Thread: Sharpening Wharncliffe- point rounds

Sharpening Wharncliffe- point rounds

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just made my first Wharncliffe style blade, sort of a Snody Ronin-looking thing, and while sharpening it I notice that the point is not quite straight off the edge, but it sort of rounding instead. Am I doing something wrong, and how do you get the edge, tip included, so be perfectly straight on a knife like this?

Are you sharpening on a slack belt? On some blade types, I find that you get a straighter edge using the flat platen.

Think of edge geometry for a moment. The tip is the thinnest cross-section on the edge. If you don't conciously force yourself to maintain the knife at the same angle as you draw the edge across your sharpening medium the tip will naturally develop a curve because it wears faster. You're most likely raising the knife (handle end) up as you reach the tip. I think most people do, including me. I could be off here but that's my take on it. Besides, does the edge have to be 'perfectly' straight in order to be effective? Could be a best of both worlds kind of thing depending on how you look at it. A rounded tip will be less likely to snap off as compared to a straight, square tip. But that's just my opinion. The only way I know of to reshape the rounded end is to keep grinding on it till it gets straight. Draw filing comes to mind here. Good luck and have fun.

Steve, the only way to keep them straight is to come straight off the belt or stone. If you tip you hand down or pull it out towards you it will take more off the tip. Also, if the tip is a little thinner at the edge then the rest of the primary bevel before you sharpen it will naturally tend to curve up as you remove steel when sharpening. Does this make any sense?

Florida Panhandle, bout 35 miles east of Pensacola
    This drives me nuts Steve!!
    I'm gonna come up with some kind of jig or device to prevent it cause odds are I'm never gonna get the Kit Carson knack for it. I tried his method of grinding the terminal edge on the platent and it was a mess!

MAXXXXXXXXXXX
    Sure is grand to see ya postin!!! How ya doin?

One thing you can do to correct it is grind of a bit of the end of the blade to make the tip a point again...but I bet you've already done that. Everyone is right, you just have to breathe right as the point comes across the platen to keep it from rounding up. You can do it!

Dave

The only way I know of to fix it is to practice. The last few knives I've tried had the tips rounded, and they werent even wharncliffe blades.

like the man said...................practice, practice, practice!!!!

Actually, the key is in the WRIST.........

Do NOT pull your hand UP when getting to the tip, but rather roll your wrist forward toward the wall behind the grinder as you pull away from the grinder just a bit, and you can learn to get a perfectly even sharpening grind on all your knives. You leave the knife blade in the SAME PLANE in relation to the floor thruout the process, just learn to roll your knuckles forward just a bit as you get to the tip while pulling back toward your stomach.....it does take quite a bit of practice and it is NOT a natural movement........took me three days to get it down to a science.
    Last edited by tom mayo; 11-04-2003 at 06:01 PM.

Thread Information