Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Canal Street uses the term Mark side polished this is to denote that the knife is hand polished versus tub or some other type of polishing. The mark side is the side with the nail nick. On the older knives a glaze finish was more of a matte finish. both sides polished refers to higher end or special editions ( the Schrade D Holder editions were both sides polished.) Apparently these were the terms used for those styles of finish. I would imagine cost and the usual economic factors ( time ect ) did play a part in how these were done. In any event these are variables in construction and these terms were how they were denoted. From what I understand these were old terms. As such they were more well known ( recognizable to the buyer ) and common then. LT PS. I also attached a pic of a Buffalo Bill. ( which came up in discussion ) this one is in with some other knives ( Schrade Waldens ). I also have it individually some where but this pic should suffice for anyone wanting to know what it looked like. ( second down on left ). I am getting lazy don't want to look things up or go find stuff, oh well. PPS this is the large version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lt632ret; 04-25-2006 at 09:16 AM.

Another new collector. Just picked up two 8OT knives for $15 each, But they are slightly different. One has a clean nail slot and is dark on the grip sides. The other has a black nail slot and has a light tan on the ends of the grip sides.

Also have several SC505's

Just was successful getting a Snap on Tool 60 anniversary scrimshaw knife in a box. Any comments?

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Dale

jdflew,
    We never get tired of looking at pictures. When you get a chance post a picture in one of the threads.
    Great start.
    TTYL
    Larry
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

Irv
    The FAQ help for attachments refers to a brouse button at the bottom of the compose screen. Am I missing something? I'd love to send you the scans of the two 8 OT's for your comparison and comment.

Regarding the Snap-on Anniversary Knife.It was a limited edition of 20,000 etched on the main blade. Sn C 03756 on the nickel bolster. On the back of the main blade SCC SO-1 USA. Commemorative medal in case "The Masters Choice Commemoritive Limited edition" on the front and "Snap-On 60th Anniversary 1920-1980" on the back. Don't know what material the medal is. All in a galvanized steel box with snap lid, flocked red holder, velvet cover liner, imitation burgandy leather outside.

Any comments??

Jdflew,
    email scans to lrvickery@comcast.net
    Thanks
    Larry
    I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!

sent you a scan via snapfish (HP scanner service)

Question Schrade Ty Murray Commemorative knife

Hi Guys....newbie here. Several years ago (around 95-97 if memory serves) a freind gave me a Ty murray commerorative pocket knife. I know nothing about it really. The blade is stamped as follows:

Schrade+
    U.S.A. LTD.

On the brass bolster it is marked M 38

It has what appears to be bone for the grip, 3 brass pins, and a 14k medallion on the side that reads "Ty Murray World Champion Cowboy" The main blade has Ty Murrays autograph printed on it, and the "saw" blade has World Champion Cowboy printed on it. It also came in a burgandy leather case with a nice silk lining.

Other than that, it has nothing else to identify it. I have been to e-bay, and pretty much every other site I can find on Google with no luck. I read all the other posts on here until my eyeballs started to bleed and never saw mention of a Schrade with that number...I would just like to find out what it is worth, I have kept it in the original box since I got it, it has never been used. I was thinking about carrying it, but I don't want to do that if it worth anything. I don't know that much about the knife market, so I thought I would ask the experts. I'm leaving it in the box until I hear from you. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

P.S. - Do commemorative knives like this ever really become valuable?

Your knife appears on ebay once in a while and would bring 25 to 60 dollars depending on how bad someone wants it. While most commerative knives do not appreciate a whole lot, for many years after issue, it really depends on what the subject was, pattern, and material ( handles ect used ) but mostly how many were made. The 75th Schrade anniversary Schrade knives have held up well most parker issues and most others not so well. The vast majority do not bring vast returns. Hang on to TYs knife he is a heck of a cowboy. My Grandfather was from OKLA he used to raise cattle and ship them all over the world. He was a big man in the business Yup he was like a lot of us in my family he was a BIG BULL SHIPPER. LT

Thanks lt

I knew it was not worth a whole lot, I just hate to make it a "user". I think my best bet is to put a little 3-in-1 oil on the metal parts and put it away again. Thanks...BullShipper...jeez..

Can anyone tell me the approx date for a Schrade Scrimshaw # 515SC?

Tuchins, it depends on the artwork on it. The Schrade Scrimshaws were first issued in 1976, but I don't see a 515SC listed until 1989. That was the dog and rabbit.
    In 1990 it was the wild turkey.
    In 1991 there were two, the grizzly bear and the raccoons.
    The 515SC was also used in 1991 for the National Park Service Anniversary and displayed bison.
    In 1992 they showed mountain goats.

Maybe you should post a picture!

Codger

Hello, This is my first post. I have a Schrade 1984 series Heritage set mint in the wood case. The knives are all folders with red bone handles. Can anyone give me the value of this set?

Thanks, Matt

250 to 350 depending on who wants it. LT

A 1983 set just sold on Ebay for $247
    Eric

I know I bought it.

Lt,
    Congratulations , That is a beauty! It's really hard to find intact sets these days. Seems like everyone's breaking them up to squeeze the extra profit out if them. The NKCA founders set is a great example.

Eric

They live near me so when I went over they had another 83 an 84 a couple 7 knife display scrim sets. two working man Schrade Classics sets and a bunch of single stuff so I bought it all. LT PS Like I said with me it is a disease.

I am in awe! Hudson Valley?, Heck that's probably near me too, I'm down in Fair Oaks, just East of Wurtsboro. Every time I hear that location, I always picture it being up around Poughkeepsie or someplace across the river.
    Eric
    Last edited by ea42; 07-22-2006 at 12:07 AM.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information