Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fake Custom Knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    Those handles look like they came from animals with a bad case of radiation poisoning. We would need lead-lined gloves to handle them.

Originally posted by Danbo
    Damn, those are some ugly ass looking "knives"!

what's his tang stamp look like

Ummmmm,Uhhhh,mmmmmmmm,this thread is 6 1/2 years old

Well, this is an ancient thread but is JJ still making knives? He came through town and set up at our local mall one year. He has quite the sales pitch. People were actually falling for it too. He stopped talking to me when I told him I was in the ABS.
    Please visit my website at http://brucebumpknives.com click on my Knifedogs personal forum at:http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.ph...ce-Bump-Knives for hours and hours of tutorials on Knives and Cut N Shoot combinations

Sadly the man is still out there selling. I've seen him at the San Frascio gun show and the big reno gunshow. He still has a line imported damascus knives he claims to make but now claims to be one of only two people in the world (well that was the last time I talked with him the first time he said he was the only person) who makes Wootz steel. He is a little funny to listen to with all the shuck and jive about how he understand nickel alloys and uses D2 in the Wootze. The only thing is it isnt funny be because a lot of folks are getting hunt. He moved to Fallon Nevada so look out.
    Kelley

I'm seeing a lot of similar auction on eBay and Gunbroker. When I ask if they are forging the blades or who is, I get no response. I ask where they are made or what the metal is, no response. There are guys here and on bf that forge metal and sell stock to custom knifemakers. Those guys grind, shape to come up with a custom blade that I beleive in. I don't agree with a put together kit knife that has a buy it now of $475 amd no reserve starting at $1.

Myself, I don't care where the blade is made, just that it is quality and the maker will stand behind it. The craftsman shapes it, gives it a soul and puts it together with finis. If you can use a five year old to craft a good blade out of India and Paki that you're better at motivating them than I am as a parent. Child labor age was raised from 3 to 5 several years ago and these were the last two international hold outs.

I can tell you that ebay is not going upstream, I sell non-related goods and eBay is working with the FBI and FTC on forgories and fakes. They go back years before they press chargees. They have a new task force going after jeweler sellers right now.

If they are still selling on ebay report them to the abuse center. They will shut them down on ebay at least. I have seen a few sellers shut down for selling fake or misleading products.

http://www.acrichardscustomknives.com
    Avatar Scott Taylor Memorial Scholarship Knife
    Photo by Bob Glassman
    Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
    OTAC USN Retired

Email woodchuckforge@gmail.com

There use to be a lot of FAKE loveless Knives coming out of New York. I haven't seen any lately.

I did find a gun dealer in Copperas cove Tx. selling a fake Ralph Bone bowie make from a ultra thin Pakistan blade. The handles were being held on by hammered rivets and what looked like tar filling in the "huge" gaps.

The Gun Dealer sold it for 6 to 700.00 USD. It had to be worth at least $15.00.

He knew very well it was fake!

Mike
    Maker
    The Loveless Connection Knives

Think this needs a bump to the top!!!!

I saw this guy at the Reno show last year. He had me so pissed off from the BS he was spewing a buddy had to pull me away because of my visible anger and loudness. I was trying to make a scene and wanted everyone around to know this guy was full of crap.
    Mike Quesenberry
    ABS Mastersmith
    www.Quesenberryknives.com

I don't understand why BLADE magazine still allows this guy Jason Jacobs to advertise in their classified section. he's still in the April 2011 magazine.

I just checked the Blue Ridge listing for JJ's Knife Kits and got an error message, there were no listings of anything for sale.

Yeah, this guy was at the Saxet Gun Show in San Antonio, Texas this weekend. Some of the worst-looking work I've ever seen, and he was shovelling it fast and deep. Every time I happenend to walk by, he was talking to someone as fast as he could go. Not only were the terrible work, he was talking them up to be great. I know he parted at least two fools from their money, but the one at least only lost $30.

Sad way to live your life. It's easier to just do good work.
    James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: www.helmgrind.com

Somebody needs to kick him in the crotch and set him on fire.

At one point, my life was meaningless. Hobos spit on me and little children would run up and punch me in the groin.

this guys post cracked me up. i bet it was him or one of his buddies trying to make him look good http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...97#post8749697
    I offer professional knife sharpening 40 years of experience, 22 with the paper wheels. $1. per inch for a v edge, $2 for a convex. I sharpen all edges & "Ti" knives, serrations. plus i do regrinds. Check out my website.http://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/Home

so whats the plan guys - everyone sign into their ebay account find a couple his ebay postings and report them to the fraudor w/e relevant department and get him banned from ebay and then from other forums and then gun/knife shows? lets make it happen!

edit- LOL find him at a knife show and have people with signs saying how hes a fake and show off the actual pakistani knives hes been restamping and kill his cred on the spot in front of everyone

I didn't stick around the table long enough to see any Pakistani knives. All I saw were the ones he had made himself, and if I were making knives that bad, I wouldn't be posting pictures, much less trying to sell them, much less trying to pass them off as the greatest knives EVAR!

I actually first encountered his work when a guy came up to my table and asked me what he thought of a knife he had just bought. It looked like someone's very first attempt to make a knife with an angle grinder after they had been drinking a bit too much. Big uneven gap between the guard and the antler haphazardly filled with epoxy, blocky, somewhat shaped guard, bad grind on the blade, and a laughable gut hook that seriously looked like it was done with an angle grinder while the guy was having a sneezing fit. It kind of had an edge.

Then the guy who split the table with me came walking up with one of Jason Jacobs' handouts about his "Krystal Damascus" and said I should go look at his ugly blade profiles. The handout was a source of much amusement and confusion as to what exactly Jacobs was trying to claim. The part I found funniest, although there was more that was blatant, was how he used a steel "code-named ISO 1095" which was a high-carbon steel from Europe. Guess Ka-Bar, TOPS, Ontario, etc. are all making shipments from Europe to supply their factories.

The profiles and handles that I saw while walking by his table were head-scratchingly awful.

Then on Sunday, this woman comes by my table looking at my blades. She looks a bit familiar and I have a sneaking suspicion. I talk with her, and she asks if I teach blacksmithing, then comments that her husband couldn't do it because of some shoulder issue. She also comments on how sharp my ax is, saying her husband didn't keep their tools sharp. I walk by Jason Jacobs' table later on my way to the bathroom, and sure enough, there she sits beside him. It was his wife. I started just laughing out loud as I walked past. Couldn't help it.

That, and he apparantly had some nonsense story about having worked at Smith and Wesson until they moved to Taiwan (which a former gun dealer tells me never occurred) and how he was going to go work for Buck but he had a disagreement about their steel quality.

Wonder if he'll be back next month.
    James Helm - Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: www.helmgrind.com

LOL!

There are a lot of fake customs floating around. Unfortunately, the average person simply doesn't know any better. It really gives the industry a bad name.

If is sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

I agree that there are a lot of fake customs out there, but it is not just the average person being taken. There are a few dealers out there with YEARS of experience, who unknown to them are also being taken.

Visit my website at www.gedraitisknives.com

I was the other guy at stormcrows table, and i gotta tell you i have never been shoveled so much bullshit in my life. I just stood there and listened to him go on and on. As soon i as mentioned that was a vendor and we had a table set up with custom knives, his wife's eyes went wide and her hands went through her hair as if to say " you need to shut up now."

It was sad and hilarious at the same time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information