Thread: What is OU-31 steel?

What is OU-31 steel?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just purchased from Triple Aught Design a double ground tanto made by Tomoyuki Nemoto. The knife is made of OU-31 steel, which is a steel that I had never heard of before. I am told that it is similar to D-2.

Does anyone have any information on OU-31 and/or Tomoyuki Nemoto? Is OU-31 made by one manufacturer, in the same vein that S30V is made by Crucible? What are its properties? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Apparently it is Micro! Fine! Steel!
    http://www.ktroad.ne.jp/~athro/ou31.html
    Dunno apart from that...the JIS for D2 is SKD-11, live and learn

All right!!! Micro! Fine! Steel! Sounds like I bought Excaliber .

Seriously, though, thanks for the link. I've had a hard time locating any info on either this maker or this steel. Thank you.

It might even be rosta frei !!

bttt

I will add this link to this thread as well as the one you started on Tomoyuki Nemoto. Everything is in Japanese, but there are some nice pictures to look at.

http://www.ohyasuya.co.jp/nemoto/nemoto.htm

Thanks.

Posted essentially the same info on the "other" forum. It is a Japanese steel with .9 Carbon, 8.5 Cr, 2 Mo. Also has a sprinkle of Vanadium and a dash of (3%) Cobalt.

Do you have any idea how this steel would be different from D-2, performance-wise?

I bought the MKW-01, which is made with OU-31 steel. It was the only model offered in this steel. The rest of the models came in D-2. I imagine Mr. Nemoto has his reasons for this, and I suspect they may not be purely financial. But maybe I'm wrong on this point.

Thanks again for your help.

bttt

Thread Information