Thread: Buck 124 Maroon/Burgundy Micarta

Buck 124 Maroon/Burgundy Micarta

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm trading for a never used or sharpened 124 with burgundy/maroon micarta scales. It also has a lanyard hole. Blade reads only Buck 124 USA. Any ideas about the value of this knife? It's in near-mint condition but comes without a box.

Thanks much!

I'm also picking up a 106 Buck hatchet with black micarta handles and factory sheath. If anyone has an idea of its ballpark value, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ASP; 03-23-2005 at 10:48 AM.

124 value

on ebay i am watching them now for steel deals and the price seems to be with out box about 90$ give or take 20$ depending on who see's it...
    used in only good shape they seem to bring to much at 60 to 70 and new in box not enugtht sometimes at 90 to 115. i have one and need another one that is a collecter item as the one i have is a user i bought new in 71...
    later dave

Thanks Dave. I had hoped the maroon micarta versions might be a bit more rare and fetch a higher dollar but haven't really followed them on Ebay. I'll also search for 106 hatchets on Ebay. Those hatchets are pretty cool items whether they're worth much or not.

Thanks again.

ASP, dont be fooled by what the idiots on ebay are doing! you are getting a rare knife and if it is in the condition advertised when you get it, they are alot more valuable than that.
    Search the forum for '124' and Frontiersman. I just did a quick check and there is alot of information on them.
    Take care,guy
    Last edited by guy g; 03-26-2005 at 08:21 AM. Reason: clicked wrong button

Thanks Guy. The same version of the knife I just traded for is currently listed on Ebay for $325. I believe you're right; the maroon micarta makes them pretty rare.

124 w/red micarta handles

Quote Originally Posted by ASP
    Thanks Guy. The same version of the knife I just traded for is currently listed on Ebay for $325. I believe you're right; the maroon micarta makes them pretty rare.
    I picked one up NIB w/paperwork last fall on Ebay for a good price. Paid more than the black micarta or wood handled ones are going for, but far less than the $325 you mentioned. I discussed it with Joe Houser at the time & he said they we're rare indeed. Nobody at the factory seemed to know just how many of the red micarta's we're made, but Joe felt the # was pretty low, since they don't show up very often. Mine was dated to 1973, according the the paperwork. You made a good find.....& perhaps a great trade. Hope the other guy knows what he's trading away.

Thanks for the reply Mick. The last time I checked, there were no bidders on the 124 currently offered at $325 on Ebay.

Anyone have an idea about the value or scarcity of the 106 hatchet with black micarta handles? I received it in the same trade. I really like that little hatchet. First thing I did was cut myself with it while giving it a light going-over with some flitz. Sharp hatchet for sure.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ASP
    Thanks for the reply Mick. The last time I checked, there were no bidders on the 124 currently offered at $325 on Ebay.

Anyone have an idea about the value or scarcity of the 106 hatchet with black micarta handles? I received it in the same trade. I really like that little hatchet. First thing I did was cut myself with it while giving it a light going-over with some flitz. Sharp hatchet for sure.

Thanks again.
    Glad to help out. As already mentioned, use the search feature here & you'll find old threads on most of the different models Buck has made over the years. Just click on "Search this forum" on the right hand side of the page. Type in 106, & it will bring up alot of helpful threads from the past. Last time I saw NIB 106's w/black micarta on ebay, they we're $100-150 range.

Thanks again Mick. I usually do a search before posting but the search function wasn't responding when I initially tried on this topic last week. Will give it another whirl today.

Ok,
    I got my data out for the 106 and we did black micarta handles from 1971 through 1972. Stampings will be either BUCK, U.S.A. or BUCK, 106, U.S.A. without date code. There were only about 3500 of the above made.
    I always say, the 106 does not get the respect it deserves. When you look at the scarcity of the various versions and the price they sell for on Ebay or at shows, it does not make sense.
    I hope this helps.
    Joe Houser
    Director of Consumer relations Buck Knives Inc.
    Buck Collectors club Liaison, Member #123

Thanks so very much Joe. The maroon micarta 124 and the black micarta 106 look really nice in my new walnut presentation case. They've brought back so many memories of collecting (and carrying) Bucks in the '60's and '70's. From the Kalinga on down, I believe I had most of them and presently feel an urge to revisit that time. Budding Buck collector--second edition---here.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you need to find a maroon handled 401 Kalinga!
    Not that your display doen't look good now but can you imagine what it would look like with the complete family?
    Welcome to the sickness we call collecting.
    Joe Houser
    Director of Consumer relations Buck Knives Inc.
    Buck Collectors club Liaison, Member #123

I really regret letting the Kalinga go a few years back. I believe you're right Joe.
    Consider the search officially ON.

Hogging off steel on a belt grinder in (Gods Country) MD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houser
    Sounds like you need to find a maroon handled 401 Kalinga!
    Not that your display doen't look good now but can you imagine what it would look like with the complete family?
    Welcome to the sickness we call collecting.
    What about the maroon handled Akouna? I got one of those off of E-Bay for $135.00. How rare are these?
    Scott
    Gossman Knives, Wilderness Tools
    Built with American Pride in the USA
    www.gossmanknives.com
    Tusker User Group #01

Thread Information