Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, ect..

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have added quite a few since the last time I posted in this thread so I will add a couple more I really like that were made by fellow forumnites here at Blade Forums...

First is an O'Neill...I will use his description then add my pics and comments.

Steel - 1/4" ATS-34 , Paul Bos heat treat to an Rc. of 59
    O.A.L.- is 11 3/4 "
    Blade - is 6" to front bolster, double hollow ground with sharpened edges to the plunge , top edge is 5" and bottom edge is 5 3/4 ". 600 grit machine satin finish.
    Fittings & Handle - Rag micarta with s.s. pins front and rear with a ballistic nylon cord ( green ) wrapped center .
    Sheath- designed to enclose & protect knife without snaps or straps , handmade by me .

Here it is...

Handle material is really quite nice, the rag micarta reminds me of old bakelite.

The cord wrap is inlet into the micarta scales and very tight.

Sheath is heavy leather and according to O'Neill "I must admit it , I borrowed Ideas from a Randall made sheath . I also used part of the belt loop as the 1st welt in the sheath ."

Next up is a knife from another Forum Member, mykulmorris. Again I will first use his description.

Made from a 12" Nicholson file temp'd down to 58-60rc.,10 1/2" long, 5 3/8" edge, 3/16" thick, cold blue finish, 4 3/4" Micarta handle 11/16" thk, 1/4" steel hollow pins, 7-8oz leather sheath.

Here is the knife.

What isn't mentioned is the wonderful hollow ground blade. Done on a 12 inch wheel is is very well done.

The tip profile is very stout, reminds me of a Marble Expert, this was one of the selling points for me.

The black micarta handle is well fitted and the 2 finger groove grip fits my hand quite well.

The sheath is also a well made item, made from heavy leather with some nice grain.

The sheath is not quite black but rather a very very deep chocolate brown...I do like it better than black.

I have other but I thought it would be nice to feature the work of a couple of forum members....I am sure they would make similar knives for you if you like....

Another guardless coffin handle
    Or "Baby American Bowie" as the maker, Joel Bolden, calls it.

That makes three of Joel's

Can you tell I'm a sucker for a guardless coffin handle bowie?

This thread is too good to sink into oblivion!

My latest handle on a store bought (Brusletto "mystery blade" from Ragweed Forge) blade.
    Call it Scagel meets Scandi

The only two I had as of late.

how come not so many traditional fixed blades?

I' m drawn to the older stuff, but i'm a little disappointed by the lack of fixed blade posts, and pics,... looking at pics is like a fixx for me, like I don't have to buy a new one today, (LOL)

Well, why not take your own suggestion and step up to the plate then? (And there have been plenty of fixed blade posts and threads in this forum over the years.)
    FAQ RulesMembership Subscription Options Update Your User Group

fides, ut anima, unde abiit eo nunquam redit

It might have something to do with that slippies are probably carried & used on a regular basis more than the old FBs. Also, I think people tend to "collect" slippies more than them, too.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it's why I'm more interested in slippies than old FBs.
    Robb
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, & divine means as if there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat

Quote Originally Posted by CL01 View Post
    It might have something to do with that slippies are probably carried & used on a regular basis more than the old FBs. Also, I think people tend to "collect" slippies more than them, too.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it's why I'm more interested in slippies than old FBs.
    Probably there's the bulk of the truth right there. Most people find carrying a knife in a pocket more convienent to a fixed blade on the belt. Especially in these politcly correct times we live in. Most places will get you hastled having a fixed blade, so the collector can get away with a nice slippy in the pocket. I think people tend to collect what they can get some use out of. At least it's easier to justify the cost of a new bauble it you can carry it and use it at the office. Opening mail with a new swayback jack or amber bone peanut is okay. Break out a sheath knife and building security will be there fast.

Life has changed alot scince our grandads could carry that leather handle finn on a belt while doing errends in town. With the great post WW2 migration to the new suburbs, things have got kind of "civilized" much to many of our regrets.

But then one of the first things a town did even west of the big muddy once they got civilized, (meaning once they got a telagraph and a train stop) was the outlawing of open carry of firearms and Bowie knives. Heck, the gunfight at the Okay Corral had the official exuse of the Clanton's were hanging out by Fly's photo studio wearing thier guns. That was a no-no, even in 1882.

It was all downhill after that.

So, now we can still carry pocket knives last I checked.

I definitely have a 'thing' for traditional-styled fixed blades, in fact drop point hunters with natural handles could quite possibly be my favorite style of knife. Additionally, since they're larger, fixed blades are easier to look at, the primary reason I buy knives. So you can probably guess that I have a few...

Here's a sneak-peak at some of my accumulated fixed blades:

I've got one or two (custom and production) in my photo albums as well...Feel free to have a look if interested. (Link below signature.)

Here's one I finished a couple of weeks ago next to my New Chestnut Stockman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post

Wow, love the top one. The others are nice, but that top one's handle looks very nice. What is that, if I may ask?
    Robb
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, & divine means as if there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat

As for strictly traditional (read old) i'll have to dig up a pic, but I don't know if these fit?

Quote Originally Posted by CL01 View Post
    Wow, love the top one. The others are nice, but that top one's handle looks very nice. What is that, if I may ask?
    That's a custom from Jim Rehrer. It was purchased here at BladeForums in the "For Sale By Maker" section.

That's a nice set of Bark River knives, BTW.

Here's a few of mine. I think they'd be considered traditional:

Nessmuk by Ariel Salaverria:

Ouachita Hunter by Mike Williams:

Utility by Mace Vitale:

Bird and Trout by Terry Primos:

Personal by Burt Foster:

Nice knives everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin View Post
    Here's a few of mine. I think they'd be considered traditional:

Nice knives everyone!

Wow! Awesome collection of customs from some of the best. I love the Nessmuk
    Last edited by panch0; 02-15-2009 at 02:56 PM.

In the cypress swamps of the great peninsula, USA
    Hello mkphc,

Here is an oldie but goody, fixed blade sheath knife thread that you might enjoy, if I do say so myself ..

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...413854&page=89

Best,

Anthony

Folks, to make it easier for all to browse the images please try to refrain from copying and recopying each others images. If you quote a post, just edit out the portion from [img] to [/img].

Thanks for helping out, especially for our members with slower connections.
    Last edited by Blues; 02-15-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    That's a custom from Jim Rehrer. It was purchased here at BladeForums in the "For Sale By Maker" section.

That's a nice set of Bark River knives, BTW.
    thanks
    I have a BRK/convex problem all users btw

Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread Information