Thread: Cold Steel Bushman Destruction Test VIDEO

Cold Steel Bushman Destruction Test VIDEO

ADVERTISEMENT
    Cold Steel Bushman Destruction test video (links at bottom)

Iíve had a Bushman lying around my shop for a year, using it for
    Various tasks. I decided to see how tough it really is. I think you will be shocked ? I was.

Fist I placed the tip in the vive and did a bend test. I was easily able to get the blade to bend about 20 Ė25 degrees. I did this 10 times. The knife didnít break and no tip failure.

I proceeded to hack into a 2x4, cutting through it. Then, I hammered the back of the blade into the wood. No blade failure at this point.

I moved onto the landscaping brick hacking away. The sparks begin to fly.
    I hacked for about 10 minutes in to this brick cutting a V notch. The edge never chipped Just dented. After this I was getting tired and the knife keep going.

I begin to hammer the back of the blade into the brick chipping away sections and splitting the brick. No blade failure, just denting very little actually considering the time evolved. I then hammered the tip in to the brick and the tip bent.

I moved on to an old metal chair. I hammered the tip strait. Then thrust it in to the chair denting the seat. The tip bent. I hammered the tip strait and continued. I moved my attention on to the chair hinge trying to cut through it. Finally there was a thumb size chip in the blade.

I continued pounding in to brick and wood with a 3-pound mallet. Still no major blade failure. I secured the tip back in the vise and bent the blade about 30 plus degrees many times. The blade still refused to break.

Back to more hammering and pounding. I hit the knife every with way top, side, back still the blade would not give.

I finally beat the back of the blade against the vise and the blade broke.

I moved on to the handle placing it in the vise and pounding on it breaking the last 2 inches of blade. No handle failure. I place the handle on a 2x4 and beat it with a 15 pound sledge. It had no affect on it. I was determined to destroy the handle but I was afraid to place it back in the vise and pound it in fear a breaking my vise.

I putt the handle on my 12-ton hydraulic press hoping to crush it. I pumped the hydraulic ram applying extreme force my best guess is about 10 tons. The press was under extreme tension. The handle looked crushed from the end however when I released the pressure it sprung back to shape. Pretty impressive considering I use the press to crush iron pipe with ease using only a small fraction of the force applied to the bushman handle.

I decided that I wasnít going to be able to destroy the handle without tearing
    up my shop equipment. I called the test finished.

Overall: The cold Steel Bushman is one tough and I mean tough knife.
    It took 54 minutes of brutality to break it. Unreal; considering it only cost me $16.95 new. Check out the tip it is still intact. Awesome!

Note I didnít perform any cutting test (paper, card board, ect.) as I was testing. I can sill cut cardboard sawing thru it, using the broken tip end section.It is not on video; so donít take my word for it.

On the Becker Bk9 and K-bar USMC I will performs cutting test throughout the videos.

The video is in 5 10-minute parts. Part 6 is about 4 minutes.

Hope you enjoy the video? This one was tough !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDL7PlEI_Y PART 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBSH8XXFwD4 PART 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sId10Ml0JDE PART 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK51RdigNTA PART 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJEE3-1laA PART 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUz7FhAU70 PART 6

Even better than the other one. Great job.

I have used a Bushman as a throwing knife for about two years now. I have snapped a Cold Steel True Flight Thrower in half, gone through a bunch of Hibbon throwers (mainly chewed up, not snapped) and a few cold steel spikes (they sink VERY DEEPLY under grass). At any rate, I've bent the tip of the Bushman a couple of times, and have simply pounded it back straight. I've also had to re-profile the edge one time. All in all, one of my favorites.

I wonder how their Carbon V compares to the SK-5, which is quite a bit softer (54RC SK-5 vs 59RC CV). Don't happen to have any of their Carbon V knives to test do you?

Honnestly, there is a thing they do in Cold Steel vids you should do too: wear some protecting gloves and something to protect your face when abusing knives

Quote Originally Posted by cybrok View Post
    Honnestly, there is a thing they do in Cold Steel vids you should do too: wear some protecting gloves and something to protect your face when abusing knives
    I was thinking the same thing, noss4 these videos are great, I just want you to stay alive and in one piece so we can all continue to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by ehhh View Post
    I wonder how their Carbon V compares to the SK-5, which is quite a bit softer (54RC SK-5 vs 59RC CV). Don't happen to have any of their Carbon V knives to test do you?
    I don't have any Cold Steel Carbon V knives but I will consider purchasing one
    and testing it.

I'm compiling a list based on the posts and will pick and chose the best candidates for the tests.

awesome............

Quote Originally Posted by psinide View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, noss4 these videos are great, I just want you to stay alive and in one piece so we can all continue to enjoy them.

Who will survive and what will be left of them ?

I'll do my best. Thanks

may I had to turn away every time he bent the tip in the vice, it was like a chalk board being scrached. AHHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by ehhh View Post
    SK5 is wayy tougher than CarbonV. Comparable to W-1 which is used for truck springs. I'm not suprised it held up so well.

Quote Originally Posted by greens View Post
    SK5 is wayy tougher than CarbonV. Comparable to W-1 which is used for truck springs. I'm not suprised it held up so well.
    Interesting to know, thanks.

That was brutal! Thanks for taking the time out to do these videos. Loved the folding chair that you casually locked in the vice and proceeded to mutilate.

I don't know if you're a sadist (for beating the everloving shit out of these knives) or a masochist (for enduring almost an hour of chopping, swinging, and stabbing), maybe a mix of both? I flinched when the knife finally gave up the ghost and the upper half of the blade went flying. Looking forward to more of your testing. You definitely don't screw around. Much respect.

Like others have said, please wear some protective gear. These videos are great.

I just saw the sledge on the handle in part 6. I can't stop laughing.

Thread Information