Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out the new Delica/Endura w/ pics

ADVERTISEMENT
    The new model looks fantastic.

My only criticism is that I would like to see a full flat grind and to keep the ultra pointy tip.

Question Knife noob

Being pretty much a knife noob, can any one tell me why VG-10 blade steel is so desirable?
    I own a Delica with AUS-6 steel that I am extremely happy with. Out of my collection the Delica is one of the 3 knives I reach for most often. The others being a Benchmade Stryker ComboEdge in M2, and a Benchmade 630 Skirmish in S30V.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bones
    Being pretty much a knife noob, can any one tell me why VG-10 blade steel is so desirable?
    I own a Delica with AUS-6 steel that I am extremely happy with. Out of my collection the Delica is one of the 3 knives I reach for most often. The others being a Benchmade Stryker ComboEdge in M2, and a Benchmade 630 Skirmish in S30V.
    Hopefully you notice the AUS6 knife does not stay sharp nearly as long as the others, but if you are new to knives maybe you haven't sharpened them all up to the same level to notice. VG10 will also stay sharp longer.

Old Bones, welcome to the forums. You showed good sense/taste by posting in the Spyderco Forums first.

You've entered a world of knife lovers. We care very much about such things as steel type. What may seem to be unimportant or esoteric to non-knife people matters very much here.

VG10, in my humble opinion, is a premium quality steel. Cruise on over to the main Blade forum and explore. You will find a great deal of discussion of steel type.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bones
    VG-10 stays sharp longer than AUS-6. I also feel that VG-10 takes a finer edge.

Sorry, but the new FRN looks absolutely awful to me, like some kind of midget crocodile skins. Looks like I better get some of the old enduras and delys before they get replaced.

Ugh! Sorry, Ugh! and what happened to the pointy tip? I really liked that! great for opening envelopes......

Ugh! Oook!

Quote Originally Posted by SYK
    Sorry, but the new FRN looks absolutely awful to me, like some kind of midget crocodile skins.
    Isn't that what Spydercos always look like? I guess the new texture would be it, with the angled "scales." I Like the alligator look myself. The green Jester is really cool.

Looks like I better get some of the old enduras and delys before they get replaced.
    Heh heh! It was bound to happen. Poor Sal will never get any relief from SOMEBODY complaining they liked the old one better. I should know, because last time it was me.

Actually, maybe I should grab one more Delica while I can. I like the pictures of the new one, but with my history I am very much at risk of deciding I like the "old one" better.

Ugh! Sorry, Ugh! and what happened to the pointy tip? I really liked that! great for opening envelopes......
    That might be a problem for me too because I also use knives for a lot of mail opening. Hopefully the curved-down portion is small enough that the blade can still be inserted into the non-sealed part of the envelope at a good angle. If not, I guess it could be ground/filed/sanded down. The edge looks like the same length and shape as the old delica, so it's really extra steel humped up on the spine as you get near the tip. Removing a long section of steel from the spine might produce the old blade shape.

But that concern aside, I am still far more thrilled with the new one than worried. I basically like everything about it. I have a Salt 1 with much more of a sheep-footed tip, and it actually works out just fine.
    Last edited by Carl64; 10-07-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Has anyone seen these on the street yet?

I can not wait until the ZDP Delica is released, and in my hot little hand.

If they had a low ride clip they would be perfect.

Does anyone know for sure when these will be available?
    I can hardly wait!

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    I really like those handles, now I have to get an Endura again...

I guess if reaction is good, we could possibibly make a "low ride" (deep pocket) clip as an accessory.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser
    I guess if reaction is good, we could possibibly make a "low ride" (deep pocket) clip as an accessory.

sal
    I would go for that. Already planning to get a new Delica when they come out. A low-ride clip would be icing on the cake.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

are waved models going to be available? I remember sal saying something about another emerson collaboration in a different thread. I love my current waved endura, and if that particular feature showed up on the new models i'd be a happy camper.

Ok Sal, put me down for another BIG vote for a low ride clip.

ALRIGHT there is hope at last. Thanks Sal! A low ride clip will make for a lot of sales.

Quote Originally Posted by wwells20
    Ok Sal, put me down for another BIG vote for a low ride clip.
    You can get low ride clips at www.knifekits.com
    Dennis Bible

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Do we have the model numbers and release dates for these? I just sold my Delica and Endura last month in favor of carrying a Native, and now I have to get these!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information