Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: In Memorium - Bill Martino and Rusty Slate

ADVERTISEMENT
    munk, that was a beautiful post.

Thank you, munk.

First and foremost Rusty is/was my brother in every sense of the word except we had completely different parents.
    And what was really nice too me was that Rusty and I are/were brothers in the sense of the last generation of my bio family where every family member really and truly loved each other unconditionally.
    Not so rare in families of previous generations but seems too be very rare in families of today's world.
    That didn't mean that Rusty and I always saw eye to eye or that we always felt or believed the same things but it meant that whatever the other thought or felt was okay in the other's eyes.
    I always felt to be uncommonly blessed by being able to be in a relationship like that with Rusty because there are few that I feel that way about but I'm glad and happy too say that there have been more since I met and got too know my little Bro.

And what amazed me was that when Rusty loved someone there was no degree to that love. Everyone Rusty truly loved as family he loved unconditionally.
    And I wish I could say that about myself and I am very definitely going to keep on trying to love as my little Bro loved; perhaps one day I'll be successful to.

I'll never forget the day that I first met Rusty in person. It was at the first Khukuri Khonvention in Reno.
    Rusty came walking into the room and Uncle Bill said, "There's Rusty."
    And here was this little short leprechaun appearing fellow that also sounded like what I imagined a leprechaun would sound like.
    I walked over to him and said, "Osiyo Bro!" Rusty grabbed me in a hug that belied his stature!
    I often thought that Rusty was proud of his 5' 4" height as he found some of the most unlikely ways to mention it.
    Rusty also used his height as an advantage when dealing with some of the low life people he had to deal with in his job as a social worker.
    It seems that most would always underestimate Rusty's abilities based on his height.
    A huge mistake!!!!
    What they didn't realize was that Rusty was a huge man inside where it really counts!!!!

I'm also very fortunate to have had my little Bro as a guest in my home.
    My health had been improving from a low and I was really feeling good a week before he arrived here.
    There was so much I wanted to do with Rusty and so many places I wanted to show him.
    But by the time he arrived I had had a relapse and I couldn't do anything for the pain and the nausea I was having.
    I felt really, really, bad about it but Rusty with his unconditional love just blowed everything off and we just set and visited.
    Not necessarily a bad thing.
    I will treasure those memories always.

I'm an extremely proud man in that Rusty claimed me as a true Brother and I will cherish that and Rusty's unconditional love for me always.

Rusty too me is/was the ideal representative of what a person who claimed to be a true Christian is and should be.
    And I have no higher praise for anyone that claims to be Christian.
    Not many can attain the stature of my little Bro Rusty.

When I first got here with my questions, Rusty was one of the many who answered. What sticks out most in my mind was a good natured ribbing delivered by Yvsa or Munk IIRC - that Rusty was 5'4" and would find a way to work that fact into nearly every conversation he took part in. I got a chuckle out of that several times further on down the line.

I never really got to know him - I got here far too late. Judging by what he's said in the past, and what others whom I respect immensely say about him now, I really wish that I had. He seemed to have more empathy than any three people. Whether this was a result of his work, or his work was a result of this isn't known to me.

Yes, I found this place far too late...but that's better than not finding it at all. We've lost two good people in the last week but we have many more left to us here. I count myself blessed for that alone.

Great posts, folks. Thank you for sharing them with those of us who haven't been here for long.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories about Rusty. He was a fine man.

Ice

Thank you Yvsa, and Munk. Thank you Tohatchi.

I never met him in person, but I loved the man and held him in the highest regard. My most memorable time - when we moved into our house, in a good neighborhood and all, after about 3 months, we were robbed. All my khukuries were stolen, old favorite pistol, lots of personal stuff and anything of value that could be toted off. I was devastated, and in a sort of shock for a while.
    I couldn't sleep in our house well. I couldn't take a nap for a long long time.
    I had a hard time getting over the idea that someone had invaded our sacred space, were my children are sheltered.

Rusty sent me a khukuri after it all happened. He said it was an old khuk that he wasn't very drawn to. He sent it as a loaner until we got ourselves together and I got a replacement. Some time passed and I let him know that I was ready to send it back. He said that's OK, just pass along it or another khukuri to someone when the time came. I have passed khukuries on since that time.

I remember when it came, it had that sweet smelling karma sutra oil with cloves aroma. I can see why he liked it, it smells really good.
    That "old khuk", with an old brown wood handle, to this day, is my very favorite all time blade. l can feel the love of that man through that khukuri and it has served as a reminder to me about the qualities that are important with a sword or blade. Honor and Great Heart.

Ahoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion's Roar
    the qualities that are important with a sword or blade. Honor and Great Heart. Ahoe.
    What does this have to do with khukuris?
    Everything!

What do khukuris have to do with this forum?
    Nothing!

I suspect that a great riddle has been placed before us. I suspect that a mirror reflects your image differently to everyone who looks into it with you.
    I suspect that this forum is just such a mirror.
    I also believe that this is a great thing, a polisher of the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyinJapan
    What does this have to do with khukuris?
    Everything!

What do khukuris have to do with this forum?
    Nothing!

I suspect that a great riddle has been placed before us. I suspect that a mirror reflects your image differently to everyone who looks into it with you.
    I suspect that this forum is just such a mirror.
    I also believe that this is a great thing, a polisher of the heart.
    Well said DIJ, well said indeed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by munk
    Thank you for allowing me to say this. I don't want to take any more of our time, and I know I've spoken personally in a public forum, and that sometimes makes people uncomfortable.

