Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KABAR D2 Extreme a good survival knife?

KABAR D2 Extreme a good survival knife?

ADVERTISEMENT
    does anybody have any experience with the d2 kabar as a camper/survival knife? Was wondering how well the D2 would hold up to wood chopping or digging.Any input would be great, thanks.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with a large knife in D2. It's not a smart combo IMO.

bttt.................................

I think the D2 in the kabar XTREME (ha I always wanted to do that) is quite hard to sharpen. I've always thought of D2 as a mongrel child of carbon steel and stainless but doesn't really do the stuff that either excel at. Sorry for being such a D2 hater but my reasons (I think) are well founded. Also I don't think the knife shape and weight is very well suited to chopping wood.

thanks for the info on this question guys

No problem. A great very inexpensive survival knife is the cold steel bushman it comes in two sizes and is an excellent digger and a decent chopper. I just gave one away as a present to my friend and he loves it. the only problem is the sheath isn't very secure. Just a suggestion.

ya was looking at that knife a little while ago

Kabar

I'm a Kabar fan but not of the the extreme or next gen models. I don't like the rubber handles or the plastic sheaths.

I have my original old Kabar that I've carried for many years but I have always wondered who makes the better Kabar, Camillus or Kabar?

I already have a new Kabar and I'm waiting for my Camillus version to come in the mail. I'm finally going to find out for myself!

I have some test ideas but if you have any suggestions I'm open to ideas.

Collecter

me to i have never used a kabar and was looking for input if the d2 version would make a good camper/survival knife.

If you never used one I'd suggest starting out with the original model in 1095 steel with plain edge and leather handle. If that doesn't meet your needs then you wouldn't have waisted the money on the D2 version.

Honestly, I don't think the D2 is an advantage over the 1095 for this type of knife.

I think this knife has been around for so long that the other steel offerings are just to rekindle interest.

The original is just fine the way it is and it makes a very good camp/field knife. Tis why it's still one of the knives most commonly bought by servicemen. The USMC knife and the 45 auto, don't change what's not broke!

Collecter

haha i hear ya

bttt.....................................

Actually, it is a good survivla knife, it will chop, and do some "light digging", but it is a bear to sharpen, so unless your good at sharpening high end steel, then stay away from it. D2 while not stainless, is hard enough (when properly heat treated) to be somewhat stain resistent. With this said, it is still imperative to keep the blade oiled, (especially the edge). The epoxy coating does wear off when the knife is used so it does need to be protected.

I do not carry the D2 anymore. Its a little on the heavy side for hiking, backpacking. Instead I use a knifeware kampr, does a great job slicing in the camp, and cutting brush, and is still light to carry. I think the closest offering to this that ken at knifeware has to this, would be these:

http://www.knifeware.com/blackjackquick.html

http://www.knifeware.com/blackjackgrunt.html

I worked in survival equipment in the Air Force (active duty 88-96).

Take note, a good survival knife is only as good as the person using it. A good SAK makes a good survival knife also. The kits we had in the AF had really basic knives, nothing to bragg about, but they worked. It all really depends more on your knowledge then on the equipment (although you do not want to carry cheap equipment). What you need depends on what enviroment you are in, and what your needs are.

thanks for the info. im use to the D2 im my dozier knives, but never really used one in camping/survival role. just use them around the house as more kitchen/utility knives.

D2 while not stainless, is hard enough (when properly heat treated) to be somewhat stain resistent
    Huh?! I don't think hardness has a whole lot to do with it. D2 has a lot of chromium, and is near stainless in that regard.

ya so far all i see in the dozier blades i have is they discolor when used in the role as a kitchen/utility

Yeah its technically not stainless and for a reason, its chromium content isn't as high as say 440C.

ivan,
    tell me how the D2 kabar works out for you!!
    I never got around to using it (winter)
    G

ya im going to take it out on a big camping trip thats comeing up.cant wait to see how it does!

Actually heat treat does have something to do with it!

Metal content obviously does, but a harder heat treat will make a difference. Ive been making knives for over 23 years and I know this from experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information