Thread: Benchmade Griptilian: 440c vs. 154cm

Benchmade Griptilian: 440c vs. 154cm

ADVERTISEMENT
    Benchmade Griptilian: 440c vs. 154cm, old vs. new

I'm thinking about purchasing an older Benchmade Griptilian BM 551 OD (olive drab green handle with clip point blade). It's 440c. Does the 440c cut? Does it hold an edge?

Unfortunately BM only makes the 154cm with the olive drab handle in tanto.

There was another recent thread on the Griptilian 555 series. Benchmade supposedly does 440c very well, and there was even some talk of forum users looking for their 440c over the 154cm.

Either way, it's a very nice knife. I bought one as a gift, and ended up getting one for myself.
    Last edited by enderwiggin; 12-20-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Most likely you won't notice a difference.

Agreed - I have a couple of Mini-Grips with the 440C and have no complaints I edc a PE/Drop Point along with a Delica 4 and it more than serves me adequately in most things. I haven't seen any of the 154CM ones up here yet, but will probably get one when they show up just to try it out.

- gord

My friend has both 154CM (556) and 440C (557) versions of the Mini-Grip and he's actually able to get his 440C sharper than his 154CM. He doesn't notice a difference tho in use between the two in terms of edge retention and overall performance.

Just an FYI- Having the same dilemma, I thought for the price I'd get one of each and compare before the 440C was gone. Thankfully I ordered the one listed as 440C first- when it came, it was 154CM.

On the plus side, its my favorite EDC for workdays- very small in the pocket and a good sized blade for such a compact carry. The steel hasn't been an issue yet.

I have read about minor chips in the griptilian blade with a batch that was not heat treated. Is this an isolated case?

Where did you read about it? When?

I've never heard about it. But then I don't get out much.

I think that if it were a common problem, there would be multitudes of threads about it the way there have been with S30V chipping.

i believe the multitudes of threads about S30V chipping include the Doug Ritter Griptilian

I have a full size Grip in 440c, a 550. It has been with me on many adventures. Never any problems with the edge. Good retention, easy to sharpen. The only knife I like better is my full size Ritter grip (no chipping so far, I think it was more a sharpening issue) but the old one still sees a good deal of pocket time. Whatever blade steel you choose, Griptilians are excellent value and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by wyld View Post
    i believe the multitudes of threads about S30V chipping include the Doug Ritter Griptilian
    I forgot that there were some S30V grips. I was focused on the steels in the current question and assumed that one of those was chipping. If F117a was talking about an S30V blade, then chipping would not be an issue for his current question since he is looking at other steels.

Good catch Wyld.

Always heard good things about Benchmades 440c and HT

Just to add. Cabelas sells the Grip and Mini grip in D2. I have a D2 and a 154cm. Grip. The D2 is the way to go. Way out performs the 154cm.
    Ron Athay

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Athay View Post
    Just to add. Cabelas sells the Grip and Mini grip in D2. I have a D2 and a 154cm. Grip. The D2 is the way to go. Way out performs the 154cm.
    Ron Athay
    Can you give us some details?

Thread Information