Thread: Luminox Navy SEALs watches? Any good?

Luminox Navy SEALs watches? Any good?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I told my mom she can get me one of those watches for an after Army training gift, when I'm about to go to my duty station

Anyone know about these watches? I need something rough and tough.

This letter must be genuine...
    http://www.gems4me.com/navsealtesle.html

Here is the Navy SEAL II model (the cheaper SEAL I model is about $160 and the numbers aren't as bold lookign):
    http://www.gems4me.com/noname2.html

Double gasket crown/stem confers water resistance of 20atm/200 meters/660 feet
    That's a hella lot.

The past 2 watches - Swiss Army brand and Wenger - have both died because of moisture getting inside the watch.

Suggestions for other watch models are welcome, also

Warthog

Well I don't personally own one but that is because of what I have read here. There is a mixed feeling about these watches and there have been to many bad tales about these watches latley. If you do a search you will find LOTS of posts about Luminox. There is one thing im sure most would agree about and that is that there customer service is a pathetic! I would personally recomend a G-Shock. They have been known to take a beating and keep on ticking! Hope this helps!

Ryan

You're in the Army and want to wear a watch that says Navy Seals on it?? If I were you, I would get one of the Luminox watches that is Service generic. I have owned the original Navy Seal watch, and I loved it. Mostly because it glowed so bright. I really wish it had a date feature, but that is a non-issue with the newer models. Mine was run over by a car. No, this isn't some miracle watch that I just picked up and it didn't have a scratch on it. It was busted all to hell. The crystal was broke the hands smooshed all together, one of the latches for the bands was broken. Why am I mentioning this? Well, after straightening the hands out, it kept, and has until this day, kept perfect time. None of the tritium vials were broken, so it still glows also. I wish I had another to replace it, maybe a titanium version or SS version.

Mike

Any of their other service generic watches are not black and seem more delicate.

I consider analog watches to be classy...but I might have to get a G-Shock digital (nice watch, btw) and choose function over form...bah

Warthog

If I were still in the Army and going to get a Luminox, I would get one from Bill Yao. He has several dial options available. Quite an improvement.

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/index.html

I also like the G-shock. My current G-shock is the g-5600 tough solar.

Here is a link to a thread about it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ighlight=g5600

Thinner than the average g-shock, has great features, and doesn't need a battery.
    Dennis Bible

Look at these REAL issue watches

Saddle Hill Ranch, North Island, New Zealand.
    About the Luminox so called Navy SEAL watch:

Navy SEALs are issued G-Shocks, not Luminox or anything else. Some buy their own watches, but generally they mostly have G-Shocks.
    I can't remember the exact model number, but it's nothing speical. Just a normal G-shock. And it doesn't even say SEAL on it or anything cocky like that.

If I could recommend one watch, this is it.
    Last edited by Emanuel; 12-12-2002 at 01:25 AM.

Looking into G-Shock

I'm growing towards the digital watches now...much more funciont, easy to read, very easy to light up at night, DUAL time zones...etc.

Saddle Hill Ranch, North Island, New Zealand.
    I found the model:

OK, SEALs are issued G-Shock Illuminators model number DW-6600. Often they also use Waterborne bands with them.

I know what it looks like. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. It's a very normal G-Shock, looks like the one I've got on my wrist right now infact.

It has a bar graph that counts off seconds and portions of a minute. Like I said, nothing out of the ordinary.

If I were you I wouldn't bother trying to find this exact model, buy any G-Shock you can find. All are 20 bar water resist. and generally pretty much the same in function and exatly the same in strength/durability.

What can I say, i love them. I've had one for such a very long time. When I was a kid I had one with a ten year lithium battery. The damn thing lasted 13 years. The rubber casing broke, but the battery lasted another one year meaning in total it lasted 14 years. Perfectly usable even after the rubber broke.

Good luck!!

Here is a review of the G-5600 G-shock:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1033524487

You can go to this forum:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/78440?it=51

And gets lots of info about it and other G-shocks.

If you are looking for issue watches go to www.broadarrow.net They have lots of military watches for sale and also have a forum for military watches.
    Dennis Bible

Other than their reputation for poor customer service there are 2 reasons that I won't get a Luminox:

-Fake military badging and endorsements are just plain dumb. I wouldn't get a watch that said SEALS even if it was issue stuff, and I'm certainly not going to get one that isn't. The product should be able to stand on it's own merits without relying on misleading "tactical" ads.

-If I am spending more than 50 bucks for a watch you can bet that watch is not going to be quartz. I find that mechanical watches are entirely more appealing and interesting than quartz.

I would take a look at getting a Poljot or Invicta mechanical watch. I prefer Poljot.

Excellent...thanks all!

Thread Information