Thread: Oklahoma Knife Laws

Oklahoma Knife Laws

ADVERTISEMENT
    Does anyone out there understand Oklahoma knife laws?

The way it reads it could almost be interpreted that no knives are legal or all knives are legal (barring the usual dirk, dagger, stiletto, switchblade, gravity knife, etc.).

I live in OK and I don't see them worry much about knives unless they are automatics. If you are caught with an auto you go to jail from what I've been told here where I am. I've read the law but bowie knives, metal knuckles, sword canes, and other such things can get you nailed here also. The problem with some of the descriptive terms in the write up is typical because dirk knife is one of those hard to pin down terms usually. Ask five LEO or the Sherrif and a couple deputies separately what a dirk knife is and you will get different definitions from each one. Same with autos. Some consider the Kershaw assisted openers to be autos and others don't. Which is primarily why I don't carry one a lot. Get the wrong cop and off to jail you go to plead your case to a judge.

I don't see a legal limit listed for blade length here in Oklahoma and personally know many guys carrying folders with 5 and 6" blades but that doesn't mean you can be reckless about it. I think common sense is your best bet to safely carrying the folder you choose. It seems to me there is some benefit to statements in the law like, "except this section shall not prohibit: 1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes. The key words here are proper use. Whipping out your six inch blade at the mall is by most definitions not the proper use of your folder. Nor would it be the proper use of your folder to have one that big on you on the way home from the local pub after six or seven beers. So long as you are not stupid about it you should be safe.

STR
    STR's Blog

I make no apologies for being unable to maintain a monogamous relationship with a folding knife!

Thank you STR. That shed some light on the matter.

I'm going to Tulsa this summer, and I was planning on carrying a BM MiniGrip, a waved Spyderco, and/or a BM 160. It sounds like I should be safe with the BM MiniGrip or a similar folder that doesn't open too easily.

i don't know anyone that has gone to jail for carrying a knife in OK

they sell the AO Kershaws in Wal-Mart here, i can't imagine they are illegal to carry, but i could be wrong

i don't run into cops very often lately though, so i don't really have much experience on the matter

i'd imagine if you were staying out of trouble otherwise, the knives you mentioned shouldn't be a problem

The one exception is if you have a concealed carry permit. If so, they are real sticklers for anything having to do with any kind of weapon.

Thread Information