Thread: LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

My Schrade LB7

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello,
    I'm new here but I have a Schrade LB7 3 pin

Q50034 3 pins
    SCHRADE +
    U.S.A. LB7

Is that good? I'm not sure what the numbers signify? Thanks!

If you've got a Schrade+ USA LB7, you've got a good knife. Regardless of whether it has a serial number or not. If you are asking if that serial number adds value to the knife, I would have to offer the opinion of "NO", since so many LB7s were made. But like I said, you have a good knife.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT63 View Post
    If you've got a Schrade+ USA LB7, you've got a good knife. Regardless of whether it has a serial number or not. If you are asking if that serial number adds value to the knife, I would have to offer the opinion of "NO", since so many LB7s were made. But like I said, you have a good knife.
    Thank you for the info. May I ask, what is the difference between a Schrade LB7 and a Schrade Uncle Henry LB7? Do they still make either?

Best regards,
    K

Other than the tang stamp, there really isn't a difference between them. It was pretty much just a change Schrade made. I think it was the later models that had the "Uncle Henry" tang stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT63 View Post
    Other than the tang stamp, there really isn't a difference between them. It was pretty much just a change Schrade made. I think it was the later models that had the "Uncle Henry" tang stamp.
    Good to know, I appreciate it!

You can still get the LB7 but it will be China made if you buy new. The only Uncle Henry I know of that is not being reproduced is the LB8. Also the signature series Uncle Henry knives are later models from what I read. The earlier models just have SCHRADE + stamped on the tang.

This knife was my Dad's, he carried it every day to work. My Stepmom gave it to me for my 30th birthday a few weeks ago.

Serial number is U7172. Any ideas as to how old it is?

-Jim

That is a beauty of a knife there Jim! I'm sure somebody will be able to help you date it. Good luck!

Serial number is U7172. Any ideas as to how old it is?
    Late eighties is a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedger View Post
    You can still get the LB7 but it will be China made if you buy new. The only Uncle Henry I know of that is not being reproduced is the LB8. Also the signature series Uncle Henry knives are later models from what I read. The earlier models just have SCHRADE + stamped on the tang.
    There are still some new old stock Imperial Schrade U.S.A. LB-7s out there if you look.

Quote Originally Posted by Codger_64 View Post
    So far, this is how the numbering system is shaking out:

First serial numbers were four place digits. I have 0326, so there is a 0001 out there, possibly a 0000, and a 9999.

Serials up to 17693 were produced in 1977.

Serial numbers 17694 - 334585 were produced in 1978 when 316,892 LB7's were made.

Serial numbers 334586 - 785250 were produced in 1979 when 450,665 LB7's were made.

Highest all numeric would be six places, 999999. I have recorded serial number 914569. Thus the first million knives had no alphas. This point was reached some time in 1980. A total of 1,106,906 LB7's had been produced by the end of that year.

When the single alphas were added, the serials still kept to six places max, so only 99,999 knives were made of each alpha. Lowest alpha recorded so far is A25594.

When the rotation went to double alphas, the serials went to seven places. I've recorded BB56630 as the highest double alpha. Some time after this, the serialization ended.

This is what I have so far.
    Hey Codger,
    Do you know the approximate dates of when the alpha and double alpha were added?

Thank you

The first alpha prefixes were added circa 1980 (based upon factory production records of knives shipped). But the further we move from the first introduction, the greater the margin for error in using the production figures alone to extrapolate the serial series. Remember, there were always rejects and also serialed knives used for SFOs which were not counted in the number of LB-7 production shipped at the end of each year.

Due to the fact that a lot of knives get separated from their original packaging and resold in mis-matched packaging (by both dealers and collectors), using logos, trademarks and copyright dates associated with those isn't 100% certain either without a huge statistical sampling.

Sometimes the best we can do is estimate within a decade or more.

The first alpha prefixes were added circa 1980 (based upon factory production records of knives shipped). But the further we move from the first introduction, the greater the margin for error in using the production figures alone to extrapolate the serial series. Remember, there were always rejects and also serialed knives used for SFOs which were not counted in the number of LB-7 production shipped at the end of each year.

