Thread: Treasure Hunting Knife

Treasure Hunting Knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    I am just getting into a new hobby, metal detecting, otherwise known as coin shooting or relic hunting. Basically this involves using a metal detector to find buried coins, jewerly, relics, etc. Most of my hunts will be on soil not sandy beaches. So I am wondering what knife you would recommend. I will be using the knife to cut through grass and digging the soil. I currently have a Cold Steel SRK and Glock Field knife. Any recommendations from those of you who are treasure hunters or recommendations for a knife that's going to get a lot of abuse. Thanks.

Hate to say it bro. but you will get more use out of a garden trowell than any blade.

I would second the trowel suggestion. If you really need to have something sharp (and you should, anyway) I would suggest a decent pair of pruners to cut vines, and a cheap fixed blade like a Frosts plastic-handle mora (<$10), or an Ontario military-style knife.

As the above posts suggest, I also recommend a garden trowel.

IMHO, knives are made for one purpose and that is to cut.

I have trowel that I will be using, but many metal detector users use a knife as an additional tool to cut through grass, roots, etc. and then use the trowel to do the bulk of the digging. I think the SRK will be tough enough to handle most tasks I throw at it.

Ok a SRK would work, and I am from the old school of use it not show it, but why wreck a knife when it is not needed.

Some tools are out there and they are useful combination of trowell and knife, but it is still the trowell that will cut sod more effectively, and neater than the Srk. You will gouge, chip, and bust up a great knife . Just use the trowell, if ya do feel the need for a knife the Mora is the only one that I would suggest. This is due to it only being 10$ and I would not care about beating the hell out of its blade.

So it can be the trowell for 3$ or a 50$ SRK.

Knife

Marc 123: this is probably going to get into personal preferences. I have been doing the metal detector hobby for several years and there are three other guys close around who do it also. None of us use a knife. You might be interested in something that I use. Go to www.kellycodetectors.com and look at a digging/cutting tool they sell. It is a Lesche brand. If you can't find it on the web site, ask them to send you a catalog. I also use a shovel, that is made especially for treasure hunting, that I purchased from Kellyco, but the manufacturer no longer makes it. They also have some knives that they sell.

How about a 12" Ontario machete? It's cheap enough that you don't have to worry about messing it up and you can get a good edge on it witha file or belt sander. Sound like just the ticket to me. If you are looking for something to probe with how about an old Mauser bayonet? You can usually find them pretty cheap.

phantom4

Thread Information