Thread: Spyderco G2 steel?

Spyderco G2 steel?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just purchased an Endura with G2 steel. From what I understand, it is not one of the better steels out there, but what would it be similar to? This would be as far as sharpening and edge retention. AUS6, AUS8, 440A, 440C? Anyone that can give me a little info would be great. Thanks

I know this really isn't a hot topic, but I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

I only have a couple of Gin-1/G2 knives, so my experience is limited, but it seems to me to hold an edge a bit better than AUS8, much better than AUS6 or 440A, at least on a par with 440C. It sharpens fairly easily and seems to be quite corrosion resistant, judging by the way my girlfriend takes care of her G2 Delica SE . I usually have to wash the dried mud out of the serrations to see just how bad they are before I sharpen it. Never have seen any rust on it, though.

A girl i raft with had a spyderco in G2, seemed like a nice knife to me, plus she had it on her PFD a lot and it didnt have any rust.

You will get rust spots on G2 if you don't wipe it dry, although I have been able to rub the spots away using my thumb. I'd compare it to AUS 8 in performance or just a tad below. First hand experience using my Delica SE, blue one on bottom.
    "I'll get there when I get there."
    Rat Pack #130

Sal from an old thread. It's better than:

Surgical steel (the worst - actually a "throw-a-way" steel [304])
    420J2
    425 modified
    AUS-6
    AUS-8
    440A
    440B

It yields to;

ATS-34
    ATS-55
    154CM
    AUS-10
    VG-10
    BG-42
    CPM steels

the above is for comparisons of common stainless knife steels.
    If anybody knows it's Sal. Joe

It's just a name Spyderco used for a while for GIN-1, so anything you've ever read about GIN-1 would apply to G-2. It's a darn good steel, may not hold an edge quite as well as the super-steels of today, but it takes as good a one as any of them and certainly holds it well enough for most purposes.

Thread Information