Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Composite Blade Intro

ADVERTISEMENT
    Thomas,

Quick question. Don't mean to disturb your work.

Is the "cut line" where the two steels merge identically shaped for all items, or does it differ across instances?

That is... is the "squiggly" in the KO version always going to look exactly the same, or is each parent/child (or if you prefer host/edge?) interface cut from a very long slab?

Thanks.

-j

Vassili, like Thomas said we are currently conducting tests on the copper. I can't imagine that it will be much of an issue. Copper oxidization is a good thing when you are talking about corrosion. The patina that is formed (a thin shell of copper rust) will actually protect the rest of the copper.

The Statue of Liberty has been standing out in the elements since 1886 and has only lost .005" to its exterior according to this site : http://www.professionalroofing.net/a....aspx?A_ID=526

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Galyean View Post
    Vassili, like Thomas said we are currently conducting tests on the copper. I can't imagine that it will be much of an issue. Copper oxidization is a good thing when you are talking about corrosion. The patina that is formed (a thin shell of copper rust) will actually protect the rest of the copper.

The Statue of Liberty has been standing out in the elements since 1886 and has only lost .005" to its exterior according to this site : http://www.professionalroofing.net/a....aspx?A_ID=526

Tim you are to much of an engineer for your own good you know that? Keep it up! Kershaw benifits, we benifit

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    Hi all,

I thought I would expand a bit on the new composite blade (patent pending) that we put into the new Tyrade.

Basically what we are doing is taking two different steels and welding them together, thus making up the composite blade. Our future thought is to be able to offer up a blade that has a performance edge (CPM-D2, ZDP-189, etc...), and marry it up with economical, high machineability steel (13C26, 410...). Obviously your premium steel goes much further with this technology, and it will hopefully allow us to offset the performance vs. price issue that keeps many from ever using a higher end piece of steel. It should also play towards those steel snobs as well, plus it looks pretty cool.

Of course these steels need to be somewhat compatible when it comes to HT, as they are processed at the same time. Current strength testing is under way, but I don't feel is an issue.

As for the welding, it can be done using either copper, nickel, or gold. We are testing different steel combinations as well as the actual ways that they can be affixed. You can see from the images Tif posted, the different ways we have done up some blades to date. The Leek is a 13C26/ZDP-189 blade, the other 2 are 154CM/CPM-D2 combo's. Ken's custom Tyrade is a 154CM/S30V arrangement. BTW, that is an image of Tim's new MOAB proto.

The looks and combinations with these composite blades have seemingly unlimited possibilities and we can't wait to get into them.

We are pretty early in playing around with this technology, but feel it has potential to find a permanent place around here

If there are no proprietary issues, you might (eventually) share your experiences with the three welding materials you've mentioned. I would predict that gold would prove superior, but there are a LOT of factors to be considered. It will also be interesting to see if you can develop an inexpensive but effective way to treat the surfaces to be welded.

Now "snob" brought forth this definition; "Someone who claims to be of higher intelligence than others, understands the finer things in life". Joe, would you buy a folder with 420J2, or are you smarter than that?
    Thomas, Steel Junky was coined by Sal Glessar re: his program of making mules of steels that aren't typically used in production knives due to cost, heat treat difficulties. It gives us knifeknuts with a penchant for trying new, and difficult to get steels an affordable way to do it. The first is 52100, second is CPM M4, voting for the next ones. I'm very surprised you haven't heard the term yet. BTW, I don't look down on anybody and their choice of knives or steels. Joe

Whoa Tim, now that's a knife you made there! Love at first sight! Congratulations and thanks for spoiling us with all those goodies and eye candy.
    I love your mini JYD, BTW. I wouldn't mind at all if Kershaw would consider putting into production the little one (G-10 for me, please)

Yea I have heard that term, and have followed the Mule Team thead both here and on the Spydie forum. Cool idea, but seems like a real PIA for them. You know I bet I have used steel junky in a thread before, ah well, I'll try to refrain from the snob term in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    BTW, I don't look down on anybody and their choice of knives or steels. Joe
    Well I do. http://www.yjkk.com/en_product.asp?subcategoryID=6 Nice that they even use brand names now.

Yea I have heard that term, and have followed the Mule Team thead both here and on the Spydie forum. Cool idea, but seems like a real PIA for them. You know I bet I have used steel junky in a thread before, ah well, I'll try to refrain from the snob term in the future.

Well I do. http://www.yjkk.com/en_product.asp?subcategoryID=6 Nice that they even use brand names now.
    I remember you saying that you use SpecBump as an mule way before all this started. You told that SpecBump will have different LE with different steel... So Spyderco kind of doing this now with Military. Why did you change you mind about SpecBump? There are only 3 steel awailable on SB - CPM154, CPM S30V and Sandvic 13C26...

Thanks, Vassili.

Vassili, I think we had intentions to do a "gang" (hopefully this word is not offensive ) of Bumps, but other patterns kept seemingly leap frogging it. We don't have any other Bump variations on deck at the moment. Maybe I'll bring it up again.

Please do bring it up again! I think we are about due for another bump variation. As long as we are in the composite blade thread, how about a composite blade? Something that will really appeal the the snobs, err...junkies, still doesn't sound right, how about alloy aficionados (at least it has positive connotations, even if it sounds ridiculous). Maybe steel connoisseur?
    Last edited by kneedeep; 06-14-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added connoisseur.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
    [...] alloy aficionados [...]
    Cute. I like it.

Hey! The MOAB looks like what one of the TRANSFORMERS would use ;-p

Ha ha! It was a Buck 110 before it transformed!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Galyean View Post
    Ha ha! It was a Buck 110 before it transformed!!
    Honestly, it doesn't look like one of the good guys! It's lines look like a the wing structure of a stealth bomber. . . it's got DECEPTICON written all over it!

Vassili, I think we had intentions to do a "gang" (hopefully this word is not offensive ) of Bumps, but other patterns kept seemingly leap frogging it. We don't have any other Bump variations on deck at the moment. Maybe I'll bring it up again.
    Please!
    SB ZDP189,
    SB SG2,
    SB CPM D2

What about SRS15? SB SRS15
    SB YXR7
    SB ZDP247
    SB M4
    SB Bulat

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Tim, is it MOAB blade is not just laminated but actually has two differen pieces ebeded for frond and end parts?

Vassili,

The MOAB blade is a Composite blade, so yes the two pieces are different parts. Laminated would be more like a sandwich.

You mean like these ZDP/ATS-34 laminate beauties!

You mean like these ZDP/ATS-34 laminate beauties!
    Yes!

Are you teasing us again with your own SpecBump? Shame on you!

Thanks, Vassili.

Cruel, just plain cruel.

But yes, I'd say they woud do the trick.

I do like the black scales a bit more texture and pattern wise (and the old linear machining). I can't say that I like the starburst 3-D machined pattern as much.

I like to have colorful handles orange, yellow, red, green - but bright and saturated. I think G10 can be very colorful.

Thanks, Vassili.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information