Thread: Re: Camillus CUDA MAXX 5.5 ?

Re: Camillus CUDA MAXX 5.5 ?

ADVERTISEMENT
    How about the CUDA MAXX 5.5 ?

Hi guys,

I'm a first time Camillus owner (just scored an ATS-34 4" Cuda quik-action folder and its *nice* :-)

Having said that I *THEN* had a look (online) at the CUDA MAXX 5.5" on their website and my first thought was "come to daddy":-)

I *need* this knife:-)

Unfortunately there is only one reasonable knife shop in the city in Australia where I live - and every single knife I am interested in checking out (before buying) is either "out of stock" or "not legal in Australia anymore":-(

Anyway - I'm seriously thinking of buying this one via knifecenter/whoever online - its a GREAT looking knife - and one of my issues has ALWAYS been how hard it is to get a *good* quality folder with a decent sized blade (you really seem to be pushing it to get anything above 4 inches...)

The ONLY reasonable quality large factory folder I've managed to get my hands on here was the Cold Steel Vacquero Grande - but this CUDA MAXX 5.5 *looks* like my prayers are answered:-)

Does ANYONE have any experience with this knife or know where I can find a decent review of it?

Thanks in advance:-)

Go to the Camillus forum and start looking it, is there.

There have been many threads here about the CUDA Maxx and the overwhelming concensus has been positive. I've been carrying one as my EDC since the first batch shipped and I just become more impressed the more I use it. The Maxx is a brilliant design and Camillus has brought it to us as a production knife with no compromises. The materials, quality, and finish are all exceptional.

You will not regret buying one.

--Bob Q

Re: CUDA MAXX...

So Bob - bottom line is that it *is* as good as it looks after all?:-)

Well - that being the case - I'm going to have to go for it - Xmas is coming up soon enough and its about time the wife got me the sort of Xmas present a guy wants - something sharp and pointy:-)

BTW - one more quick question - how comfortable/balanced do you find the knife in the hand? Is the grip comfortable and what is the balance like?

Okay - I lied - TWO quick questions:-) How quickly can you deploy the blade? (someone online mentioned that the thumbstuds weren't as quick/easy as they could be?) ALSO - likely to be any noticeable difference for a left hander?

Thanks again in advance...

Joliver.

Re: Re: CUDA MAXX...

Originally posted by joliver
    So Bob - bottom line is that it *is* as good as it looks after all?:-)
    Yep!

BTW - one more quick question - how comfortable/balanced do you find the knife in the hand? Is the grip comfortable and what is the balance like?
    The whole Maxx is lighter than it looks. The actual balance point on mine is about 1-1/2" below the guards. That gives the blade a very quick feel. It goes where your hand goes instead of needing to be swung.

The grip is smooth, but between the "coffin" shape, the indents, and especially the guards, I have never found myself slipping. The lack of finger grooves and such makes it possible to use any grip with the Maxx and the smooth surface makes switching quick and easy.

Okay - I lied - TWO quick questions:-) How quickly can you deploy the blade? (someone online mentioned that the thumbstuds weren't as quick/easy as they could be?) ALSO - likely to be any noticeable difference for a left hander?
    The thumbstuds on the Maxx are not intended to open the blade; they serve as blade stops instead, providing much greater strength than a normal stop pin.

You open the Maxx using the guards as flippers. For slow opening just hook the lower guard (upper when open) with your thumb like you would a thumbstud and rotate it open. For fast opening give the upper guard (lower when open) a sharp flick with your index finger and snap your wrist. I've gotten to the point where I can draw and open the Maxx in just over a second.

Opening and gripping the Maxx are completely ambidextrous. Closing is not, since the frame lock is designed for right-handers. I've found that I can close it left handed, using my index finger, but not easily or quickly.

--Bob Q
    Last edited by bquinlan; 10-26-2002 at 05:47 PM.

Re: CUDA MAXX:-)

Well,

You've talked me into it Bob:-)

Thanks for your feedback/info - much appreciated...

BTW - checked out your guns and knives - nice:-) Must be nice living in a country where you can actually get your hands on the guns you want:-)

Australia's not like that...:-(

Joliver.

I've had mine for about a month now and, at its price, I have to say I like it. All the good descriptions posted are accurate; e.g., it disappears in your pocket, well balanced, easy to hold and open, too damn sharp and obviously built to last. I only have two observations about the knife and they are quibbles.

