Thread: schrade old timer stockman

Cool schrade old timer stockman

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello all,
    I purchased a large old timer stockman from a local flea market,Main blade is marked schrade usa 858. knife is approx. 5" close,bolsters are rounded at the ends,delrin handles with the old timer shield.i think that this is an older model
    as i have never seen an old timer stockman of this size,blades are carbon steel,knife looks brand new. Any info would be helpful, Thanks Bob B

Bob b
    The 858OT Lumberjack is a large older model It stopped being produced in 1986. First production in 1978.
    Last catalog price was $36.95. As you said it has rounded bolsters rather than the more squared off style like the 8OT.
    The book also says there is an 858OTS where the S stands for Sheath.

Hope that helps some.
    Larry
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

Welcome to our forum, Bob.

For the second time in two days I turn to the indispensible Schrade reference by Robert Clemente: A Catalog History of Schrade Knives This is the 'Lumberjack' model.

First production was 1978 (selling for $20), last production 1986(selling for $36.95). If it were still cataloged (or had been in Schrade's last year), it would have sold for $59.95. Yes, this big knife has rounded ends, as opposed to the 8OT, 34OT, 36OT & 44OT which all had squared ends.

Possible value range: $58 to $99.

"Note 1...The model number of this knife changed in 1986 to 858OTS, to show nomenclature for the sheath and was only offered with a sheath.

Note 2... In 1976, the 858OT was offered with a sheath.

Note 3... From 1983 to 1985, there were two numbered offerings of the 858, the 858OT and the 858OTS (the S meaning with sheath.

Note 4... The 858OT Lumberjack is a very large three blade stockman pattern knife, but was still described as a 'pocket knife'"

This book by Clemente is an invaluable resource. I recommend it!

Phil

Whooopss... Looks like Larry helped out while I was typing my answer.

Larry... a few years ago, there was a computer product that you could use to scan and then cut and paste (even edit) things taken verbatim out of a book or whatever. You familiar with that product?

Phil

I bought one of those in a lot off Ebay a couple of years ago....it was a used knife and the blades were DEFINITLEY stainless steel. Did the catalogs list it as Schrade +?

Phil,
    I think your talking about OCR. OCR software comes with most scanners these days. Some are full of features like spell check and forms makers where others just get you a word document from the scanned data. I have used a product called Omnipage pro for years starting with ver 7 and I'm currently on ver 12. You can take any image containing text and run it through these programs and end up with an editable document. None are 100 % but they are getting better all the time.
    Does a pretty good job.

If you need more info let me know and I'll email you.

TTYL
    Larry
    Robert Clemente's e-mail is
    clemente@charter.net
    Tell him that Larry and Phil sent ya.
    Last edited by lrv; 12-10-2004 at 11:44 PM.
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

Thread Information