Thread: Best sharpening angle for S30V?

Question Best sharpening angle for S30V?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I keep a 30 degree angle on my S30V Millie, mainly because I love the exreme sharpness at this angle. However, I am curious if the S30V can chip easily, or be brittle, just as the CPM440V. If this may be the case, I'd rather sharpen at the 40 degree for a little tougher edge.

For those of you who are more familiar with S30V, which would be the best sharpening angle?

Thanks.

The 30 degree setting is more than adequate for S30V. Your first few sharpenings may cause doubt as you have to wear away furroughs left by the initial factory sharpening, but it should still be good and keep getting better.

Thanks, Thom. I've run the edge on my 204, and the steel did seem to get sharper, if that's possible! I don't think that any of my older Millies were ever that sharp.

You're welcome, KBR. The 440V Militaries could get just as sharp as the S30V Militaries (I think), but it required more TLC.

Perhaps the most glowing endorsement for S30V, though, is that Buzzbait converted his 440V Millie to a convex grind, but kept the flat grind on his S30V model.

Thread Information