Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frost Cutlery Question

Question Frost Cutlery Question

ADVERTISEMENT
    Are all Frost Cutlery knives cheap junk? I see on their website they have some $200 Bowies Listed. Some of their Hen & Rooster brand knives are high priced as well. I have no interest at all in buying or owning one. I am just wondering if they are all Pakastan Specials passed of as high quality through mail order. Or if they actually do make some decent blades. http://www.frostcutlery.com/

Wink Frost Cutlery...

A few years ago I caught the Home Shopping Network at about 2:00am. Just happened to be 'flipping' through the channels & saw these 2 guys selling bunches of knives. The one guy says, "This one knife is in our catalog for $295.00 but if you buy this 'Hunter's Collection' it's only $18.35." Well, a guy calls in and asks if he can get one of Frost's catalogs - subject was changed in a hurry! Enough said.

Talking ANother funny thing.

Go to the Frost websight and follow the "meet the crew" link at the bottom! http://www.frostcutlery.com

Also How do they stay in Business that way? They even claim to be the fastest growing knife company!!
    Last edited by TantoMaster; 07-16-2002 at 08:20 PM.

theyre junk.
    the hen and roosters are not built as well as the ones from 20 plus years ago,either.
    junk.

Though I agree that Hen & Rooster knives are not as good as they before Robert Klass of Kissing Crane Knives started making them, I do not agree that they are junk.

The actual Frost knives are in my opinion, junk.

Go to the Frost websight and follow the "meet the crew" link at the bottom!

They even claim to be the fastest growing knife company!!
    If they've got one guy today, but tomorrow they hire a 2nd, that's 100% growth. Benchmade's not gonna double its workforce this month.
    Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
    http://www.balisongcollector.com

the hen and roosters are not built as well as the ones from 20 plus years ago
    Hey, it takes up to 125 operations to make one of those....

Of course they don't say how many of those operations are smoke breaks.

And look! They've got folders with "Frostwood" inserts. Imagine having a wood named after yourself. This must be a great company.

Scroll down this page

About the 4th or 5th knife, you'll see pics of their Navy Seal knife. No, not their Navy SEAL knife, which are of course the NavSpecWar humans. This is their Navy Seal knife. I didn't know that the American Navy issues folders to Seals. Come to think of it, I didn't know the navy hires Seals to do any work for them!

One question though... that folder doesn't have a "flipper", so how are Seals supposed to open the folders? With their meager flippers? You'd think the Navy would spring for flippers on the knives so that the elite Navy Seals could better use their flippers to engage the "flipper" to open the knife faster!!! HEHEHE!

I don't know guys...

That "Skull Skinner" a bit further down the page is HOT looking!!!!

I just bet if the term 'you get what you pay for' holds true, then you don't get TOO screwed if you buy a Frost knife.....

They gotta be at least a half step above no name China Junk.

Joe Shmoe - ah you know by now.

All the ones I've seen are crap. Cheap plastic handles with metal liners on only one side.

My friend has one. Not exactly sure what model, though. The handles are made of some kind of plasticky rubber - whatever it is made out of doesn't hold its shape very well, and is more akin to rubber than plastic. The "single" liner it has a piece of super-thin plastic that looks no thicker than tin foil doubled over a couple of times, and it's only on one side. It's made of mystery steel. Overall, it is the epitome of a POS knife.

On the other hand, it probably cost her less than $5. I may use my knives for a lot of things, some of them perhaps questionable like constantly cutting every piece of paper in sight, but on average my knives cost 20-30 times as much.

The question to ask is, am I getting 20-30 times as much performance out of my knives in comparison to a Frost Cutlery knife? She actually wants to buy a better knife, once I showed her the difference between a quality knife and a POS knife, but doesn't want to spend more than $40. Spyderco Tenacious or Persistance then. At that price range, I can say that those knives are definitely worth 8 times as much as the Frost Cutlery. Much above that, and I think we must admit we are facing the law of diminishing returns.

An example of how crappy a Frost Cutlery knife is, here's a video from cutlerylover from youtube. It's a 10 minute long video, but if you fast forward to about 8:45 you will watch the knife break on screen. He then proceeds to snap the knife in two with his bare hands, with what appears to be little effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYq82P06eMw
    Last edited by Cynic2701; 03-29-2010 at 07:17 PM.

frost is still junk.

Frost knives are garbage!!

aw come on man, a 7.5 year old thread? and you can do a lot better than frost.
    -Matt
    "Rock is not the devil's work. It's magical and rad." -JB
    ~Carpe diem, vita brevis~

Blog Entries
    [facepalm]whatta hot topic[/facepalm]

Haha I didn't even realize the date of this thread until I saw that cat.

You'd think that with the increasing level of overseas knife quality-when knife companies demand it-would awaken some frost exec as to what their knives could be.

Sadly though the market for junk is always enough to get by on.

I watch their "Knife Show" sometimes if I can't sleep on weekends. I love the way any fixed blade knife, except a dagger or a sword, is a "Bowie" knife. Those guys are one of the best comedy acts on TV!!

I love the Frost late night Knife show. These two guys are on our side.

They tell Mr. Frost (he does exist and has made knives for over 30+ years) that they want to sell 25 Covert Elite Folders, 20 Fire Fighters, 20 SWAT folders, 15 Tactical Deltas, 50 multi colored knives in a bucket, 3 different Bowies, 1 sword AND stand and a full kitchen set for $249.99, that’s just $1.75 per knife.

Mr Frost says “No way boys, your gonna put me out of business,” They keep pushing the old man until he gives in. But only for the next 250 callers.

Odd thing, next gallery of knives. Same story, different knives.

A buck thirty six per knife! Those phones be ringing off the hook! Yes sir those are sum good ole boys, all right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information