Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you REALLY carry every day?

ADVERTISEMENT
    .32 Colt? Is it a flat one or a round one!?!?

Pretty simple for me. I carry a SAK, small Seb and an ARC AAA light, in addition to my keys. Sometimes, I switch the SAK for a Prybaby. The only thing really on me all the time is my Seb. Light and simple.

Stainless six shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Revolvergeek View Post
    .32 Colt? Is it a flat one or a round one!?!?

I also have a .32 Ivor Johnson with pearl handles. Would like them on the Colt but afraid I'd ruin 100 yo mother of-pearl

UNcle Alan

WOW Guys,
    Honestly I am inpressed! I'd prefer if you are carrying knives that they be handmade/custom made....but I'm obviously biased that way....OK so I like, for the money, Case folders.....don't tell anyone I said that, please.....

I am really "dull" in comparison...now, I am a knifemaker by choice, so I am at home, or at home in my shop 98% of the time...So ...watch, flip-flops, cotton gym shorts, polo style shirt with the Knifemakers' Guild logo on it, wedding band. There are sharp edged tools all over my shop, in the garage...and in the house where the mill and some drill presses are located... (smile-my wife is more tolerent of me than I would like to admit).
    At my computer and a few other locations, I can reach a SW model 29 or 649 or something else without getting up....
    I have a lifetime CCW license but seldom carry....my wife can outdrive many of the potential perps. we might, but haven't, run into in our town....and she doesn't care for weapons....
    Also keep a 3 cell maglite within reach near my computer, and bed....mostly in the event of a power concern.

But, if our best friend,who's husband went to Heaven last December, doesn't answer her phone or call when she is committed to do....we will be there...my wife driving here 325,
    me with appropriate keys and at least two 357's loaded with 38 Spl. FMJ's....one in each hand......and she doesn't care for weapons either....it is a "disease" that alot of professional educators seem to have......but she didn't complain the last time we got there....so prepared......

But I am still quite impressed with the quantity of things some of y'all carry....
    Heck I'd be slim from carrying the weight of all those items!....but am not.....
    Heck, I don't even go from shorts to sweats until the "dip buckets" in my shop start to have a layer of ice on them........smile, again, please...but true..

my true EDC is currently a 3AA LED light, keys with SAK classic, wallet with p38 can opener, the CRKT My Tighe that i made wenge scales for, butane lighter (nope, not a smoker),watch, and my cell phone.
    occasionally theres an extra folder on my belt or something, sometiems a fixed blade somewhere, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle Alan View Post
    Was chatting with a gun dealer.....suggested I carry what he did & produced this Mag that he said hit like a.38 .

Uncle Alan
    Not to besmirch your choice, but a .22 mag from a 1" or 1 5/8th's" barrel launching a 40 grain bullet (max) isn't even close to a .38. Even when said .38 is fired from a 2" barrel launching a 125 to 158 grain bullet.

If your gun dealer really thinks that it does, then I'd never ask him anything serious about guns again !

I acknowledge that any gun with you is better than any gun not. But that does not mean any gun will do the job.

Too many people think that "a gun is a gun is a gun...." meaning that a .22 is just "as good" as a .45. It's not. altho the mouse gun beats a harsh word....most of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolvergeek View Post
    My Keltec P32 broke in my pocket, in a holster, just sitting there. The mainspring just snapped.
    TOTALLY unacceptable ! Mine have worked fine with anything I've tried, but I certainly understand your refusal to carry one again.

I much prefer a .38 Airweight as a hideout gun though.
    I would agree with that choice for an EDC gun in the pocket. It's not hard to carry, is reliable and actually DOES hit "like a .38!"

It just seems to me.......that if I'm going to carry a gun, then I want a gun that's capable of doing the job. That job means putting someone down before they kill or seriously injure me. "Any" gun won't do.

If I had to restrict myself to pocket carry, I'd look at the Kahr PM-9 and PM-40, possibly the Kahr .45, or any of the lightweight .38/.357 J-frames.

I'd also use a pocket holster, never carry it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by John R. Fraps View Post
    and at least two 357's loaded with 38 Spl. FMJ's......
    Why on earth have you chosen FMJ's for a defensive round ?

