Thread: Buck Nussmuk

Buck Nussmuk

ADVERTISEMENT
    Here is Bucks custom shop version. I really love this one

T/C No. 15 "NESSMUK" KNIFE BY BUCK George Washington Sears (penname "Nessmuk"), at the age of 59, weighing 105 pounds and weak from pulmonary tuberculosis, canoed the Fulton chain of lakes in the Adirondacks in 1880. When he went into the Adirondacks, his entire load, including his canoe and two days provisions, never weighed more than 26 pounds. He favored a "trinity" system of cutting tools; a custom-built double hatchet, a substantial moose pattern folding knife, and a light, fixed, thin blade knife "handy for skinning, cutting meat, or eating with." This limited edition "Nessmuk" knife is made exclusively for Thompson/Center by Buck's Custom Shop. Limited to 150 knives, the No. 15 knife features a 4 3/4" flat grind blade with the distinct "Nessmuk" profile. Grips are made of North American Elk horn with a lanyard hole for a thong. Each knife will be marked "T/C No. 15 'Nessmuk'" and serialized 001 through 150. A leather style sheath is included.

Hogging off steel on a belt grinder in (Gods Country) MD.
    Oh my, I gotta have one of them. Where did you see that? Thanks for sharing.
    Scott
    Last edited by Gossman Knives; 09-06-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback - Knives
    Scott
    Scott, I think you can download the new Thompson Center Catalog from their website in .pdf format.

What is a "leather style" sheath, pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback - Knives
    Scott
    Scott-

I'm just wondering-- why wouldn't you just make your own? Is it because it's a limited edition? If it's not for the collector value, I'd think you could make one just as nice, (or nicer.) Just curious.

Can someone give me some history on this design? I am currious what the hump design is for and basic info.....anyone know?
    Brian Goode - NC Knifemaker
    Blade Show Atlanta Table 19-G

blgoode, the current (Sept.) issue of Fur, Fish and Game has a nice article on Nessmuk and his knife.

thanks I'll see if I can find it.............
    Brian Goode - NC Knifemaker
    Blade Show Atlanta Table 19-G

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ridgeway
    Scott-

I'm just wondering-- why wouldn't you just make your own? Is it because it's a limited edition? If it's not for the collector value, I'd think you could make one just as nice, (or nicer.) Just curious.
    To answer your question Scott, I collect Buck Knives. I, of course wouldn't use it. I also am a HUGE TC fan and have some of their collector knives already. As far as making that style, I'm going to make some in the future. I already make a similar styled blade only the hump is not as far back. I'm going to make some in the same manner as the one pictured. I like a knife to flow from handle to point. I don't like abrupt stops in a design. By that I mean sharp corners and tight angles where your fingers are.
    Scott

Write-up on Nessmuk and the knife is on OldJimbo's site:
    http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/rac...mukbydale.html

Nessmuk Chronology from members.tripod.com/~nessmuk/ (I cut & pasted it to save you the gazillion pop-ups on the website if I had linked it):
    1821 Born in Massachusetts, the oldest of 10 children
    1829 Sent to work in a cotton mill. Ran away and joined a band of Nipmuc Indians. Adopted the name Nessmuk meaning "Wood Drake"
    1830-1850 Worked at many jobs finally settling down as a shoemaker in Wellsboro Pennsylvania
    1857 Got married
    1860-1870 Wrote articles for Porter's Spirit of the Times and poems for Atlantic Monthly
    1861 Served briefly in Civil War
    1870-1880 Worked as shoemaker
    1880-1890 Wrote articles for Forest and Stream
    1880 Henry Rushton built Nessmuk his first boat Wood Drake
    1883 Takes 266 mile canoe trip thru Adirondacks.
    1890 Died on May 1 in Wellsboro Pennsylvania

(edit to add) Here are more links to Nessmuk info:
    An extensive write-up on Nessmuk tools by Schwert: http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/s_a...id_article=179
    Nessmuk's Adirondack letters online: http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/books/gws/N.HTM
    "Woodcraft & Camping" book by Nessmuk at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...955141-1916702
    "Canoeing the Adirondacks With Nessmuk: The Adirondack Letters of George Washington Sears" book at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...16702?v=glance
    Last edited by RokJok; 09-07-2005 at 03:29 PM.

I just received my Buck Nessmuk from Fox Ridge Outfitters today, I was sent number 089 out of 150. I really love it, it's a great variation of Nessmuk's handy blade.

Here it is:

Myakka, are you planning on using it or did you get it as a collectable? If you use it let us know how it performs. Thanks
    Scott

That brings back fine memories.Years ago at the age of 17 I took a canoe trip through the Fulton Chain of Lakes.A great place to canoe....What type of steel do they use ?

What blade thickness and sheath Myakka? Nice score! Been thinking about one myself...

They should use your picture. It shows off the lines of the knife better

Gundy,
    The blade is 1/8" thick. I will get a photo of the factory Buck leather sheath up a little later.

Sheath pictures

Gundy,
    Here are the photos of the sheath.

Thanks mate...nice!

Thread Information