Thread: Mora Triflex blades

Mora Triflex blades

ADVERTISEMENT
    Has anyone had any experience with the Mora Triflex knives? I am thinking of getting a few for test purposes and I was wondering if there is any real advantage over the standard carbon blades. Also how much of the blade is tempered or how far from the edge? Thanks.

I've got a couple. They're decent. I've had Sandvik 12C27 hold and edge better and resharpen just the exact same.

I've looked at mine many times, and never been able to see a temper line, so I couldnt' tell ya' 'bout that.

I've never broken one, but that's not saying much...it's been years since I've broken anything.

I've heard alot of good about them, but so far I haven't seen much to inspire me to carry it any more than my stainless models.

It's 0.5mm thicker than the stainless models, that might be one reason to go for one.

I am also not sure if Triflex is differentially tempered at all. The Mora site simply calls it "somewhere between carbon and laminated", which would lead one to believe that it's still a laminated blade. I haven't seen any other site than Ragnar's say that it's differentially tempered.

When I researched it it is supposed to be differently tempered and not laminated.

http://www.missouritrading.com/knives.htm model k121

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html #780

I just got one, Frost 780, although I have yet to give it any kind of workout. I do not see any lamination lines on mine. I like the extra thickness compared to my 760. I'm a sucker for carbon so I think I am going to like this one.
    "I'll get there when I get there."
    Rat Pack #130

Quote Originally Posted by ashtxsniper View Post
    When I researched it it is supposed to be differently tempered and not laminated.

http://www.missouritrading.com/knives.htm model k121

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html #780
    You'd think Missouri Trading Co could take a few pics for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by shecky View Post
    You'd think Missouri Trading Co could take a few pics for themselves.
    They have even lifted the knife descriptions, totally unscrupulous.
    Rat Pack #130

I've had two Mora Triflex Craftsmen. I like them a lot. It'd probably take more abuse than I've yet dished out to genuinely trash them (paging Noss4 -- maybe he could see what it takes to destroy a couple of each model of Mora knife)--but here are my observations about the steel. It seems strong enough--I've batonned the blade through inch-or-two-thick hardwood, with the only damage being that an invisibly-small wire-edge-like bit at the very edge apparently rolled and came off. I couldn't see it except upon extremely close, "hold-it-up-to-the-light-and-squint-at-it-from-a-couple-of-inches-away" examination--just a little area of the blade that was suddenly dull and almost microscopically lower than the ridge of the edge, whereas the rest was still hair-popping sharp. Here is what I think probably happened: people with a lot of Mora experience maintain that the polishing of the blade in the factory softens a little bit of the very outside of the blade, and this will include the extreme edge on a very new knife. To get to the truly hard part, they say, one must sharpen enough to get through the polishing-softened part, and one will suddenly find the steel is a lot harder. I think what happened to mine was that the (pretty abusive) batoning wound up deforming the very edge of the knife, so that the wire-edge-like bit broke off. I sharpened it out right away, and had no further problems--and, I'll say, I still have high confidence in the knife.

The other info I have about the steel is that I tried darkening it by leaving it in vinegar for several hours or overnight, and observed that while the beveled part darkened, the rest of the blade (toward the spine) remained lighter-colored. I think this might be consistent with a differential temper with the hard part coinciding with the beveled part of the blade.

I like these a lot; gave one to my dad for a survival kit when he was headed to Central America on a medical mission; got another immediately because I think they are a candidate for best Mora for everyday-wilderness-carry. The scabbard, for instance, is much thinner than other Mora scabbards (e.g., Clipper, Mora 2000)--so if you're making, say, a neck rig with other gear attached to the scabbard, it'll keep the overall kit more thin and manageable. Second, the lanyard hole on the Craftsman lines up almost exactly with a widening in the belt-slot for the scabbard, so that if you like you can take a mini-carabiner, loop it through both the knife's lanyard hole and the widened part of the belt-slot for the scabbard, and effectively lock the knife into the scabbard so that it cannot come out if you roll down a hill, fall out of a tree, etc. (You can also remove the carabiner at will for quicker access.) Third, the handle is tough plastic, so any concerns about wood getting weakened by periodic wetting and drying--or drying out if the knife is part of a vehicle kit and subjected to constant hundred-degree fluxes in temperature, are non-issues. (I live in the desert; air temperature in the shade has sometimes reached 120 Fahrenheit, and in a car parked in the sun it can easily get to 150 or so, I think--and in the winter you can predict sub-freezing temperatures, as well--so any equipment I'm leaving in my car has to be able to put up with major changes on an ongoing basis.) My main issues with the handle: it's on the fat side, so the other people in my family (who are quite small) may find it less comfortable to use than, say, a traditional Mora or a Clipper. It also comes dangerously smooth and slippery. After a very little trial and error, I have discovered that taking coarse sandpaper to that slick handle very quickly roughens it up to the point where it's as grippy as a rubberized handle material like Kraton, even under soapy water--so my earlier concerns about cleaning fish with it went away.

Finally, it's a heck of a deal for 11 bucks.

Nice knife for the money. I agree that edge-holding difference is negligible betw the triflex and other carbons vs. stainless. But it's tougher so the edge should hold up a little better during more stressful chores, e.g., batonning harder woods. But the 12c27 stainless is pretty tough, too, and for food prep the stainless would be better.

The Frosts Moras have a stubby half-tang while the Erikssons have a slightly narrower 3/4 tang. In practice I can't tell the difference but some folks don't feel as 'secure' with the half tang.

I most likely wont be using these for anything other than around the house and one will get abused severely to see what it can take. I have much better blades that will accompany me into the field. I ordered three so if i take on out into BFE then it will be part of a group of several other extreme use blades.

Quote Originally Posted by IUKE12 View Post
    I just got one, Frost 780, although I have yet to give it any kind of workout. I do not see any lamination lines on mine. I like the extra thickness compared to my 760. I'm a sucker for carbon so I think I am going to like this one.
    Did you make the sheath?Looks good!

lotoblades-yes, I made the sheath. Thanks for your comments.
    ashtxsniper-hope you share the abuse results with us, sounds interesting.
    Rat Pack #130

Well I figured after all the Mora threads it was time to test one hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtxsniper View Post
    Well I figured after all the Mora threads it was time to test one hard.
    Rest assured, Moras have been tested, very hard, for decades, here in Scandinavia. Everybody has a couple of them. Construction workers use them for whatever: prying stuff, hacking at nails, cleaning dried paint and stuff off tools and of course occasionally cutting something. People use them for skinning game, opening cardboard boxes and what not. It's almost impossible to find knives that are any cheaper than basic Moras here in Scandinavia - your basic Clipper is anything between 2 to 5 euros, so it's practically free. They're cheap, realistic and practical user and beater knives. People do stuff with them that they'd never do with more expensive blades, because they can just throw them away at will and get a new one when they feel like it. They won't perform like a Busse or other "bombproof" knives, but they do work, and can sometimes take a surprising amount of abuse. But they're certainly not indestructible.

Thats what I hope my results tell me.

Thread Information