He loved this forum.
    munk
    I didn't want to include the entire passage written by Munk but I think that had to be the most well written, thoughtful thing I've read in a long time. I never met Rusty and I think your description helped those of us who only knew him here, know him a little better. Nice work.....

God speed on your voyage Rusty.

Steve

I agree Munk. That truly was beautiful. I have this funny ability to misjudge things and people to a degree that's ridiculas. Every hit TV show that I have grown to love I hated when it first came out. I must confess that I wasn't sure about Munk when I first "met" him but as is so often the case with me, he turned out to be a truly great guy that I'm thankful to know. To say that you're a gifted writer Munk is an understatement and maybe a disservice in that I get the impression that who you are is the same as what you write--and not a polished skill.

Rusty was the exception in that I liked him right off, and wasn't dissappointed. I loved his plain spoken wisdom, even though sometimes his logic was over my (mostly empty) head. His willingness to rip off the scab and get right into what hurts to talk about, while remaining a caring and kind person, really made be realize how special he was.

I don't know why but I have the same problem with TV shows. Isn't that weird, Maui?

The HI forum folks though, I liked right off and still do.

munk

Never having met Bill, though I talked with him on the phone several times, I feel close to him. One thing that helps me is seeing his pictures.

Does anyone have a picture of Rusty? And/or Mrs. Rusty?

I would like to see a picture of him (and her/them).
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; 04-05-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
    Never having met Bill, though I talked with him on the phone several times, I feel close to him. One thing that helps me is seeing his pictures.

Does anyone have a picture of Rusty? And/or Mrs. Rusty?

I would like to see a picture of him (and her/them).
    Here you go Bill. Rusty and Pala, don't ever recall seeing one of Rusty's mate.

Edit:
    Rusty is the one in the funny Nepalese hat that looks like a leprechuan. I can't recall what the funny hat is called.
    Last edited by Yvsa; 04-05-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Rusty was a straight shooter. No BS in any post I can remember. I was always a bit scared of him in a respectful way. You did not want to throw out any BS or he could call you on it. He would be able to verbally hand you your ass and be fair about doing it. And you would walk away from it having learned something. I respected him an awful lot for his evenhanded approach to telling you how he saw it, whether it was what you wanted to hear or not. I felt like a rookie in the presence of a veteran hall of famer when he chimed in on a thread I was involved in. Would love to have him acknowledge what I said as worth while and hope he didn't shoot me full of holes if it wasn't. He would do that second part without being mean though, just tell you were you went wrong in a way that would be hard as hell to refute. He was right more often than not. God bless him and grant him eternal peace.
    Last edited by Bobwhite; 04-06-2005 at 02:19 PM. Reason: clarify my thoughts

Unhappy Rusty,

I can't believe he's gone to.What can I say he was a gentlemen.

Very cool Howard.Thanks alot

Ocean Springs, Mississippi, United States
    Hey Everyone,

I haven't been at the forum for a good while. I just heard of Bill's passing today and I, well, feel sick to my stomach reading everything. I first met Bill in 1999 online. I was a college student studying computer science. I order my Ang Khola from him then. He asked if I would mine making a web page for him. So, in my spare time, I made him one. Matter of fact, the background image they use today is the original one I put on there. Bill wanted to pay me, but I refused. It was fun and I loved khukuris....not to mention Uncle Bill was one of the best people I've ever encountered. When my AK arrived, it had a hitchhiker. A Sirupati. I couldn't make my mind up between those two. It took me forever to finally choose the AK. Bill sent me both and only charged me for the AK. He was one of the finest men I've ever encountered. I feel numb. I can't believe he is gone. It hurts.

duplication
    Last edited by Kismet; 05-07-2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: duplication

re-post by mod request

Spent a lot of time on the passing of Bill and Rusty. A lot of time, trying to straighten out in my heart and mind how I would place these Men in the pantheon of my life. Not sure I have it yet; perhaps I never will, precisely.

Bill seems to me to have been a "realized" man. He lived a full life, and then started another full life, establishing BirGorkha, working through the difficulties, both initially and on-going, of being a service-oriented supplier of quality tools, and doing so in order to elevate the ambitions and standards of living of beings thousands of miles away...in some cases folks he had never and would never meet.

Moreover, he was a teacher through example. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who chanced upon the H.I. site came to be introduced, most gently, and then to be taught, through Bill's behaviors about love, integrity, friendship, the lending of soul and support, and how what you did had greater value than what you professed to believe; he welcomed all, with equal openess.

Bill was a strong person, and personality. I hated the way he left, but I rejoice in his freedom from pain. I lived with a person who left in that manner, it is torture for the sufferer, and constant anguish for the ones who care for him. I stayed with others, alone in life, who died slowly in similar ways. Odd, they offer compassion to the companions of the end, being sorry that their friends or loved ones have to be so "inconvenienced," as if they are embarrassed by their deaths. I think that is love.

Rusty...well, to me, Rusty was one of my heroes. He was dealt a bad hand in life, and stayed in the game. He was continually given burdens, and little help, yet something in the Man would not stop him from continuing the battles of everyday. Gruff, cranky, and often curmudgeonly...he had a well-spring of love, caring, and integrity which defied being defeated.

Bill's illness and death were the illness and death of an important part of Rusty. He called few "brother" and shied away from attempts at sympathy for himself, but there was a tender spot in Rusty that had a resilience and a life that made him a gentle man within a crust of skepticism. I think he was a lonely man, locked inside himself in many ways. His intelligence forced him to be tolerant, when his instincts tugged the other direction.

Bill has my admiration.

Rusty has my heart.

They are a great loss to me, everydamnedday.

Be well and safe.

Rusty is gone, too?! RIP, Rusty.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information