Must plan on shooting extremely obese people and need the penetration.

At home/around the house, I generally have one single, solitary item on me - my Benchmade Griptilian 551 D2.

When I'm out and about town, I've got:
    -551 Griptilian
    -Case CV medium trapper in amber bone
    -keychain, which has Leatherman P4 and small Streamlight
    -wallet
    -glasses rag
    -small spiral notepad
    -pen

When I walk my dog at night, I add a larger, fiercely bright flashlight and a Cold Steel SRK.

Quote Originally Posted by John R. Fraps View Post
    WOW Guys,
    Honestly I am inpressed! I'd prefer if you are carrying knives that they be handmade/custom made....but I'm obviously biased that way....
    hey john,

here is my current edc rotation. kinda what i feel like carrying on any given day, one fixed and one folder.

all are users. whatcha think of my choices?

Quote Originally Posted by ashtxsniper View Post
    Must plan on shooting extremely obese people and need the penetration.
    Thing is, every factory FMJ .38 load that I'm aware of doesn't even make MINOR power factor. (bullet weight X velocity / 1000)

If I shot an IDPA or IPSC match with it, they wouldn't even bother to keep score, as the "power" of the load would be too low to count.

And that's against PAPER badguys !

Mori, Dude! Quit that! That Lightfoot is winking at me.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInvestigator View Post
    Mori, Dude! Quit that! That Lightfoot is winking at me.

i highly reccomend the lightfoot!!! im planning on getting a 460 mag in the near future.

great guy too!! i met him at the plaza cutlery show last year.

Quote Originally Posted by David E View Post
    Thing is, every factory FMJ .38 load that I'm aware of doesn't even make MINOR power factor. (bullet weight X velocity / 1000)

If I shot an IDPA or IPSC match with it, they wouldn't even bother to keep score, as the "power" of the load would be too low to count.

And that's against PAPER badguys !

I have some handloaded 125rn 357 mag fmj's that move around 1900 fps I made for stopping cars should the need arise.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtxsniper View Post
    I have some handloaded 125rn 357 mag fmj's that move around 1900 fps I made for stopping cars should the need arise.
    From a handgun ?

I need that load recipe !!

First, allow me to say that I am not a real person. I am the manifest avatar of an experimental AI. :P

I think one of the things that comes into play with the origional question is how do we define EDC? Does it mean only the things you carry in your pockets and on your belt, or do we also allow an EDC bag? Do we allow the stuff in our cars? I'll allow a bag, so long as you drag it with you everywhere, ala Linus and his blanket, but not a bag that you leave in your car or in your desk more than 50% of the time when you are at work.

So, semantical clarification aside...

On my person:
    LM Supertool, McFeely Pocket Wrench, Gerber Infinity, an el cheapo folding karambit, thumbdrive (it is a tool). Sometimes a Vic Nomad. (Unless I'm feeling lazy and don't get dressed past sweats, in which case it is the Infinity and the Nomad, and everything else goes in the bag of tricks.)

On my keychain:
    LM Micra, Mag Solitaire, Bison whistle (or a very good knock off- I got it as a promo)

In my bag:
    Versadriver (with a bunch of bits, metric and imperial sockets, 2" and 6" socket extensions, and fingertip driver), Vic Climber, LM E4, real wirecutters, MiniMag w/ LED conversion kit, box cutter, more thumbdrives and CDs, and a lot of other stuff that is neither tools nor knives nor lights.

When I bother to carry (I know, it is probably going to bite me one of these days) it is a P-32 or a S&W M-36 with a 3" barrel. I've carried more at times, but I don't have the problems I used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle Alan View Post
    I also have a .32 Ivor Johnson with pearl handles. Would like them on the Colt but afraid I'd ruin 100 yo mother of-pearl

UNcle Alan
    Cool. I love all the old little pocket revolvers. I always rather fancied the idea of a Colt Pocket Positive in .32. Not for anything serious, just to carry in my in pocket for fun (with apologies to Jim Croce ).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
    Eject! Eject! Eject!

if ya saw her ya would understand its not a bad gig lol, usually a real sweetie too.

Quote Originally Posted by David E View Post
    From a handgun ?

I need that load recipe !!

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information