Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please help me choose a survival knife: ka-bar vs gerber LMFII Asek vs Cold Steel SRK

please help me choose a survival knife: ka-bar vs gerber LMFII Asek vs Cold Steel SRK

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm making a survival kit / go bag and I need a solid survival knife.
    But I don't know much about knives, which is why I decided to come to the experts.

This wouldn't be added to a collection to be one of many, it would just be this and a multi-tool, so I need to choose the best one.

Here are some of the contenders:

Full-size Black KA-BAR, Serrated Edge

Gerber LMF II ASEK Knife

Cold Steel SRK® (Survival Rescue Knife)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I had a Gerber LMF some years ago. If the new model is as quality as the old, you won't be disappointed. Don't know enough about the other 2 to even give an opinion.

Survival from what ...???
    Did you do any searches ... some research on these knives .... try it...read about them....

Welcome to Blade Forums!

Of the three blades you have listed, the only one that is shaped like a survival knife is the SRK. And even it is a bit large for my taste. The others are fighting knives. Not the same thing.

You might try reading up over on the survival forum. Click on the blue Training link at the top of this page. Then select the Wilderness & Survifal Skills forum.

Kabars are good knives.
    I bought my brother the SRK, he likes it.
    But looking at the gerber, I woud have to say go with the gerber. Its got quite a bit of utility included. I was surprised to see the sharpener in the sheath! Though if the gerber was made in china i wouldnt buy it.

I have all three of those knives, I wouldn't get the SRK unless it was in Carbon V.

I kind of like the Gerber a bit more myself.

One more vote for the Gerber LMF II. It's a phenominal blade! For an all around survival knife, it's a hands-down favorite of mine over the other two. The sheath is top-notch and the built in sharpener is a great feature. Add that multi-tool of yours and you'll be set.

ka bar gets my vote,,,

Out of those three, the Ka-bar gets my vote.

Welcome to BF!!

I would take the KA-BAR .

Out of those three I'd get the Ka-bar. I'd get the plain edge one, though. The good old Ka-Bar is decent value for the money. The Cold Steel SRK is overpriced in my view.

However, if you can accept other options, there are lots of knives that are much better for survival (wilderness, for example) use than those three. You can search the forums for examples. I myself prefer a Fällkniven F1 or A1 for a survival & general use knife.

Ka-bar definately.

The RTAK fits your criterion and many of the guys in the wilderness survival forum put this in their survival kit. Price wise this is by far the best of the bunch.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=7578

If you have any questions about what to put in your survival kit come over to Wilderness forums. That is the main topic of conversation there.

i'm a 13 year old boy and have had the KABAR about a year its a tough knife and the one i would get i dug two holes with it and the finish is worn away on the tip but o well i've thrown it into trees and bent the guards back double then rebent them back it is tough

Kabar first CS SRK second Gerber last is the way I would go.

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy View Post
    i'm a 13 year old boy and have had the KABAR about a year its a tough knife and the one i would get i dug two holes with it and the finish is worn away on the tip but o well i've thrown it into trees and bent the guards back double then rebent them back it is tough
    That explains a lot.And that is sad. Perhaps you would consider using proper puncuation, and capitization. It would make for sentences that were actually readable!!

Forget throwing anything into trees ... get back in school, and learn how to communicate. From the looks of it ... perhaps a special ed class .....

I know how to comunicate. I also have no problem with social ed. Maybe some anger mangement problems though. Throwing the knife into trees was on the weekends. My school is curently out for the summer. By the way knifecollecter you are not supposed to start sentences with and. There should also be two spaces between the begining and the end of sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnifeCollector View Post
    That explains a lot.And that is sad. Perhaps you would consider using proper puncuation, and capitization. It would make for sentences that were actually readable!!
    Uncalled for...

Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    Welcome to Blade Forums!

Of the three blades you have listed, the only one that is shaped like a survival knife is the SRK. And even it is a bit large for my taste. The others are fighting knives. Not the same thing.

You might try reading up over on the survival forum. Click on the blue Training link at the top of this page. Then select the Wilderness & Survifal Skills forum.
    The LMF is NOT a fighting knife. It's designed by a soldier as an edged tool for soldiers.

It will not excel in rural environment where working on wood is the primary use if thats what is meant by survival. I'd go with a plain edge knife myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information