Due to the fact that a lot of knives get separated from their original packaging and resold in mis-matched packaging (by both dealers and collectors), using logos, trademarks and copyright dates associated with those isn't 100% certain either without a huge statistical sampling.

Sometimes the best we can do is estimate within a decade or more.
    What about for the double alphas?
    Appreciate it!

You're asking for a guess?

Some time between the mid 1980's through the early 1990's. They didn't get very far into the double alphas before they gave up on using serials on them altogether. One of my NIB LB-7s with no serial came with papers copyrighted in 1991, so was made after 1990 but before 1995 since the Sharp Idea box has no SCHRADE TOUGH logo. That one example is not sufficient (for reasons stated above) to be called proof of when the serializing ended. Maybe in the future someone like Eric will locate a factory production change order which will confirm the date serials were ended. Or better yet, the files of warranty registration cards which would be serialized and dated.

Some time between the mid 1980's through the early 1990's. They didn't get very far into the double alphas before they gave up on using serials on them altogether. One of my NIB LB-7s with no serial came with papers copyrighted in 1991, so was made after 1990 but before 1995 since the Sharp Idea box has no SCHRADE TOUGH logo. That one example is not sufficient (for reasons stated above) to be called proof of when the serializing ended. Maybe in the future someone like Eric will locate a factory production change order which will confirm the date serials were ended. Or better yet, the files of warranty registration cards which would be serialized and dated.
    Thanks!

i read somewhere and i can't remember where that BBXXXX was the last of the alpha serial numbers after that they quit putting them on the knives. also to confuse things replacement knives in the 80's didn't have serial numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by delmas2nd View Post
    i read somewhere and i can't remember where that BBXXXX was the last of the alpha serial numbers after that they quit putting them on the knives. also to confuse things replacement knives in the 80's didn't have serial numbers.
    And to muddy the waters further still... Schrade's return policy with dealers (particularly large accounts like Sears and Walmart) led to returns being cleaned, adjusted, repackaged and placed in the then-current packaging for return to the market. How these were accounted for in the year end production figures is anyone's guess.

As to the highest serial used before being discontinued, the highest I have seen personally was Ser# BB56630 as noted previously in this thread. This isn't definative though. Higher numbers may exist that I have not seen.

Michael

And to muddy the waters further still... Schrade's return policy with dealers (particularly large accounts like Sears and Walmart) led to returns being cleaned, adjusted, repackaged and placed in the then-current packaging for return to the market. How these were accounted for in the year end production figures is anyone's guess.

As to the highest serial used before being discontinued, the highest I have seen personally was Ser# BB56630 as noted previously in this thread. This isn't definative though. Higher numbers may exist that I have not seen.

Michael
    The whole reason I asked is because there is one on eBay now being advertised as:
    # SERIAL # ON TOP BOLSTERS "AA73269"
    # COMPLETE WITH ORIGINAL SHEATH
    # QUALITY KNIFE WITH THE LINER LOCK DESIGN
    # LENGTH 5 " CLOSED
    # MFG 1970- EARLY 80s

and it just seemed off to me.

It was made before the UH signature tang marking and is a three pin (cover pins). No original packaging is shown or mentioned in the auction. By it's serial, we may well deduce that it was made after the 1970's, but before the serials were discontinued.

Read the knife. Ignore the seller's banter. Sellers may or may not know how to date their knives. They may also be honest in their assessment or not. The seller may not know (or trust) the information provided here.

As far as I am aware, the information we have posted here is the most comprehensive examination of the Schrade LB-7 pattern available anywhere. But still, use it at your own risk. It is your collection, your money, your decision.

in looking at this thread, yes i looked at all the entries, the change from 4 pin to 3 pin took place somewhere between Lxxxxx and Nxxxxx. so if anyone has a knife with an M on it look to see if it has a 4 pin or 3 pin construction.

I just pick this one up at a local knife & gun show:

Ser# 3583
    3 pins
    Uncle Henry Staglon
    SCHRADE + USA
    LB7
    Tan sheath, no box Near mint

Does anyone have any information? It's the first one I've seen with the Staglon handles.
    Jerry

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information