1. The blade is D2 and purposefully polished to tool steel look; a little rough. This allows a strong tool steel smell from the blade and possibly taste too to a sensitive pallet.

2. The knife is too big when open for EDC tasks; unless you are 6' 3" up. If I saw anyone except some of the aforementioned giants open this knife, I would think ***Bluff***

The knife is perfect for the field, camping and heavy construction. It is a joy to flip and when applied to a task it is suited for, never fails to impress observers--they're thinking sharp and not how big it is. I don't regret buying this knife at all, don't get me wrong. As a matter of fact I would like to buy the same design at 4 1/2" and 3 1/2" but with a bit more polish, thank you...

Re: Cuda Maxx...

Thanks Tadowe:-)

The more I hear the more I want this knife - I've emailed the one local knife shop here that might be able to get it in for me - but if they say no tomorrow I will be getting online tomorrow night and placing my order:-)

Re: size - I hear you - but my folder of preference is the Cold Steel Vacquero Grande anyway - which is about 7" closed and about 13" when opened - so I'm no stranger to large folders:-) I'm 6' 2" and about 125 kilo so I guess I'm probably the right size for a knife like this:-)

Re: rough finish vs mirror polish - not sure this one bothers me much - one thing that is probably good about a rough finish (I'm guessing?) is that it won't show up all the fine scratches you typically get from everyday use that would show up straight away with a mirror finish...)

Joliver.

It is actually a stonewashed finish and what that does is to seal the pores in the steel to help protect it against anything that would cause oxidation to begin. The D2 is a modified D2 and has about .5% more chromium at 12.5% than normal D2 at 12%. I think this is right, and if not someone will correct it. At these percentages of chromium D2 is not a true "stainless" steel but is more stain resistant than carbon steels. Hence the finish helps to seal and protect the steel. It is truly an awesome blade. I had one of the original DDR versions and this is as true to it as you could possibly get without Darrel doing it himself!

Re: Re: CUDA MAXX:-)

Originally posted by joliver
    BTW - checked out your guns and knives - nice:-) Must be nice living in a country where you can actually get your hands on the guns you want:-)
    Yes, it is! I worry about the directions I see us going, but at least for now it is good to have the option to choose for myself.

The US has its share of faults, but there are a lot of positive factors to help balance them out. I am very happy to live here!

--Bob Q

Originally posted by tadowe
    The knife is too big when open for EDC tasks; unless you are 6' 3" up.
    This is obviously a matter of preference and perception, but I'm 5'8" and am quite happy with the Maxx as my EDC. I carry smaller blades too, but I almost never have occasion to use them because the Maxx does everything I need.

I would note that for fine work I use a grip with my index finger up against the lower guard and my thumb extended out onto the back of the blade. That provides me with precise control, even for point work.

--Bob Q

where to buy a Cuda maxx

Bob I have been looking to buy a Cuda Maxx for two years. I owned one at that time. I happened to be showing it to some "friends"(past tense of course) and the knife "got legs". I also still own the Cuda Aftermath. That is a great knife as well, but I just want to replace my stolen Cuda Maxx. Can you tell me or steer me in the right direction to buy one? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks Rocco

coco puff... you do realize this thread is around 8 years old, don't you?

i bought a maxx when 1st available & took it to police detective in austin, tex. to see if legal for carry. he said it was but if i used it in a confrotation i would be arrested . i had 4 at one time including the cuda dominator. knife is slim, easy carry & lightin. fast. opens very smoothly with minor effort. still have 2 in my assortment.my attentiveness on the streets allows me to feel comfortable with a b.m. 710 or endura these days. wish i had this knife when i was working nights in l.a. in 60s.
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by coco puff View Post
    Bob I have been looking to buy a Cuda Maxx for two years. I owned one at that time. I happened to be showing it to some "friends"(past tense of course) and the knife "got legs". I also still own the Cuda Aftermath. That is a great knife as well, but I just want to replace my stolen Cuda Maxx. Can you tell me or steer me in the right direction to buy one? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks Rocco
    Good luck! Camillus USA went out of business shortly after Schrade USA did in 2004.
    I don't know what happened to the Camillus name, but I do know that the SCHRADE name was bought by Taylor Cutlery and promptly sent to China for reproduction.
    -Bruce

any interested in cuda maxx please p.m. me. dennis strickland

Thread Information