Thread: Schrade Ireland

Schrade Ireland

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ok, so I picked up a couple of Made in Ireland Imperial(Schrade) Barlows at my favorite hardware store (last 2) for my boys, so they will have one like Dad's (a Colonial, but otherwise identical).

Can anyone comment on Schrade's Irish connections, both pre and post closure? Who own's the plant, what else do they make, etc.

Hello (Hello Hello Hello Hello

Boy, this has been a quiet one........

Back in November, I bought an Irish Schrade AP55 Apex. Rather like a pocket beast without the steroids. The fit and finish wasn't bad. Just cheaper materials and not quite up to the standard I had come to expect from Schrade. I bought it out of curiosity, and because it was cheap NIB. This Christmas I gave my son a 152OT Sharpfinger, and dropped the Apex in the box as a bonus. He liked the Apex best, mostly because it was stamped Ireland and he has a facination with our Irish heritage. It certainly wasn't because it was the better of the two knives! There was one picture of the Irish plant in the magazine article I pointed out a while back, Knives Illustrated. You are now in posession of my knowledge of the Irish facility! Wish I could help more.

I think LT was at the Irish facility once, to watch Army and Boston College play ping pong.....and drink Tullamore Dew.....or was it Bushmills........Hmmmmm, maybe I'm confusing another trip he told us about once.....

Anyway, it's nice that Codger's son shares our hobby, no matter why.
    Oh, and that we could step up this thread for JHouston.....

Over and out.

Bill

Debbie has been busy doing who knows what but from what I can remember the Ireland factory was closed a couple of years ago and is currently not in operation. I also do not believe any of the OT and UH models were made there.
    TTYL
    Larry
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

The magic of Google:

http://archives.tcm.ie/thekingdom/20...story12814.asp

The Kingdom, Thursday, March 18, 2004

Black day of cuts as jobs go at Imperial Stag factory

NORTH Kerry company Imperial Stag/Imperial Schrade Europe Ltd has ceased trading with immediate effect, it has been confirmed.

The company, which produces pocket-knives and cutting tools for DIY and gardening, has made the necessary arrangements to have a liquidator appointed.

This will leave a further 13 people jobless, with the announcement coming less than a fortnight after news that there would be 28 redundancies at the plant.

Staff were informed of the shock decision just weeks after management had announced that 13 jobs would be kept to run a warehousing and a small production line.

Last Friday members of SIPTU rejected redundancy terms which offered workers the statutory pay-out. A company spokesman said production in Ireland became very difficult as a result of cost pressures due to Chinese competitors’ pricing.

Other difficulties encountered included a reduction in product demand, particularly in US, triggered by the September the 11 attacks, where knives were used. Market and exchange rate difficulties due to the weakness of the US dollar also caused serious problems, according to management at the company.

“We regret having to take this final decision, which in no way reflects on the individual performance of our staff,” said a spokesman.

“ We acknowledge the contribution of our dedicated staff over many years and particularly their understanding and co-operation during recent difficult times for the company”.

Imperial Schrade Europe Ltd was established in Listowel 43 years ago and has significantly contributed to the economic life of the area, over this long period. Imperial Schrade Europe is a subsidiary of US-based Schrade Corp, which manufactures of knives and cutting tools.
    Wow, 43 years...

I remember that story form LT, I don´t understand why it reminds me of John Wayne in "The Quiet Man", fist fighting in some small town Irish pub.

By the way, my epoxy rehandled Imperial Ireland knives are holding fine, now I understand why the Barlow is marked "Stag Ireland", I also have a two bladed fisherman (clip and scaler/hook disgorger/bottle opener) which I had considered disassembling and taking out the scaler blade to turn it into a one bladed Texas Toothpick, but now I think I´ll leave it alone. These knives were also sold under the Coghlans name.

Time for some Tyrconnel Malt.

Luis
    Last edited by Don Luis; 01-12-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks for a good bit of information, Luis.
    Enjoy your drink.
    Phil

Thanks for the info. I think I've got one of those same Fish Knives. Yellow handled "cellulose". My Grandpa James, a jeweler, apparantly repaired it with a bronze weld when the bolsters seperated from the liners at the joint.

Ah, the Quiet Man, a most excellent movie!

Thread Information