Thread: Carrying a knife "Scout Style"

Question Carrying a knife "Scout Style"

ADVERTISEMENT
    That's it,
    What do you think about carrying a fixed blade "Scout Style" (in the small of the back).
    Aside of looking cool is there any advantage or is just silly?

BETO
    ====================
    Sorry for my english

It's not a bad idea, but you really need to find a decent knife and sheath combo as most can be quite bulky. I have a Nealy Aikuchi (Boker makes a decent copy) with Nealy's excellent carry system. I have carried this in the SOB in the past with no issues even when driving/sitting. It's a very flat and conclealable package. For outdoors use, it all depends...if you're wearing a backpack or anything with a waist belt, it would be difficult to access.

ROCK6

If you mean horizontally it has one great principle advantage in that you can actually sit down without adjusting your knife, whether on a log/the ground or in a vehicle. This pertains mostly to larger knives, of course. It also doesn't get hung up as much on brush you're moving through. You want to make sure you have a good retention system, but that's not difficult. I developed my lanyard and lynch pin system years ago and it's never failed yet.

The right package can be carried very easily in SOB. I've done this with guns and knives and it's certainly a viable carry option.

The disadvantage is that in the most common carry config (horizontal), you limit yourself to use with one hand only. If that hand is disabled or "busy", your knife is no use to you because you can't get to it.

Lately I've preferred an IWB front carry at 10:00 or 2:00. This lets me use either hand to access my knife. Since I always wear my shirts out and fairly loose rather than in and fitted, my waistband (and whatever is in it) is always covered anyway.
    Regards, Dale
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers 1879-1935
    ISEK #12

One of the main advantages that I have found to horizontal carry across the small of the back is that the knife isn't bouncing around and whacking you in the leg while you're walking or hanging up on brush or digging into your stomach when you bend over. Additionally, I have heard of people being seriously injured in falls where they are carrying a knife vertically on the front of their belt and the force of the fall causes the knife to cut through the sheath.

As has been noted, this position doesn't work well if you are carrying a backpack.

I have a Benchmade Resistor in a Normark sheath that I carry upside-down on my side angled back about 30° to facilitate easy draw while either standing or sitting. Like the scout carry it is not going to rub/dig into your stomach, but you can access it easier with the other hand if necessary. I suppose if I were to carry a bear pistol, I would change to knife to my weak side angled forward 30° for an easy cross-draw or an easy reverse grip draw with my weak hand.

Thank's for the info guys!

BETO
    ====================
    Sorry for my english

I've never heard it called scout style but I have always liked carrying stuff this way, not just knives. A small book, a flask (ahem) all sorts of things can be carried there. A big plus I find is that people rarely think to have anything there, when I pull it out often it's like magic to people, I just reach back and whoa where did that come from. You need to be sure it's secure, and obviously long items won't work on a vertical. I have noticed bending over can be just as bad as sitting down if not more so insofar as things "printing" against clothing or even worse popping out.

I would have figured LEO's would be wise to this and search there but I have been frisked a few times and they never felt there.

jag-engr's upside-down angled carry is my all-time favorite carry. If you try it, I think you'll find it to be comfortable and very convenient.

SOB carry to me is very uncomfortable if sitting on anything with a back, is very hard to re-sheath (and can be hard to access, depending). I have also heard many stories (mainly on a gun forum) of serious injuries resulting from falls while carrying SOB- injury or not, it sure would hurt!

my $.02

I would think you being in Costa Rica you, like me find yourself in shorts most of the year. That being said I don't typically use a belt; I like neck carry, and that is just one of the reasons. You many want to try a neck knife. Good luck, Chris

Depending on how bulky the knife (or pistol) is, you do not want to fall on your back. If you are doing things where falling on your back is a significant possibility, you probly don't want to carry s.o.b.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Bear View Post
    I would think you being in Costa Rica you, like me find yourself in shorts most of the year. That being said I don't typically use a belt; I like neck carry, and that is just one of the reasons. You many want to try a neck knife. Good luck, Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by spinynorman View Post
    Depending on how bulky the knife (or pistol) is, you do not want to fall on your back. If you are doing things where falling on your back is a significant possibility, you probly don't want to carry s.o.b.
    Very interesting points!

I want to carry a small-medium fixed blade SOB for hiking and camping. I will use a belt, and I probably will fall on my back too!

I'm realizing that trying it is the only way of see if it's worth

BETO
    ====================
    Sorry for my english

I recently picked up a CRKT Sting and I've found that it rides great in a scout carry position. I've also used carried a First Strike in this position with no problems.

Personally, I think it's a great and comfortable manner to carry a medium fixed blade, but there is definitely a risk of injury should you fall on your knife.

Hope this helps.

Phry

Quote Originally Posted by Phry View Post
    ... there is definitely a risk of injury should you fall on your knife.
    Indeed, and the risk is very serious. This topic has come up before on BFC, and as always I don't feel it can be overemphasized that small-of-the-back carry should always be avoided.

I think there are two major downsides, assuming you have SD in mind.

1. If you get jumped from behind you have made access to your own knife easy for the guy on top of you and very difficult for yourself.

2. When you draw it, you sweep your own body with the point-- same goes for a handgun w/the muzzle.

imho. I not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by jag-engr View Post
    Additionally, I have heard of people being seriously injured in falls where they are carrying a knife vertically on the front of their belt and the force of the fall causes the knife to cut through the sheath.

I have an impressive scar on my thigh from this exact accident, happened quite a few years ago when I was very young/stupid.

I've also heard of people with a gun in the small of their back falling and breaking their spine from the perfect fulcrum digging into their back. A knife is much flatter than a gun though.

I think carrying anything S.O.B. is a very bad idea!! You can seriously hurt your back if you fall.

One more drawback to SOB carry is that you are limited to one hand access.Personally, I like to be able to draw my blade with either hand.

Thread Information