Thread: Nieto knives - questions

Nieto knives - questions

ADVERTISEMENT
    I bought two days ago a small Nieto's folder (classical style, blade similar in shape and length to the Opinel Nr. 7). Very nice looking knife, blade in 440C steel, brass liners, handle: combination of brass/micarta? Have two questions:

1. how good is the 440C steel in Nieto knives? any experience and/or tests?
    2. Nieto fixed knives (e. g. Toledo); do they have a full tang - if not, how strong is the blade/handle connection?

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.

Regards,

Franco

P. S. I find personally the blade's shape in, for example, the Toledo, very beautifull - in very best Spanish tradition.

Franco, I only just read the post so you may not see this. I bought a Nieto fixed handle knife about 10 months ago. It has a full tang which goes through the rubber handle. I have used this knife extensively in the garage and garden. I have left it outside in the rain. All it has is a few spots on the bead blast finish. I have not had any problems at all. I was told that the steel was brittle and would break easily. That the blade would blunt easily. Well none of that has happened. I would never use it as a combat knife but hey it works fine. Depends what you want to use it for.

i just bought one of the new nieto folders, seems all good and not expensive

EFING awsome little blade, for the price you can't go wrong. Used mine (little skinner, drop point, 440C full tang, olive wood scale handle) as EDC for over 3 years. In the car, fishing, hunting, in the rain up the bush. Its never let me down EVER!

I've only ever used a kitchen steel to sharpen it, REALLY sharp.
    440C will scratch though, I have experienced this. Also, if splitting really hard woods you may roll the edge a little, as I have done. Easy peesy to fix, run it over a kitchen steel.

Sure there are better knives out there, but for the price and 440C you can't go wrong ppl.

while I don't have one myself, a couple of my friends have neito knives for camp use. on the tangs front, both the examples I've come across had full tangs, with the handle slabs attached with pretty thick hollow rivets.

Thread Information