Thread: Jefferson Spivey SABERTOOTH

Jefferson Spivey SABERTOOTH

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just received one of the new Jefferson Spivey Sabertooth knives. The quality is execelent and it is a good looking knife. For anyone that has not heard of this knife, you can find an article in July's(?) Knife World paper and September Knives Illustrated.
    The knife came exceptionally sharp with the spine sharpend from tip to approx. 1 1/2 inches. The saw teeth on back remind me of a Swiss Army Knife saw (And most of you know that these work great).

I will write a review when i get a chance to really use it, I have a hunting trip in about week and i will give her a good workout there.

I'd be interested in pictures of the teeth and and details on the steel, hardening and geometry of the edge, thickness/angle.

-Cliff

Cliff you can see a picture of it by doing a search in the Blade Discussion Forum. just search SPIVEY. I will get the info for you and post here with soem better pics.

Thanks, it would be appreciated. It certainly has a very nice backstory.

-Cliff

Cliff,
    Yes, it is a good story and i have spoken to Mr. Spivey several times (he is a a very nice man). He also sent one of his books titled "WindDrinker" very good and an easy read. Did you get a chance to see the knife on oneof the other posts? HE made the first original Sabertooth in thh 60's and it is a patented design.

Good Lord....for close to 300 bucks that is the most worthless knife I have ever seen! JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by deltaunit View Post
    Did you get a chance to see the knife on oneof the other posts?
    Yes, have you asked him about the design. I would like to hear his perspective on the saw back and ring/guard.

-Cliff

Pogo you're kiddin right? This knife has been proven for over 30 years in the field. He must be doing something right. keepem sharp

Well POGO, I guess you haven't had a chance to see or handle the knife. It is very well balnaced, and the knife was designed for a complete outdoor wilderness package. I will know more on edge holding ability after my hunting trip next weekend where i plan on giving it some extensive use. I can see his desing 30 years ago in the field he had cutting edge and saw on the back.
    I can't see how you can say that it looks worthlessit hasd a great edge and the sawteeth (as mentioned before) are wickedly sharp like SAK saw.

Cliff, The steel is as follows:
    CHROMOLYBDENUM 4130/BLADE THICKNESS .160
    CARBON .30
    CHROMIUM .95
    MANGANESE .50
    MOLYBEDMUN .20
    SILICON .25

Thanks for the details, that is an interesting choice for a blade steel. Do you happen to know the hardness of the blade, or better yet the heat treatment. I'll be intrested in your comments after use.

-Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Stamp View Post
    Thanks for the details, that is an interesting choice for a blade steel. Do you happen to know the hardness of the blade, or better yet the heat treatment. I'll be intrested in your comments after use.

-Cliff
    From what i know that is an old steel with similar components used in old military tanks, as a matter of fact in one of the articles I read about Bo Randall suggested this steel to Mr. Spivey in the 60's. As a note, a Sabertooth knife sent to Mr. Randall from MR. Spivey sits in the Randall museum.
    AS for hardness, i am not sure of it's Rockwell however I did sharpen some stakes made out of seasoned maple and the edge help up.

Yes, it is a common construction grade steel, sometimes used in tomahawk heads. This is the first time I have heard it used in a knife.

-Cliff

Please tell us how you made out with the knife. Im very interested in hearing your review. Im thinking about buying one but would like to hear your opinion before buying one.

Jeff's web site is at: WWW.spiveysabertoothknife.com

Why?

Thread Information