Thread: How to cut firebrick?

How to cut firebrick?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Anyone have any good tips on cutting hard firebrick? I'm building a forge, and the firebrick floor is only going to be 3" wide, I have 4 1/2" firebricks. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

Either use a brick saw or a diamond saw.You can rent one fairly cheap at places like Home Depot,if you don't have a friend with one.A tile installer or brick mason will probably cut them for free if you ask.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

I just use...

a masonry circular saw blade. Get several; they cost all of $1.98 each. You might have to cut 1/2 way through each side then snap'em in half in your saw won't adjust deep enough to cut all the way through. Most saws only cut 2.5 inches deep.

VERY important: USE A REALLY GOOD RESPERATOR, silicosis would be a really bad way to die....

mitch

Hey Whit Bladsmth has the best answer w/a mason saw or Diamond.If you can't afford it or can't get one a carbide tipped wood blade on your table saw will work.I sucessfully cut enough Hard Fire Brick to make a small forge in a 10 dia. stove pipe.Lined it w/kaowool from Darren Ellis then w/hard brick cut to size w/60* angles on the sides held together w/#36 mortar (Ellis too).Darren suggested a Kaowool lined tube coated w/Satinite would be more efficient but I already had the brick cut so I went with it,although the Kaowool method would have been much easier.It can be done with a carbide tipped blade but wear Hearing & Eye Protection because screaming sound is an understatement! Edit : What Anvilring said too.
    Last edited by David Wesner; 09-02-2005 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Anvilring

Thread Information