hand held wand. At that point, they will discover your Ti.knife. If they further investigate and realize that your knife is Ti,they are definitely going to think you were trying something bad since you went out of the way to circumvent security.
    To me, that is a huge risk! I always flew with my custom Ti Arclite around my neck til 9/11. I figured if they caught it, it would be confiscated and that would be it. Now, I wouldn't even do that.
    Best thing is to travel with a quality, lockable hard sided suitcase and check your blade in it. Small flashlights are still legal. Carrying one and learning to use it as a kubotan my be the best alternative to have on your person in the terminal.
    David

It is sad the way things are going. It makes me want to . But that is what happens when you have a Liberal President going after Bill Gates and not Terrorism! Praise The Lord Bush is our President Now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information