Thread: How hot do self cleaning ovens get?

How hot do self cleaning ovens get?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've been wondering how hot those self cleaning ovens get. My friend claims they will get up to 2000 F . If so it could be used for heat treating large blades that won't fit into my Paragon.

I do have my doubts that the ovens get quite that hot, otherwise the metal parts like oven racks would oxidize. Perhaps some of you know something about them.

i think 500 would be the upper limit. 2000, well, i just dont see that happening!

heath

Safe your money and get a Heat Treat Oven. You will be happy you did. The one in my shop will go up to 2300. Hope this was of help to you. Have a great day in the shop.

Barkes
    http://my.hsonline.net/wizard/knifeshop.htm

Most cleaning cycles go to 800-900F. Never seen one that got hot enough to turn the racks red-hot.

Talking

Somewhere around 800 F !![the temperature that real pizzas are cooked !!! ] 2000 F would cause more than a few problems like melting copper wires etc !!

800 to 1200 degrees depending on the oven. The big profesional ovens that have self clean hit the 1200 degree mark. Private ovens like kenmores etc hit between 800 and 900 degreens. Ive seen ones with windows in the front in pro line where the racks do turn a nice glowing orange color during the cycle. Considering you can heat treat in a oven at 450 f for 1 hour x 2 cycles id say a self clean cycle would really put the heat to it. Remember heat treating is not tempering infact it remove some temper from the blade. I always thought the HT and tempering were the same till i read the tutorial here
    http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/ Ive been useing the various tutorials posted here and been getting nice results. Hats off to those who wrote the various linked tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by novaflare View Post
    800 to 1200 degrees depending on the oven. The big profesional ovens that have self clean hit the 1200 degree mark. Private ovens like kenmores etc hit between 800 and 900 degreens. Ive seen ones with windows in the front in pro line where the racks do turn a nice glowing orange color during the cycle. Considering you can heat treat in a oven at 450 f for 1 hour x 2 cycles id say a self clean cycle would really put the heat to it. Remember heat treating is not tempering infact it remove some temper from the blade. I always thought the HT and tempering were the same till i read the tutorial here
    http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/ Ive been useing the various tutorials posted here and been getting nice results. Hats off to those who wrote the various linked tutorials.
    I heat treat around 1500 and Temper around 350 to 400

Barkes
    http://my.hsonline.net/wizard/knifeshop.htm

Novaflare - I thing you read that backward. Tempering removes some of the hardness from the blade after the quench (which is improperly called HT by many)

HT is the generic term for the entire hardening/tempering precess. It may consist of many steps. Normalizing/stress reduction,hardening /quenching,tempering, cryo. Each step makes a change to the structure of the steel.
    For simple steels (non-stainless):
    Stress reduction is done in the 1200-1400 range
    Quenching temperatures are in the 1350-1500 range
    Tempering is in the 350-550 range
    and Cryo is in the -100 to -300 range

A home oven gets ,maybe ,800 during self clean. It is an uncontrolled heating cycle and could not be relied on.
    Home ovens are fine for tempering, as the temperatures hold fairly steady in the 350-500 range on a good oven (and the exact tempering temperature is not as critical as the quenching temp. You should use a good pyrometer or oven thermometer in the oven when tempering,though, since ovens can vary as much as 50 degrees during a heat cycle.

Stacy
    Last edited by bladsmth; 02-20-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Quote Originally Posted by bladsmth View Post
    Novaflare - I thing you read that backward. Tempering removes some of the hardness from the blade after the quench (which is improperly called HT by many)

HT is the generic term for the entire hardening/tempering precess. It may consist of many steps. Normalizing/stress reduction,hardening /quenching,tempering, cryo. Each step makes a change to the structure of the steel.
    For simple steels (non-stainless):
    Stress reduction is done in the 1200-1400 range
    Quenching temperatures are in the 1350-1500 range
    Tempering is in the 350-550 range
    and Cryo is in the -100 to -300 range

A home over gets ,maybe ,800 during self clean. It is an uncontrolled heating cycle and could not be relied on.
    Home ovens are fine for tempering, as the temperatures hold fairly steady in the 350-500 range on a good oven (and the exact tempering temperature is not as critical as the quenching temp. You should use a good pyrometer or oven thermometer in the oven when tempering,though, since ovens can vary as much as 50 degrees during a heat cycle.

Stacy
    Good point, Stacy. I use my new oven for tempering and found that it swings about 25-30 degrees from the time the coils kick on til they shut off.

i told you i was might be wrong! dangit, that makes twice! =)

Thread Information